jump smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by snowboy2008, May 22, 2006.

1. snowboy2008

snowboy2008 Regular Member

is there a big difference between jump smash and normal smash. i am about 5"5 and my smash aren't very powerful. should i start learning jump smash?

2. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    If your normal smashes aren't very powerful, learning a jump smash won't help you much.

Your height won't effect the power of your smash. Learn the basic technique first, and improve on that.

3. Carbonex_21

Carbonex_21 Regular Member

engineer
    the big different is;
    Normal Smash - you dont jump.
    Jump Smash - you must jump.:D
    and I think jumping smash is more powerful because in the air u can stretch yr body to its limit to get max swing power.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    However, much harder to control the timing, and takes longer to recover in balance. :rolleyes:

5. Carbonex_21

engineer
    I agree.

Jumping smash is an advance skills in badminton. U should master the basic skills of normal smash first. check yr smashing technique whether it was executed in correct way. And when the time comes, jumping smash will be a easy and become a nature to u.

btw, my smashes are not so powerful as well:p . but i love to jump when do smashing.

6. frankcent

frankcent Regular Member

Hi, I have a question about jump smash too. I can perform a decent smash with at least one foot on the ground or off the air for a very short period of time, mainly for body rotation. I find it hard to rotate my body when Im jumping as hard as I can. Can someone point out how to properly rotate your body when you jump?

7. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

jump smash = pro move, since it drains stamina like crazy, and is esentially a harder move to do. depends, most of my jump smashes seem harder then my normal ones but i think that is just do to the shorter distance it travels since you get more angle from it. also its easier to screw up during a jump smash then a normal one. once you are pro with normal smash, jump smash is easier.

8. Carbonex_21

engineer
    It is difficult to describe by words. I advise u to watch how professional players perform the jumping smashes from previous international tournaments. Most of their smashing technique looks similar (ie. lin dan, LCW, Taufik...). I also still don't get how they do it even if i watch it many times at my TV.

But from what i saw were;
    1. ready to jump - yr body perpendicular to the net, racket hand up at behind, non-racket hand stretched forward pointing to the shuttle falling towards u.
    2. jump high - with both legs - bend knee/heels up/lower leg parallel to the floor (when u r at maximum height & ready to hit).
    3. at/before shuttle contact - twist yr body so that it you r now facing the net - at the same time, yr elbow move from back, to yr side, and to the top while yr hand rotate yr racket so that racket head move around yr back (from non-racket side, rotate downward, and move upward from bottom of yr back, to the top (to hit the shuttle), and then follow thru). at the same time, yr non-racket hand will move from fully stretched forward, then bend and fold to yr chest (get a DVD and watch how they done it:D )
    4. then u land, with yr body facing the net, or more in angle.

I never try it before but I will start practice the move tonight:p . Good luck to u & me.

9. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    It can naturally for me as i started with a small mini hop to a full jump. For me my body will automatically turn as i swing. Your body should turn as you swing your racket.

10. PhuzyBuny

PhuzyBuny Regular Member

I believe the main purpose of a jump smash is to gain a height advantage. In that breif moment, the angle at which you smash is greatly increased, thus you can aim down farther. It's not necessarily a professional move. In many games, jump smashes are rarely used unless they know they have an absolute advantage. The reason why it drains power and stamina is because professionals utilize as much power as possible to drive the shuttlecock down as fast as possible to finish the rally. A jump smash that does not utilize all your power can also be very effective.

11. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

i have a problem rotating my body in the air when i am doing a jump smash. and timing also. what to do?

12. Phydhel

Phydhel Regular Member

Actually its just repetition until you eventually get "enlightened", it comes naturally if you repeatedly use a skill. Training under a coach will help as they feed you hundreds of shuttles and you just smash away, slowly you'll get the rhythm and it will only be complete when you can confidently execute it in a real game.

I am still training the jump smash myself, but I use it more often in doubles, in singles i dont really get the chance, to execute a jumpsmash in singles is on another level, because the returns are high and it messes with your timing, you have to rush to the back, get into position, and leap off and snap at the right time, not mentioning the generous amount of hardcore confidence it takes. you can start by jump smashing shuttles coming to your fore-hand side, for me its the easiest angle to execute a jump smash, because when you see it coming, you will naturally feel the rhythm, and the urge to move towards it, jump ,and smash it down like a fine lad.

this is just my personal view of the jump smash :)

#12 Phydhel, Jun 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  13. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

get really good at the grounded smash and it comes naturally.

14. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

yes thats how i learnt also, but i actually did small hops for clears just to get the timing, then i build on the hieght for clears since clears are an easier shot then a smash since you dont gotta worry about getting it as low and tight to the net as possible. once you got the timing, you just hit it down instead of up and voila, a jump smash. however initially your smash would normally be very high up the net, then you gotta keep consiistently jumping at the same hieght and get the angling right. takes alot of practice and work.

15. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    scissor kick jump smash is easier then full out jump smash-->learned it within a session but in doubles u dont use it much, u use the full out stretch wiht the knee's bent and back flexed one more since u have cover.

16. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    At the moment, i'm only a junior county level player, but my standing smash is very powerful for my size and standard, simply becasue of my tecnique, its all about timing and using your muscles in unison. Try this, relax, completley, do not even tense up a bit, when u hit the smash, really explode, and i mean really put everything you have into it, it should work, the first time i tried it was a great feeling.

Secondly, i agree that a jump smash is a much more advanced tecnique, i actually tend to whip my jump smashs to increase the angle, its not as powerful as my normal smash, but i'm accurate, so steep smashes that are hugging the line and hit the floor infront of your opponent are much more effective than fully blasted smashes.