jumping higher

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jgao_net, May 23, 2006.

1. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    im about 163cm and have a okay jump smash. can anyone list some simple exercises that could help me with my vertical. i dont really know what my vert is right now, maybe around 35-40cm approximately. ( i could be way off)

any suggestions would be great!

2. Carbonex_21

Carbonex_21 Regular Member

engineer
    Try to put something far above yr head (ie a beam, rod, vertical string etc). Then yr hands up & jump to reach it. If u can touch them, set it higher, then repeat jumping to touch them. Then set higher, and jump... practise as many times as u can. Record yr jump height to indicate yr improvement.

3. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Squats and calf raises with weights will help. Skipping helps a lot as well and will also help you with your foot work.

4. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    yep, i can recommend squats and calf raises too. also plyometrics and skipping will help your general explosiveness.

Coops

5. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    Leg extension and leg presses works well for me. Part of my badminton training warm-up is 100 squat jumping smash. Its like doing a normal jumping smash just that we have to squat as low as possible and explode up as high as we can. To make it harder sometimes my coach ask me to use a squash racket.

6. .:eha

.:eha Regular Member

Unemployed
    Skip ropes works awesome. Also try jumping like jas1121 says. I do it myself. That will improve much better.

7. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    There are a series of threads by Ruth1 where she describes her days experiences at an IBF training camp in China. She goes into quite a lot of detail about the training and the exercises they do. I've pasted one thread below but do a search for posts started by Ruth1 for the others

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25277

8. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Here's are some guidelines to follow. To begin, make sure to get your squat and deadlift up to at least 1.5x your body-weight. Maximum strength is the base quality which will help prepare you for the more jumping specific training.

Next comes a vertical jumping test. First, perform the test using the usual protocol: a jump with a countermovement. After a break, do another vertical jump except this time, pause for 4-5 seconds in the bottom of your squat before you jump. The first jump, because of your collecting elastic energy before jumping, should be noticeably higher than your second jump.

If they are nearly the same, it means that you are lacking in reactive strength - so plyometrics are what you ought to focus on.

If your reactive ability is normal/good, then you should focus on force production. This could either mean maximum strength (squat, deadlift) if you have a poor strength to weight ratio, or rate of force production (olympic lift variations, jump squats) if you are strong but produce force slowly.

9. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    Something obvious, but important, you need to use your muscles in unison. Seccondly, i advise using one of those "seated row machines" which mimic the leg movements of rowing machines, but with weights, set on a medium weight and "jump" off rather than just lifting.

10. jwcdis

jwcdis Regular Member

Student
    squats are a good way to increase your jumping height because it works your lower leg muscles when they're bent.

i also seen these people who play basketball continously jump touching the backboard. but you gotta have some height to do that.