User Tag List

Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahahaha,

Fantastic find.

Sounds like a 'small' advertisement deal. Maybe one day Beryno will do a TV commercial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SOURCE : http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.a...248&sec=sports

Monday January 8, 2007

Four back-up shuttlers get nod for Malaysian Open

PETALING JAYA: Four national back-up singles players will get the chance to prove their worth in the Malaysian Open Badminton Championships.

The four players who will begin their campaign in the qualifying tournament next Tuesday are Lim Kenn, Tan Chun Seang, Beryno Wong and Liew Daren of the Project 2010-12 squad.

And Lim Kenn is determined to make a breakthrough.

“It is great that I have the chance to compete in the qualifying tournament. I am 21-years-old now but it is not considered young in the world of badminton anymore,” said Lim Kenn, who is ranked 131st in the world.

“It is time to step up and prove my worth in the team. I will give my best shot to make it to the main draw.”

The Malaysian back-up shuttlers are lucky to get to compete in the Malaysian Open because of the absence of many foreign players in the top 100 bracket.

Meanwhile, after being delayed due to problems with downloading information last week, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) will release the draw for the Open today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish the four of them all the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems KBH does not think much of his Juniors.

Despite his so called 'rebound' from his poor form of late, I think he should concentrate on his own progress and future performance rather than make such trivial remarks on paper.

SOURCE : http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.a...ports/16502186

Sunday January 7, 2007

Beng Hong has no fear of the juniors

PETALING JAYA: National men's singles shuttler Kuan Beng Hong is in no rush to be among the world's best. In fact, he's not even thinking about being the country's best.

He knows that none of the back-up players are even close to his standard.

National singles coach Li Mao has targeted Beng Hong to qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games but the 24-year-old player is not too worried about missing out. He knows his place in the national team will not be jeopardised.

My coach (Li Mao) has high hopes. But it is a tall order for me, especially now that I am not very confident about my game, said Beng Hong.

But Im working hard in training. Hopefully, I will be able to achieve a breakthrough in one of three tournaments the Malaysian Open (Jan 16-21), Korean Open (Jan 23-28) and the All-England (March 6-11). That would help me enter the Olympic qualifying period with more confidence.

The Olympic qualifying season begins in May.

While Beng Hong is hard-pressed to psyche himself up, the absence of juniors and peers to keep him on his toes is fast becoming another problem.

I will be back to training even if I do not make the cut for the Olympics. I will be concentrating on other tournaments, he said.

It is just unfortunate that there is no pressure from the juniors right now. For the time being, my place in the national team is safe.

Beng Hong, who is ranked 31st in the world, said there was a big gap in standards between the seniors and the second team.

It was different when I was in the back-up team. We trained with the seniors and had match practice every week.

Our back-up players now train on their own. They only get a chance to rub shoulders with the seniors during the local circuit. And last year, we had only two legs of the circuit!

Im not looking down on them but their standard is low now, added Beng Hong.

The back-up singles players under the Project 2010-12 are Chong Wei Feng, Tan Chun Seang, Azrihanif Azahar, Lim Kenn, Mohd Syafiq Jamaluddin, Liew Daren, Chong Li Qun and Beryno Wong.

The seniors train in Bukit Jalil while the back-up players are based at the Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be Cool Jug8man.. personally i believe the Jrs are playing well. KBH is just expression how he feel. But that is definately not what he have in mind. Probably he knows that the juniours still need to improve. And since now the Jrs sections are running out of coaches... i think they may have some problem to fix at the moment. BAM also need to straighten things out in order to bring the jrs into higher level. But i do sincerely hope they will make some impact this coming MO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heh heh. OK ants.

I know i've been flaming abit lately
    Yes, I am also very interested to find out how the chosen 4 will fare in the just around the corner Malaysian Open. Best of luck to them !

TBBMBB(N)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Star of the Future: Tan Chun Seang
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Source: The Star
    Tuesday January 23, 2007

Quick fix not likely to materialise in the men’s singles

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia's lack of depth in the men's singles was evident once again in the just concluded Malaysian Open. And even an immediate plan to solve the problem may hit a snag.

Chief coach Yap Kim Hock said that he was waiting for an approval from the Badminton Association of Malaysia's (BAM) coaching and training committee to promote players from the Project 2010-12 to the national team.

But the Project's chief coach, Rashid Sidek, prefers to continue coaching the players who have come under his charge since March, 2005.

The BAM will now have to find the best solution to bridge the wide gap in standard between the seniors and juniors.

Said Rashid: “I think that it is best for me to continue coaching these players. I know them very well. The only problem now is that there are no regular sessions for the back-up players to train and spar with the top players in the country.

“But, of course, it is for the BAM to make the decision. We will be having our meeting soon to discuss the matter.”

There are a few options for the BAM to consider.

They could bring in Rashid together with some of his best young players into the national team. And together with Chinese coach Li Mao, Rashid can help in the bid to add more depth to the men's singles department.

Misbun Sidek, who had on many occasions stated his passion to groom youngsters, could be the right man to move to the back-up squad. Misbun now has only one player under his charge in the national team – Mohd Hafiz Hashim.

There are now about 10 players from the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS), who have completed their Form Five studies, eagerly waiting to join the back-up squad.

Except for a fighting display by veteran Wong Choong Hann in his second-round match against formidable Chinese youngster Chen Jin, the performances of the men's singles shuttlers were a letdown in the Malaysian Open, which ended on Sunday at the Kuala Lumpur Badminton Stadium.

The best bet, Lee Chong Wei, failed in his bid to win the title for the fourth consecutive time with an uninspiring performance against China's Bao Chunlai in the quarter-finals.

The lack of fire does not augur well for him in his bid to win the World Championships. No Malaysian has emerged as the champion in the series.

Mohd Hafiz Hashim still has a lot of catching up to do after failing in his first attempt this year to end a losing run against a Chinese player while Kuan Beng Hong was certainly out of depth in his defeat by Chunlai.

None of the back-up shuttlers made it to the main draw but Rashid said: “Some of them, among them Lim Kenn and Chong Wei Feng, gave good fighting displays. There was improvement in their game.”

Lim Kenn went down fighting to Choong Hann in the final round of the qualifying tournament. Wei Feng scored an upset win over Indonesian Jeffer Rosobin but was eliminated by Lim Kenn in the second round.

Today, some of the back-up players will get another chance to prove themselves in the qualifying tournament of the Korean Open. Choong Hann will also have to earn a place in the main draw from the qualifying tournament.

For Chong Wei and Hafiz, they have the tasks to make up for their disappointments in the Malaysian Open. Chong Wei opens his campaign tomorrow in the US$300,000 tournament against Thailand's Boonsak Ponsana while Hafiz will be up against Chinese veteran Chen Hong for the second consecutive time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Among the juniors, Lim Kenn looks like a promising player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Notice that most (not all) of the rising players are from Kedah? Lim Kenn, Tan Boon Heong, Kuan Beng Hong, Chong Wei Feng, and Tan Chun Seang-which happens to be my neighbour, lucky chap he is :P

All the best you guys! Of course, by 'guys' i meant the whole youth team, not only the Kedahans la.

Oh, and Gong Xi Fa Cai (less than) a month in advance, people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Current World Ranking (25-Jan-2006):
    Malaysian Junior MS:

Tan Chun Seang: 56
    Beryno Wong: 119
    Liew Daren: 109
    Lim Kenn 121
    Chong Wei Feng: 135
    Chong Li Qun: 163

Our MJ's rankings haven't really changed since 30-Nov-2006.
    Hopefully their rankings will increase after German Open, Austria Open or whatever tournament BAM decides to send them to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mas.sive
    Notice that most (not all) of the rising players are from Kedah? Lim Kenn, Tan Boon Heong, Kuan Beng Hong, Chong Wei Feng, and Tan Chun Seang-which happens to be my neighbour, lucky chap he is :P

All the best you guys! Of course, by 'guys' i meant the whole youth team, not only the Kedahans la.

Oh, and Gong Xi Fa Cai (less than) a month in advance, people.
    Lucky? I wouldn't say luck got him (or other guys in the team) in the position now. His (Their) hardwork did

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by erin_hakkinen
    Lucky? I wouldn't say luck got him (or other guys in the team) in the position now. His (Their) hardwork did
    I think what mas.sive meant is.. what a lucky chap he is, cuz he is mas.sive's neighbour?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yannie
    I think what mas.sive meant is.. what a lucky chap he is, cuz he is mas.sive's neighbour?
    Yup i think that is what mas.sive meant too. Tan Chuan Seng lucky cause he is Mas,sive's neighbour!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BAM has decided to send four Malaysian Juniors MS to German Open and All England.

The four lucky chaps are..

Tan Chun Seang: 56
    Liew Daren: 109
    Beryno Wong: 119
    Lim Kenn 121

Chong Wei Feng: 135
    Chong Li Qun: 163

The four with the highest world rankings.

----------

Beside this, Chong Wei Feng and Chong Li Qun will go to Bahrain Satellite...
    Last edited by yannie; 01-30-2007 at 05:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meiying
    Yup i think that is what mas.sive meant too. Tan Chuan Seng lucky cause he is Mas,sive's neighbour!
    Mei Ying!!! i GRILL you! Lmao.. It's Tan CHUN SEANG, not Chuan Seng for the 10000000000th time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow.. all england..A good chance for them to prove whether are they good or not..

Yannie, dont grill me. Everytime I tend to type Tan Chuan Seng instead of Tan Chun SeAng.

Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast