Tube Number Ratings?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by keith_aquino, May 22, 2006.

1. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Hi, I've been wondering what are these stickers on shuttlecock tubes? :confused: This one says "76". Is it just some kind of factory sticker or does it have a purpose for us?

Thanks in advanced!
    Keith

2. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Its the speed of the shuttles. In Australia we have 49, 50, 51's and 52's. 52's are the fastest shuttles, we only use these shuttles in training. But other states use these shuttles in tournaments.

3. keith_aquino

Hey thanks. :) But what kind of measurement are they using? Hmm... feet per second? :confused:

4. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    I dont know that answer actually. Im not sure, maybe its a measurement?

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Shuttle Speed Number is measurement in weight

I just posted to my club members about this matter at http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32267&goto=newpost (post #98) and I thought I will share the info with you too.

In general, the speed of a shuttlecock depends on its weight. The heavier, the farther it will fly.

The weight of a shuttle is measured in grains or in decigrams. 1 grain = .648 decigram.

So if you want faster shuttles, go for heavier shuttles. Usually, heavier shuttles are used when the air is colder/denser.

Here is my recommendation for what speed is best used at what hall temperature. I will list it here for you as the Best Speed in Grains/Decigrams(@Temperature): 75/47(@30C), 76/48(@25C), 77/49(@20C), 78/50(@15C), 79/51(@10C).

Cheers... chris@ccc

#5 chris-ccc, May 22, 2006
    Last edited: May 22, 2006
  6. keith_aquino

Thanks Chris! :)

7. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    The number indicates the speed of the shuttles, in general, the higher the number, the faster it is but different regions have different numbering. The speed of a shuttle is dependable on temperature of the hall, its weight and the altitude that the hall is located in. For example, in warmer climates, the shuttle will be faster than in colder climate and faster at higher altitude than lower (since the air is thinner). The only way to measure whether a shuttle is the right speed for current playing conditions is to test the shuttle according to the procedures listed in the Laws of Badminton. If the shuttle is too fast, then you can adjust it by bending the tips of the feathers outwards or if it's too slow, the tips will be bent inwards. Normally if you need to adjust the speed, you would start with bending the tips of every fourth feather and if you need to adjust some more, then every second and then finally every feathers.

Your retailers will have stock the right speed shuttles for your playing conditions and the only thing you needed to do is to adjust the speed by tipping the feather tips.