My thoughts on the Indonesia Open Draws

Discussion in 'Indonesia Open 2006 / Philippine Open 2006' started by badMania, May 23, 2006.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Starting with the MD, where Team Indonesia's hope lies. Indonesia is certainly represented by many pairs, this being the home grand prix. However, I will mainly only focus on the Pelatnas pairs, with emphasis on the young pairs. The main core of Pelatnas pairs in order of experience and ranking are the top seeded Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto; Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan (surprisingly not seeded); Hendra A. Gunawan/Joko Riyadi, Yoga Ugikasah/Yonathan Suryatama Dasuki, and Rendra Wijaya/Frans Kurniawan

Despite the absence of top Chinese, Malaysian, and Danish pairs in the draws, there are plenty of mouth-watering clashes, as early as Round 1/32. Some old names such as Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya and Bambang Suprianto/Tri Kusharyanto. Some newly formed pair of veterans such as Flandy Limpele/Sigit Budiarto and combi of veteran+young player in Eng Hian/Rian Sukmawan (representing Djarum club). There is also a newly formed Danish pair of Thomas Laybourn/Lars Paaske (due to Carsten Mogensen's injury).

Quarter 1
    Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto (1)
    Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae (5/8)
    -- Definitely a tough quarter for Luluk/Alvent to be in. They are drawn against Eng Hian/Rian in Round 1/32 and probably Zheng Bo/Gong Weijie in Round 1/16. Both are tricky ties, but, they should be able to win. Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae should not have a problem in Round 1/32, facing an unknown local pair. The tough match begins in Round 1/16, where they have an interesting match against either Thomas Laybourn/Lars Paaske or Bambang Suprianto/Tri Kusharyanto. I place my bet on the Korean pair to qualify to the quarter-final for an explosive encounter with Luluk/Alvent. Luluk/Alvent have a slight edge.

Quarter 2
    Mohd Tazari Mohd Fairuzizuan/Lin Woon Fui (3/4)
    Guo Zhendong/Xie Zhongbo (5/8)
    -- The young Malaysian pair should not have a problem winning their first 2 matches en-route to the quarter-final. Their opponent will be either Guo/Xie or the defending champion Markis/Hendra. A real test for Markis/Hendra's credential as they are drawn againsts fellow young and upcoming pairs. They have not played Guo/Xie, but have beaten Mohd Tazari/Lin in the past. I put my money on them to qualify for the semi-final. Let's hope they don't disappoint.

Quarter 3
    Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya (5/8)
    Gan Teik Chai/Abdul Latif Mohd Zakry (3/4)
    -- Probably the most interesting quarter. Tony/Candra is back and they are immediately seeded 5/8. They are drawn against 2 young Pelatnas pairs Rendra Wijaya/Frans Kurniawan in Round 1/32 and possibly Yoga Ugikasah/Yonathan Suryatama Dasuki in Round 1/16. Yoga/Yonathan first have to first beat a qualifier and a Chinese Taipei pair before they can play against the ex Olympic champion.

Meanwhile, Hendra/Joko possibly have the worst possible sequence of matches. They should win their first match in Round 1/64 (facing a qualifier), but is drawn against either the Thai's no 1 pair Sudket Prapakamol/Phattapol Ngernsrisuk or Hwang Ji Man/Jung Tae Kuk. The Thai pair has just beaten Hendra/Joko in 3 close sets in the final of the Thailand Satellite. The winner of the Round 1/32 match will play against Gan/Abdul Latif in Round 1/16. It should be Tony/Candra vs Gan/Abdul Latif in the quarter-final. Tony/Candra to qualify from this quarter -- they are too strong for any pair.

Quarter 4
    Flandy Limpele/Sigit Budiarto (5/8)
    Anthony Clark/Robert Blair (2)
    -- Relatively straight forward and Flandy/Sigit should have no problem reaching the target of quarter-final, with matches against an Indian pair and the young Chinese pair of Shen Ye/He Hanbin. They will probably play against Clark/Blair in the quarter-final, a match that they could also win. Clark/Blair will probably meet the Jap pair Keita Masuda/Tadashi Ohtsuka in Round 1/16.

So, we could have an all-Indonesia semi-final, but, its not going to be easy for Luluk/Alvent and Markis/Hendra.

Personal hope: Markis/Hendra to retain their title...but chance is again very slim. Hendra/Joko and Yoga/Yonathan to reach at least Round 1/16.

Most likely scenario: Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya to be the champion. On paper, they look too strong for any pairs.

#1 badMania, May 23, 2006
    Last edited: May 23, 2006
  2. candra W

candra W Regular Member

omg poor Rendra.. he is drawn to meet his brother Candra in the first round..

3. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    Can someone record Tony & Candra's matches? :)

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think you're really clutching at straws expecting an all-INA semi. Luluk/Alven and Markis/Hendra have not performed well lately. They are very susceptible at the moment. Flandy/Sigit is a new pair. Who knows how they'll perform. Tony/Chandra (yes, I know everyone loves them) are back but can they click as before? I can see 2 INA pairs in the semis, maybe one MAS pair and a CHN pair.

5. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Here's some of my ramblings on the draws for MS

MEN'S SINGLES
    QUARTER 1:

Chong Wei LEE (1)
    Yu CHEN (9-16)
    Wei NG (5-8)
    Eric PANG (9-16)

LCW first tough tie will be against Yu CHEN. Lee should not have a problem. Meanwhile, Yu CHEN has to face Poompat SAPKULCHANANART in the first round and face Pawar ANAND in the second round, Yu CHEN can win easily! Ng Wei will possibly meet Eric PANG in the third round.

PREDICTION: No question about it, LCW to qualify

QUARTER 2:

Kenneth JONASSEN (3-4)
    Anand CHETAN (9-16)
    Taufik HIDAYAT (5-8)
    Bjoern JOPPIEN (9-16)

It’s hard to Predict this quarter, Kenneth JONASSEN faces Sheng Shiun LIAO in the first round and face Budi SANTOSO in the second round.It’s not difficult for him. The winner between Anand CHETAN and Li YU will meet Kenneth JONASSEN in the third round. Taufik HIDAYAT,who was playing after recovering from a back injury,so Kenneth JONASSEN should have a higher chance against Taufik HIDAYAT.

PREDICTION: Kenneth JONASSEN to qualify

QUARTER 3:

Simon SANTOSO (9-16)
    Boonsak PONSANA (5-8)
    Przemyslaw WACHA (9-16)
    Chunlai BAO (3-4)

Simon SANTOSO and Boonsak PONSANA will possibly meet in the third round. Boonsak PONSANA should have a higher chance against Simon SANTOSO.Their winner will meet Chunlai BAO in the QF.

PREDICTION: BCL to qualify

QUARTER 4:
    Shoji SATO (9-16)
    Sony Dwi KUNCORO (5-8)
    Andrew SMITH (9-16)
    Hyun Il LEE (2)

Shoji SATO,the japannese beat Taufik HIDAYAT in the TC,he will possibly meet Sony Dwi KUNCORO in the third round. Sony Dwi KUNCORO should have a higher chance win. Hyun Il LEE,the defending champion ,won runner-up in AE open,bye in first round, faces Marleve MAINAKY in the second round.It’s easy for him.In the third round ,he should beat Andrew SMITH. His first tough tie will be against Sony Dwi KUNCORO . I think Hyun Il LEE can beat Sony Dwi KUNCORO,but it’s a hard task.

PREDICTION: Hyun Il LEE to qualify

FINAL PREDICTION: Chong Wei LEE VS Chunlai BAO
     (The winner is Lee)

6. nelsonkong

nelsonkong Regular Member

Quantity Surveyor
    i thought lin dan is on the list??

opps he is not....just checked the draw list.
    Okay...LCW all the way then...

Look out for Tony Gunawan and Chandra Wijaya (USA)!!!!!

#6 nelsonkong, May 24, 2006
    Last edited: May 24, 2006
  7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yes, yes, yes, someone please record their matches and post it in the tournament video sharing thread. i haven't seen them play in a long time, and back then, i thought they were a much better combination than candra/sigit. this is great news for men's doubles!

8. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

personally, i think taufik will do well this time.
    he has a lot to prove, and it's home ground advantage, so i suspect he'll be going all out.
    so i'll say TH and CW/TG to win the MS and MD respectively.

9. event

event Regular Member

Don't hold your breath on Lee Hyun-il defending his title. He ceded a walkover in the Korean tournament he was in this week. One might guess this means an injury but I haven't heard that confirmed.

10. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Analyse the draw of Indonesia Open 2006

2006 Indonesia badminton open will hold in Surabaya next week. Some of the best shuttlers in the world have arrived in here to vie for the the 6* Indonesia badminton open title.

MS

Most top men singles players will be there to shine, except for lin Dan,Chen Hong,Peter Gade. Chong Wei LEE will be top seed in this event with a potential third round against Yu CHEN. Then the tall Dane Kenneth Jonassen or Taufik HIDAYAT will be in Lee's path,

Hyun Il LEE is at the other part of the draw,.He could be facing England’s Andrew SMITH in the third round before a possible clash against Marleve MAINAKY.

Chunlai BAO, with the 3rd seeding spot will be out to get his first title of last 5 years to prepare for his next target, the World Championships. He could be facing Boonsak PONSANA or Simon SANTOSO in quarter final.

WS

In the women's single ,China Hong Kong’s Wang Chen, also the title holder and world’s number 3 will defend her title in the first round against a qualifications player. Her opponent in the quarterfinals should be Kaori MORI of Japan. Mia AUDINA and Shao-Chieh CHENG will fight for a spot in the semi-final. Shao-Chieh CHENG could be facing Zhu Lin from China in the second round.

Germany Huaiwen XU will be the other top contestant in the top half of the draw, XU should be meet China rising star Lu Lan in the quarter final, while the bottom part should see Pi Hong yan and Yao Jie fight for a spot in the 1/4 final.

MD

The men's double event has gathered more players with the top shuttlers from Indonesia, Korea ,China and Malaysia who will fight for a title .

HADIYANTO Luluk/YULIANTO Alven are top seed and will against JUNG Jae Sung/LEE Yong Dae of Korea while on the other side of the draw, CLARK Anthony/BLAIR Robert will play LIMPELE Flandy/BUDIARTO Sigit.

Tony Gunawan of USA reunite WIJAYA Candra, will be face TEDY/ANDHIKA of Indonesia in the second round.

WD

If the ladies double event is almost a done deal for China – even they field 3 pairs out of the total of 32 competing this week - there could be some interesting fight in the first round clash between England’s best EMMS Gail/KELLOGG Donna and China's ZHANG Dan/ZHAO Tingting. The top seeds Yang and Zhang will face NEDELCHEVA Petya/DIMOVA Diana in the first round.

It could also be a good opportunity for Korea's LEE Kyung Won/LEE Hyo Jung to get important points before the World Championships with a possible spot in the semi final waiting for them. They'll have to beat a young Chinese pair and then Wei/Zhang if they want to make it that far. Then, OGURA Kumiko/SHIOTA Reiko, third seeds, will be probably waiting for them at this stage.

MX

Last but not least, the mixed doubles event will be for WIDIANTO Nova/NATSIR Liliyana the best way to prepare for the World Championships title they will be defending. The indonesia duo, are the top seed . WIDIANTO Nova/NATSIR Liliyana will start against Denmark’s PAASKE Lars/NIELSEN Helle, with an awaited probable quarter clash against CLARK Anthony/KELLOGG Donna of England. China ‘s XIE Zhongbo/ZHANG Yawen probably wait the indonesia duo in the semi-final.

On the other side of the draw,England’s ROBERTSON Nathan/EMMS Gail should face China’s ZHENG Bo/ZHAO Tingting in the quarter final,meet LEE Jae Jin/LEE Hyo Jung of Korea in the semi.

#10 seawell, May 24, 2006
    Last edited: May 24, 2006
  11. dugz86

dugz86 Regular Member

Tedy/andika is my friend from Bandung (Mutiara Elvana if i'm not wrong). They play very well especially Andika. In Bandung Andika can play single and win Bm 77 In Bandung. They also Finalist of cheers Singapore last year. The key of this pair is Andika.

12. seawell

seawell Regular Member

TEDY/ANDHIKA will face GAN /Zakry in the second round!

13. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Hoping he can recovery soon!

14. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

TONY and CHANDRA is gonna screw the others ~~~

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Wish i was there...

..badMania, where are your reviews of the other fields??..i'm sure MD is not the only one that counts..hehe;)

Anyways, as i posted before, i think there is a highly good chance Taufik will go deep and possibly win this yr's IO. There are 2 reasons:first, he is getting healthier and is getting in sync. Second, he will be playing for the last time for his coach, Mulyo, who is planning to leave Pelatnas after this IO. So as a parting gift, i'm sure he'll be putting out his best for his coach...My feeling is he will meet Sony Kuncoro in the Final...;) :rolleyes: :cool:

16. ricksakti

ricksakti Regular Member

Surgeon
    Tony/Candra? Hmmm.... damn old pairs, they do not have anything to show anymore. they are rotten man... I dont think they can beat those youngster...hahhaaa...

17. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

It's weird how Candra is playing for the USA :confused:

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Hehe...feeling a bit lazy to write...anyway some ppl already did it :p

19. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    chandra said he won't play under foreign country flag,

they will play as indonesia - usa player

20. candra W

candra W Regular Member

someone noticed candra is also playing mixed doubles with his sister?