Online Badminton Rating System

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Netasia, May 20, 2006.

1. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

Hi people, I've read many posting about various level of play. I myself also experience in situation where I went to an "begainner" group which turn out that they are all advance players, didn't really enjoy the session.

I've develope an online Badminton Skill Rating System for non-competitive players. I hope with this system, we can now standardise the rating and able to seek for the similar level of group to join.

Check out http://www.badminton-network.com and do give me your feedback here so that we can all help to improve the system.

2. drop_n_net

drop_n_net Regular Member

Student
    Maybe you can add things like crosscourt clears, dropshot, smash. and maybe if you are familiar with the doubles rotation.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    too much emphasis on stroke skills and not other more important skills.
    I got a high number which i think i don't deserve

4. Krillin99

Krillin99 Regular Member

Student
    haha got a 3.5...is that low?

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

too little emphasis on footwork. too much on fancy skills like jumpsmashes, backhandsmashes etc.

-do you perform spil/scissors jumpsto get a shuttle in the backcourt?
    -do you use splitdrops when taking of from your base?
    -do you understand the difference in strategies between mixed doubles and regular doubles?
    -do you understand the difference in rotation between mixed doubles and regular/same-*** doubles?

those should get a better rating...

I got an 8,4...that's not right....
    -assuming Lin Dan gets a 10, I should get a 3.
    -assuming beginner is o to 4. inetrmediate 4 to 7 advance 7 tot 10....I'm not thát good!

6. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

Maybe the questionaire can clarify if u are talking about execute a shot in a practice drill or during match conditions. (or maybe a practice drill that simulates match conditions ... i.e. footwork involved, not just standing in one place).

If you can execute the shot during a practice drill, it doesn't mean that you can execute the shot under pressure. Similarly, the quality and speed of your opponents also makes a difference. If you play good opponents, where the speed of the game and the precision of the shots against you increases a notch, you find that shots that you found easy to play against weaker opponents become no so easy.

7. DutchRion

DutchRion Regular Member

Student
    I believe if its basically to 'grade' someone, i think mental issues should be questioned as well (if you get under pressure, do you use a lot of 'escape shots') etc, ou can perform the most wonderful techniques, but if you are incapable managing yourself out of lets say bad positions, this should be rated as well.

8. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

yes i should have include those questions, however I'm afraid we might end up with 50 questions, not sure if people will bother to answer all of that.

9. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

Congratulations on your high BSR, that mean you are familiar with most of the stroke.

Yes, i agree that BSR emphasise much on the ability to execute various stroke with high degree on success, but that doesn't mean that we will execute them in a game play. I believe it takes some experience to know what is the best stroke to execute in various situtation.

10. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

BSR is for non-competitive players, Lindan is not a BSR 10, he might be a 20-30 instead. This BSR system is to standardise a rating system to rate one's technical stroke ability so that he/she's can find a players of the own standard.

I believe when you are familiar with the stroke, it only take some experience to know when is the best time to execute them. Knowing the stroke doesn't mean you're good player, but rather on how often do you execute them to score point.

11. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

totally agree with you, knowing how to execute the stroke in practice and executing in a game play is totally different.

Thanks for your feedback, i should include the statement that one should do the BSR with reference to their game play. How successful can they execute the stroke in a game play.

12. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

I think that would pretty much depend on that person's experience and talent. BSR is just a tool to rate the techincal stroke ability, but doesn't include experience.

One may know how to execute a stroke, but might not be able to do it in a game play due to the lack of experience.

For example, I may be able to do a forehand lift, forehand net or crosscourt net, but when the opponent do a dropshot, I will just keep lifting all the dropshot, which is a bad idea, as I may do a one half-court lift and will always be in defensive position. This is because I lack the experiece in game play, thus no confident in excuting a forehand net or crosscourt net to turn the situation around.

13. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    lol.. 9.3 :)

after almost 20 years practice and playing division 2/1 in my local league - i should think so too :d

14. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Personally, I don't think a player (even just a recreational one), can be determined by a simple questionaire.

That aside, I feel that the questions put too much emphasis on stroke production. Perhaps footwork and shot selection are neglected because one cannot find ways to assess them based on a set of simple questions.

Even within the stroke production department, it is not possible, from a simple questionaire, to decide on the quality of the various standard strokes. The actual game-play quality of a stroke depends a lot on one's own shot selection, as well as the opponent's selection of shots, which in turn depends on whether one (as compared to the opponent) has the footwork to get into position to execute the shot.

Discounting all these interrelated factors, there are so many stroke production subtleties that cannot be assess by asking a series of questions. For example, for the forehand clear, there is the question of whether the stroke can be distinguished from a drop or a smash. There is also the question of whether the player have good control over a defensive clear versus an offensive clear, and whether these are of good quality.

15. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    just a suggestion:
    the number of years and how often they play shouldn't really matter... some people are fast learners, while other's aren't. playing for longer periods of time doesn't necessarily determine how good they are;; it's how they make use of the time that actually matters :eek:

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Even though, the questions are not perfect, but I think your intention is good. One more source of helping players is always nice. Of course, all the ratings are very subjective, and could only be used for reference.

However, I still think the best way to see whether a club fits for you or not, is to actual pay a visit or two, and see how the general crowd like. Skill level is just one of the many factors. Other could be the price, location, facility condition, schedule, how friendly the players are, etc. ;)

17. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i think the group of players make the biggest difference.
    for sure, if the general skill level of the group is too high, it won't be that good of a mix, but hey, every club has their share of beginners and advanced players.
    and even higher level players who are friendly and open will definitely find a way to involve the lower level players in a way that is most beneficial for all.

besides, it'll be a good reinforcement for how well their know their stuff.
    theres no better way of determining that than how well you can impart that knowledge to someone else. right?

i answered the questionaire based on shots i can or cannot do in most game situations. then i realized thats when consistency and who i'm playing against plays a big part of my score... but even though i'm highly inconsistent, i still scored a high 6.
    i agree it'll be good for a rough judge of play level, but it'll only go as far as rating players, similar to that scales that tennis players have in determining their play level. i find their scales are very strongly based on practical stroke skills also...

#17 chickenpoodle, May 22, 2006
    Last edited: May 22, 2006
  18. jonjon_cbc89

jonjon_cbc89 Regular Member

student
    the rating system isn't extremly accurate but not bad. I just play for funn, i put almost everything yes, except for all those questions related to the backhand and ever participating in national tournaments. I think if you answer the last one with a yes, you would probably get atleasy 7 or higher.

19. Blade

Blade Regular Member

7.5 :(
    been playing 8 years

20. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

The survey is good, but IMHO the choices are a little too black or white with no shades of gray. That may be suitable for some questions, but for others not so. For instance, one asking whether you're always in position to execute your shot. Lin Dan won't be able to answer "yes" to this question. :) Most of the time, may be, but certainly not always. So, if I were to make a suggestion, I'd say to look over those questions and, for each of them, see what sort of answer is appropriate (e.g., yes/no, never/sometimes/usually/always, rate 1--5/1--10, etc.).

But, overall, it's a very commendable effort to take the time to compile those questions and put them online. Keep it up and it may very well be adopted by USA Badminton or somebody. :)