kuan beng hong to train under li mao

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by yling, May 23, 2006.

1. yling

yling Regular Member

so, do you all think he can be another lee chong wei? :D

Quoted from the star 2006/05/24

Shuttler told to leave Misbun and train under Li Mao

KUALA LUMPUR: Following his uninspiring performances at the Thomas Cup Finals, men’s singles back-up shuttler Kuan Beng Hong has been removed from the guidance of national coach Misbun Sidek.

The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) coaching and training committee met at the Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara yesterday to conduct a post-mortem on the Finals in Japan, and decided that the 23-year-old Beng Hong be placed under Chinese coach Li Mao.

Beng Hong played at third singles for Malaysia in the semi-finals tie against Denmark but froze when it mattered most. With his defeat to Joachim Persson then, Malaysia lost the tie 2-3.

Besides Beng Hong, it was also decided that two men’s singles players under Rashid Sidek’s Project 2010-12 would be put under the charge of Li Mao.

The names of the two juniors will be decided after a meeting with Li Mao, who is only expected to return from a short break in China on Saturday.

The promotion of the juniors into the national team is expected to add more depth in the men’s singles – especially with the temporary vacancy created by veteran Wong Choong Hann, who needs six months to recover from a snapped tendon rupture suffered during the Finals.

The other players currently training under the Chinese coach are world number two Lee Chong Wei, Yeoh Kay Bin, Lee Tsuen Seng, K. Yogendran and James Chua. Except for Chong Wei, the performances of all the others have stagnated.

The decision yesterday was seen as a big blow to Misbun’s credibility as a coach. He now only has Mohd Hafiz Hashim under his care until this year’s Asian Games in Doha from Dec 1-15.

But Misbun has been given permission to train Hafiz at the Kelana Jaya Hall – as he had done over the last few years.

Misbun has coached Beng Hong and Hafiz since March last year. While Hafiz had won three Open titles last year – Swiss, Thailand and Dutch, Beng Hong has not improved much.

Hafiz, however, also came under fire for his inconsistent performances during the Finals recently. In the semi-finals, he played well to beat Kenneth Jonassen in the first game but ran out of steam in the next two.

BAM president Datuk Nadzmi Mohd Salleh, who is also the chairman of the coaching and training committee, said the decision to leave Misbun with only one player was the best.

“Nusa Mahsuri’s Misbun and Hafiz are part of the AsiaComm programme and, as such, they are still part of BAM’s plan. We have decided that Hafiz should continue training under Misbun until the Asian Games,” said Nadzmi.

“But we have decided to put Beng Hong under Li Mao’s charge. We would like Beng Hong to be exposed to Li Mao’s coaching style.”

When asked whether the decision showed a lack of confidence in Misbun’s coaching style, Nadzmi said: “This is also what Misbun wanted. Sometimes, changes are needed so that we can come out with better outcome. There is room for us to make the changes now and we are doing it.”

“There should be no question of lack of sparring partners for Hafiz although he trains at a separate venue. He trains with Roslin (Hashim). There are also joint sparring sessions with those based at Kiara.

“On top of that, our chief coach (Yap Kim Hock) monitors Misbun’s programme for Hafiz. We also have a conditioning expert for Hafiz.”

On the semi-final defeat at the Thomas Cup Finals, Nadzmi said: “We are happy that Malaysia reached their semi-finals target at the Finals in Japan. We could have gone all the way to the final if not for Choong Hann’s injury.”

“That unfortunate incident put the team off balance. But we agreed that there is still room for improvement. We still need to work on all areas – coaching, training and managing – to help put Malaysian badminton on the right track,” he added.

The players will now turn their attention to the World Championships from Sept 18-24 in Madrid and the Asian Games.

2. lilly_88

lilly_88 Regular Member

I hope he'll shine in the upcoming tournaments and I really hope he'll be as good as Chong Wei!

3. nelsonkong

nelsonkong Regular Member

Quantity Surveyor
    yup, i read this in the newspaper today...XD..erm...i hope he will improve under Li Mao training..

But i think chong wei is just talented. XD

4. riz-nie

riz-nie Regular Member

i also read in the newspaper today.....hope that kbh can improved himself..

5. blue_apple

blue_apple Regular Member

i also read it...finally he is going 2 train under li mao...no more misbun ><

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Perhaps the last chance for him to show his worth. If he is really committed and ambitious, he should do very well and this change will do him a lot of good. I look forward to seeing a new man in him! :D

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I dont think Misbun is a bad coach, but I think he has limited resources and technology to be able to keep up with the high tech of China or Denmark.

I think most coaches from China or Denmark eg.Frost can really

innovate and move with the times as evident in recent Thomas Cup,
    they really knew how to prepare their players physically for the 21 point system.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The other players currently training under the Chinese coach are world number two Lee Chong Wei, Yeoh Kay Bin, Lee Tsuen Seng, K. Yogendran and James Chua. Except for Chong Wei, the performances of all the others have stagnated.

Remember Li Mao also has other young players under his charge. According to the report, they have not shown much improvement as they have stagnated.

So what differentiates Chong Wei from others? Will Beng Hong be able to benefit just like LCW or will he stagnate like others?

9. elwin81

elwin81 Regular Member

KBH.......don't let us down.
    Good luck.

10. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

It's very difficult to predict how KBH is going to fare under Li Mao.Nevertheless it is a right decision to take.Who knows,Limao may develop his potential.Wish him all the best. Hope to see his true capabilities soon.

11. munyoke

munyoke Regular Member

Yeah wish him all the best too... i hope that he will bring us good news soon...

12. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

i really hope hashim n kuan beng hong shines one day... n be another lee chong wei...

13. Josh²

Josh² Regular Member

Student
    I think KBH will do great under Li Mao... I have great confidence in him there. (I hope... *gulp*)

14. Josh²

Josh² Regular Member

Student
    But I can rest assure 98% that Hafiz Hashim will not shine anymore... His time has passed I believe. Sad to say. And just let time tell the prediction.

15. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    i hope James Chua and Kuen beng Hong can make big breakthrough in thier upcoming opens. And it would be nice to see them Kuen Beng Hong beating top players under Li mao's training. As for James chua, i hope he can make a comeback after his injury.

16. siaoching

siaoching Regular Member

KBH fans

I really hope that KBH will show some improvement under the coaching of Li Mao. :)
    Actually, the project had a bit problem. How come a Malaysia team practice separately and only meet once a week????:confused: There's more benefits if they train together, somemore they are team!!!

17. Josh²

Josh² Regular Member

Student
    Yikes!! James Chua? Is he in HELP college?? :eek:
    *gulp* I might meet him in the Malaysian Association of Private Colleges (Mapco) tournament soon. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

18. Josh²

Josh² Regular Member

Student
    well, it's Misbun Sidek's idea which I strongly disagree base on alot alot of reasons!! grrr....

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    With the addition of Kuan Beng Hong under his wing, Li Mao now has six senior men singles to look after, seven, if you include the injured WCH. Is the big number one of the reasons why apart from LCW, the other trainees have not improved as much? How will KBH fit in? Can Li Mao give adequate attention to all his trainees? But surprisingly, even with only two trainees, Misbun was unable to uplift KBH's game to his full potential.

20. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    a very good point Loh. Perhaps more players should be put under Misbun's charge. How can a national coach only coach 1 or 2 player???

Very strange situation