short player v.s tall player

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by snowboy2008, May 20, 2006.

1. snowboy2008

snowboy2008 Regular Member

hello everyone:

i play badminton with a tall player appr 6'' and i am only 5''5. everytime i clear, i always give him a chance to smash. his long serve are so high and i always ended up looking at the celing lights. so i get blinded temporerily. he just seem to be able to attack no matter what i do.:crying: Can you guy give me some strageties on how to beat a tall guy???

2. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

Higher and deeper clears. Move to get behind the shuttle.

Height difference shouldn't really matter. You could be playing someone shorter and if your clears aren't good enough, they get smashed back. And you would still need to move to get behind the shuttle.

3. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    If they constantly serves high to the back and you are unable to return clear high and to the back of their court because you lack technique or strength, then try mixing returning it with a back-court smash at a good angle and drop shots from the back, and cross-court drop shots, different speeds etc. Variation is important.

4. Youngunz_77

Youngunz_77 Regular Member

If the person constantly attacks you ... work on your defense. Try doing cross court returns from his smashes to make him run the full length. Try to use the element of suprise when he lifts the shuttle, mix it up, a drop shot- a smash, or a clear should make him tired. You should have a speed advantage on your opponent so try to return the birdie fast, control the pace ;)

5. PandaLord

PandaLord Regular Member

Student
    Hey, don't let height be the factor in this, i'm around your height and i personally know that if i lose its because of these magical reasons:

1) Bad footwork - Cant reach ball to give good return
    2) Bad technique - Giving them a chance to control the game.
    3) Careless - Giving them free points

Most likely #1 and #2 is your problem, not height.

6. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

If your clears suck then dont clear!!!!! Use drops off of his high serves and return his smashes flat or just over the net...Make him play the net where you should have the advantage....Also use cross court drives to mid-court...
    GOOD LUCK :D

7. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    Hi
    I agree with everything that's been said here from the other correspondents.
    But speaking as someone who's only 5'3", may I suggest two things?
    1. Footwork, Footwork, Footwork! You can have all the technique in the world, but it won't mean anything if you're not in position early and have time to choose your shots - you must control the rally.
    I dispute the assertion that someone who is tall will automatically hit the shuttle harder or further than someone smaller. Extra height does give you an advantage regarding the angle of smash; they can take it higher and earlier, and in theory, it should be steeper. But that's all! You both have the capability to use a full range of strokes where extra height and reach make little difference. Unless you don't move early, don't read your opponent's game, and end up constantly chasing the shuttle!
    2. Psychology. Taller players can be physically intimidating if they tower over you, and you can end up feeling like they're unbeatable and give up before you've even started. You can then end up playing lots of loose and weak shots, displaying poor body language, and using any number of reasons/excuses for your defeats.
    I always try and appear confident, positive, hungry, assertive, aggressive, and intimidating. I use my speed and tactics and reading of the game to make up for any height and reach disadvantages. I try not to blame the lights/floor/speed of the shuttles/temperature of the hall etc. for my performance. I lose because I didn't play to my full potential, or I made too many mistakes, or I was overconfident, or simply that my opponent was better than me - and I need to improve!
    To sum up: look at improving your footwork and movement around court. Try not to be defeatist - no one is unbeatable. Focus on yourself and your abilities and where you need to improve, not your opponent's brilliance. Be positive and take responsibility for your game.
    Good luck!
    Best Wishes
    Derek

8. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Easiest solution which should apply to anyone, dont hit it up, unless you have to clear because you are out of posistion. Then clear it right to the back line high and deep which gives you time to get into posistion. Hit the bird hard and flat.

Dont clear it half court and allow the opposistion to smash.

If the opposistion does smash then return the smash short, or right to the back line. Something we practice ever week is smash, block and clear. A serves, B smashes, A blocks (placing the shuttle) B smashes and repeat.

9. franxon

franxon Regular Member

if you are shorter, you must be faster. if you are shorter and slower, it is almost M:I:III.

i remember what coach told was: make him run, make him bent. make sure your shots are deceiving.

10. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    Try hard drives towards his midsection. I'm about 5"9, and it's hard for me to bend down or move out of the way when a shuttle gets driven hard at my body.

11. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    It seems your clears do not go high and back.Instead of looking at the lights move behind the bird and hit.Take it as a challange to clear his high service ceiling height and landing close to the baseline.Then you can understand that height is not a very important factor.I am 6'1" and I get a slight advantage in angle of smashing and range.Short men can cover up that advantage by good jumps and speed.

12. heijihattori

heijihattori Regular Member

former uni student...sales consultant
    hey 5'5...isn't too bad...I mean its not the best of heights for singles...but it is pretty adequate I guess. Like what everyone else said...make use of your speed or train to increase it. Your shot selection should be attacking...so smashing, driving...dropping...clear too..but limit this as the opponent is taller they can control the game more and lets face it they can probably hit it anywhere they want with it....maybe some attacking clears so the shuttle comes at them faster to the back corners?...but mostly work on ur speed and ur attack...I mean I don't think you should really try to clear as high as the ceiling...you're just giving the opponent more time to reach the shuttle and play a shot...just my opinion though

13. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    foot work and speed around the court. thats what will win you matches. If you already have good shot selection and know how to hit the bird, then footwork and speed will allow you to get to the shuttle quickly.

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Keep the strokes to be flat, and don't give too much height for him to smash down. However, if he has better drop and drives as well, there's nothing much you can do at this moment, besides practice footwork and your stroke quality/consistency for future improvement. ;)

15. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    I think you are absolutely right.I suggested to clear high and back cas I felt from his description that his clears are not in proper line.Only to make his clears correct I made the above suggestion.

16. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    I agreewith LazyBuddy here. Keep doing alot of drives. Since he's tall, it would be more more difficult for him to return net drives (I find body shots somewhat difficult as well). I've read somewhere that you can try aiming to the body then aim to the corner. Since these two shots require two radical movements (one really short and one really long), it's going to be more difficult for him to return. :)

Keith

17. jiayou

jiayou Regular Member

just see Hendrawan from Indonesia "Men Single Player" , he is about 168-170cm , but he beat alot of tall player. Do you watch how he play ?

He smashed alot as well, not because of his height. But he jumped 50cm or more :)

You need Training to get good ball control & Good Tactic from experince.

18. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

im 5 feet or 5'1 or 5'2 lol

well if ur short good thing u dont have to reach for the ball much, like when smashes and drops. makes u tired =)

19. jerby

jerby Regular Member

yeah that's true. less bending over and reaching...

however more reaching when shuttles don't come your way..like attacking clears;)

20. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Yeah ... I'm about 5'2-ish and quickness is really important for someone who is short. Your opponent can easily hit a shot behind you. Also, for smashes and stuff, the angle is less steep if you are shot. Even if I do try to jump, my angle would be as steep as an average person's without jumping. :(

Also see:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20635&highlight=tall+short

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16414&page=5&highlight=tall+short