backhand serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by overclocker11, May 21, 2006.

1. overclocker11

overclocker11 Regular Member

i have problem with my backhand serve....when i serve,people will easily smash it back or my serve is short...how do i get perfect backhand serve?i know its all about trajectory but i cant get it...i always give people points for my seve:(..

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    quite easy, just lots of practice.
    there is no other ways around that.

btw, what cpu r u overclocking? what 'cooler' are u using?:D

3. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Nothing beats just plain practice, but you can also vary the trajectory and also the speed and timing. If you have a rushing type player you can hold the bird alittle longer or shorter to throw off their timing. Second you can increase the speed of the shuttle, preferably to serve quickly to their racket hand in hope of jamming their shot when they charge in. If they are not rushing and you are losing points...that is just a case of practice practice practice. Hope that helps

4. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    I've played with players who rush the backhand serve before. After a while of that, I just served it a bit short of the service line. It's a little bit risky, but everytime I did that they'd either give me an easy lift if they can't drop it, or hit it into the net.

Like Cooler and V1lau said, just practice a lot and you'll eventually improve your serve. Variation also works as well. The more you try to backhand serve, the easier it is for your opponent to return the shuttle.

5. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

it seems your serve is always too high or too short, take a step back and dont try to get it right on the service line everytime, as long as it isnt high enough to smash and at most a foot away from the service line, it is good enough.

6. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

practice, use proper backhand grip, try slicing above the birdie slightly, like top spin in tennis, but you'll have to swing a bit harder. or try to hit the shuttle within the first 3 cross strings on the top of the racquet, the strings are stiffer there and give less repulsion. but other then that, the best thing you can do is practice, it will get better fastest if you practice more with proper technique.

7. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    I taught myself backhand serve and I found, when done consistently and confidently, that it was harder to attack than my forehand serve.
    I learnt by observation - I looked closely at other people's serve I admired and adapted bits to suit me. Some people serve with a locked wrist and use their elbow as a pivot. Others lock the elbow and use the wrist as a pivot. Practise at home getting your service action into a "groove", so that it becomes smooth and consistent. Then practise on court using a shuttle to get a feel for speed, trajectory, accuracy, and distance. Finally, practise gripping your racket and serving using only your thumb and first finger right at the top of the shaft, with your other three fingers lower down and gripped lightly
    This is a shot about touch and feel so you don't need to hit it hard.
    Hope this helps.
    Best Wishes
    Derek

8. Carbonex_21

Carbonex_21 Regular Member

engineer
    I have the same problem too. Especially when we under pressure & play against aggresive opponent, definitely he will rush towards and kill your serve. But here is a few tips for you(if you still want to play short serve istead of long/high/flick serve);

1) change direction of of your serve to the side/tramlines instead of to the center court - as he rush forward, hopefully he will confused and lost his timing for the net kill.

2) if you persist want to sending shuttle to the center, just focus on your serve, and play as usual, be confident, don't worry about if your serve is high, or short, or stuck, set in mind that you are ready to hit back the shuttle if he rush forward the net. If you have this confidence, it will give you a quality short serve and you will be back in the game.

3) if your serve still high, you better find solution how to improve your serve. Or the other way is, find solution how to deal with opponent's rush net kill. Try to read where the shuttle would go if he hit the shot ie. most of the time he will push to the left? right? or center? and get your racket position prepare to response for his hit.

I dont know, that is what i can give. I hope any of those will help.

9. nelsonkong

nelsonkong Regular Member

Quantity Surveyor
    Practice and practice is the answer...i think i am good at backhand serve....it will always just pass the net and ended right after the line...people can't smash it..XD..

10. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Yep, practice makes perfect. Here are some tips though.

1. Gripping higher up to the cone can improve your accuracy. There's more mechanical advantage.

2. Insert some shuttlecocks at the net tape. Now you have some targets. :) Just keep trying to knock em' out.

11. overclocker11

overclocker11 Regular Member

thanx guys...i'll practice more on my backhand serve..

btw cooler...rite now using latop..waiting 4 socket am2 to arrive...:rolleyes: b4 this play with watercooling;)

12. olle_whitehead

olle_whitehead Regular Member

for my back-hand serve i go into a little ritual which is as follows

1)stand square to the net with both feet just behind the service line
    2) present the racket as in back-hand serve
    3) find a spot on the frame of the racket to rest my thumb on
    4) simply and gentally push the shuttle over the net in my opinion no wrist should be used at all

13. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

For me, using the proper grip and choking it up to the cone helped alot. And then the rest is just practise and practise. Even when I am home, using ruler..I measuer the height on the wall...and put a string from one wall to another....then using tape i measure from the string to "serve" side and put tape on the floor and then the same for the other side....then just practise :D my girlfrend was kinda annoyed..but oh well, i just tell her that i really need the practice. Of course u can practise only the low serve at home...

bchaiyow

14. Clecwm

Clecwm Regular Member

I used to hav tt problem too. A good backhand serve would glide just pass the net n start descending right away. If it doesnt and carry on ascending, it would be returned with a smash. Try not to simply "tap" the shuttle, add a little slice to it if u cant control the strength u use for the serve. I always exert too much force n it ends up a bad serve. I would add slice so tt the full force isnt applied. hope it helps.

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I recommend that you do not use slice for your (straight) low serves, unless you are trying to perfect a low serve that is already excellent.

Slicing the low serve can be great, but you need to put in huge amounts of practice to get it consistent.

16. will12

will12 Regular Member

im not very good at backhand serve atm.... bcos the grip is slightly different when doing it. however... i do find that the best place too serve in doubles is in the tram line corner closest to you..

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It depends on your opponents. Some opponents have a particular weakness.

In general, however, the best serve is the straight low serve to the T. At high levels of play, this serve is used more often than any other.

18. Wurmer

Wurmer Regular Member

That's pretty much where most of my serves go but I add some long serves and side line drives in the mix to keep my opponents on his toes.

As for backhand serve, if that can be of any confort to you, it took me about a year, (3 times a week/9 months) to get a decent mastery of that serve. I would come early at the club and pratice serving alone for about 1/2 an hour. That way, you have no pressure whatsoever and you have the time to get hang of how things are working.

19. morewood

morewood Regular Member

OK but the serve to the short T is the only teaching method I have experienced. Fine to mix it up when you have that sorted, but basics first, short serve should take the shortest route.

Method I use with our juniors is stand there (mark it with tape) and put a clothes peg on the net tape and "aim at that"......... two dozen feathers later and its time to try again. Very few ever hit the peg, most develop a decent low serve.

20. lukisa

lukisa Regular Member

Wurmer, what club(s) do you play in?