User Tag List

Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Source: www.thestar.com.my
    Tuesday July 4, 2006

Arif: China will be our big test in mixed team event

KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS)'s shuttler Mohd Arif Abdul Latif has played down his chances despite being the top seed in all three events in the Asian Junior Badminton Championships.
    Today, Arif, who is competing in his second junior meet, will spearhead top seed Malaysia's challenge in the mixed team event at the Kuala Lumpur Badminton Stadium (KLBA) when they take on Pakistan in the first round.
    The 17-year-old Arif is also the top seed in the boys' singles and doubles with Vountus Indra Mawan.
    Arif, who is the younger brother to national doubles shuttler Mohd Zakry, said China would be their main hurdle in the mixed team event.
    The mixed team event is introduced for the first time in the Asian junior meet.
    “The first round should not be a problem for us. We may take on Japan in the quarter-finals but the real test for us will be against China.
    “We are expected to meet them in the semi-finals,” said Arif.
    Last year in Jakarta, Malaysia's boys' team lost to China in the semi-finals.
    In the individual event, Arif is hoping to improve on his performances after losing in the last 16 and quarter-finals in the boy's singles and doubles last year.
    China will be banking on defending champion Lu Qicheng and South Korea will be pining hope on their last year's runner-up Hong Ji-hoon to go one step better in the boys' singles.
    In the boy's doubles, South Korea are the clear favourites through their defending champion Lee Yong-dae-Cho Gun-woo.
    Meanwhile, in the qualifying tournament for the mixed team event yesterday, four teams made the cut. They are Pakistan, Philippines, North Korea and Kazakhstan.

Qualifying tournament
    Mixed team
    Group A: Pakistan bt Cambodia 5-0, Philippines bt Jordan 5-0, Pakistan bt Jordan 5-0, Philippines bt Cambodia 5-0, Philippines bt Pakistan 5-0, Cambodia bt Jordan 3-2.
    Group B: Bhutan bt Mongolia 5-0, North Korea bt Kazakhstan 4-1, North Korea bt Bhutan 5-0, Kazakhstan bt Mongolia 5-0, Kazakhstan bt Bhutan 3-2, North Korea bt Mongolia 5-0.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Source: www.nst.com.my
    Japan, China in Malaysia’s way

04 Jul 2006
    Ajitpal Singh

MALAYSIA’S top junior singles player Mohd Arif Abdul Latif hopes Malaysia will be able to live up to their top billing in the mixed team event of the Asian Junior Badminton Championships at the KLBA Stadium in Cheras today.

The 17-year-old Negri Sembilan-born player said it will not be easy to clinch the title as Malaysia have to beat Japan and China to earn a place in the final.

"I have seen the Japanese shuttlers play in the international junior circuit and they are technically more superior than us, especially in the boys’ singles and doubles," said Arif, who won the Dutch Junior Open in March.

"If we beat Japan tomorrow (today) in the second round, we are likely to play China in the semi-finals."

He said although China are not seeded in the tournament, it does not reflect their true strength.

"Most of the junior Chinese shuttlers are not highly ranked as they play in selected tournaments. Traditionally, Chinese players are very strong and Malaysia have to be careful," he said.

China will have the services of last year’s Asian Junior champion Lu Qicheng in the mixed team.

They will play Singapore in the opening round today.

Mohd Arif, who won a bronze medal in the recent Malaysia Games in Kedah, is the top seed in the boy’s singles and doubles with Sabah-born Indra Vountus Mawan.

However, Mohd Arif, whose elder brother Mohd Zakry is a doubles player in the senior squad, has only set a semi-final target for both events.

"It will be tough to win the singles as countries like China, Japan and South Korea have sent their top players for the event," said Mohd Arif, who started donning national colours when he was 14-years-old.

In last year’s edition in Jakarta, Indonesia, Mohd Arif lost in the third round in the singles and the doubles quarter-finals.

Mohd Arif’s elder sister Nairul Suhaida will also be representing Malaysia in the girls’ doubles in this tournament.

RESULTS (qualifying round) —

Group A : Pakistan 5 Jordan 0; Pakistan 5 Cambodia 0; Philippines 5 Jordan 0; Philippines 5 Cambodia 0; Philippines 5 Pakistan 0; Cambodia 3 Jordan 2;

Group B : North Korea 4 Kazakhstan 1; North Korea 4 Bhutan 1; Kazakhstan 5 Mongolia 0; Bhutan 5 Mongolia 0; Kazakhstan 3 Bhutan 2; North Korea 5 Mongolia 0;

TODAY:

Malaysia v (Pakistan); Vietnam v Japan; Singapore v China; Kazakhstan v North Korea — All matches start at 9am.

Hong Kong v Philippines; India v Indonesia; Taiwan v Sri Lanka; Thailand v North Korea — All matches at noon; 2nd rd matches at 5pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Asian Junior Championship Mixed Team Final.......Malaysia 2 Korea 3

Although the top seeds, Malaysia lost to Korea....the 2 points came from both the boys and girls singles......looks like Korea's doubles are looking good....

Mohd Arif has great potential to be a top player...i just hoped that BAM will groom him well to be a world beater....he has great skills and good deception....

Lydia Cheah had a scare before finally beating the Korean girl in 3 sets.....Mohd Arif also won in 3 sets....looks like both players are slow starters.....actually lydia looked liked she was nervous giving away cheap points.....

Well, i hope both of them will play well in the individual events and win some gold medals for Malaysia.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i seriously hope Arif Latif & Lydia Cheah will win the gold medals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me too! lydia i support u???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah.. i hope they will win too in the individual events....
    hope m'sia doubles will win too.. but koreas are strong .. lee yong-dae..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Source: www.thestar.com.my

Friday July 7, 2006

Buddies Arif and Vountus storm into third round
    KUALA LUMPUR: Close friends Mohd Arif Abdul Latif and Vountus Indra Mawan got off to convincing starts in the boy's singles event in the Asian Junior Badminton Championships at the Kuala Lumpur Badminton Stadium (KLBA) here yesterday.
    Arif and Vountus, who have been roommates at the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) hostel since playing badminton together in 2002, are two of the five Malaysian singles players still left standing in the tournament after the first day of action.
    The 17-year-old Arif defeated Vann Chanpisey of Cambodia 21-7, 21-5 while Vountus knocked out Sri Lankan Hettiarachchi Nuwan T.J 21-10, 21-11 in the second round matches yesterday.
    Both received first round byes.
    THROUGH: Vountus Indra Mawan defeated Sri Lankan Hettiarachchi Nuwan T.J 21-10, 21-11 in the second round match yesterday.
    The other BJSS boys, who also cleared their second round hurdles are Teo Kok Siang, Lok Chong Chieh and Lim Fang Yang.
    The only casualty in the boys' singles was Kuan Kam Chung, who went down fighting to China's Chen Tian Yu 21-19, 10-21, 10-21 in the second round.
    The top seeded Arif said that a good showing in the Asian junior meet would improve their chances of winning a ticket for this year's World Junior Championships.
    “Vountus and I are hoping for a good showing here. It will certainly strengthen our chances to feature in our first ever world junior meet later this year,” said Arif.
    Arif is expected to meet either Tian Yu or Korean Choi Sang-won for a place in the semi-finals.
    For Vountus, it would be even tougher to reach the last eight. He will take on China's Du Pengyu today in the third round.
    Said Vountus: “Hopefully, Arif and I will face each other in the semi-finals. It will be tough for me but I will give my best shot. We have trained hard for this meet.”
    However, If that does not materialise, the duo will still be able to shine In the boy's doubles.
    Yesterday, the duo knocked out South Korea's second top junior pair Lee Jung-whan-Kim Ki-jun 21-18, 21-18 in the second round.
    It was however, a sad day for the duo's siblings.
    Vountus' younger sister Saniru Sannatasah got off to a disappointing start after losing 15-21, 18-21 to South Korean Bang Eun-hye in the second round of the girls' singles.
    In the girls doubles, Arif's elder sister Nairul Suhada and Jeslyn Pang went down 16-21, 15-21 to China's Liao Ging Mei-Wang Siyun in the second round.
    Meanwhile, Lydia Cheah kept Malaysia's flag flying high when she marched into the girls' singles third round after a superb 21-6, 21-3 win over Pakistan's Isa Marukh. Lydia will be joined by Stephanie Shalini, Vivian Hoo and Tee Jing Yi in the third round today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oppourtunity Knocks

If one of Rashid's Squad member play their cards right in the next few tourneys, the last spot in the Asian Games is still in reach.

All that Rashid's charges have to do is outshine the following Senior Squad members :-

1) Kuan Beng Hong (No point sending any jr below this guy, or at least show better 'potential' & 'reliability')
    2) K Yogendran
    3) James Chua (FYI, He's is currently still in the squad)
    4) Lee Tsuen Seng

I think Melaka Open (July 20-23) will be an important & exciting place to determine this. Rashid's 2010-12 squad pitted againts the Seniors in a Free For All Slobber Knocker!!!

To supplement my ramblings, please refer to the below article

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/n...cle/index_html
    News Straits Times
    Badminton/Asian Junior Championships: Three more for Doha
    07 Jul 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    THE BA of Malaysia (BAM) will request the inclusion of three more doubles players in the 2006 Doha Asian Games programme following the improvement showed by the three.

World No 4 Lin Woon Fui-Fairuzizuan Tazari and Gan Teik Chai are the ones BAM is pushing for to enter a programme which already has Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and Zakry Latif.

BAM secretary P. Ganga Rao said the decision is based on the rapid progress shown by the national men’s doubles squad where currently four pairs are ranked in the top 10.

Chong Ming-Kien Keat are ranked World No 3, followed by Woon Fui-Fairuzizuan, Tan Fook-Wan Wah (7th) while Teik Chai and Zakry occupy 10th position.

"This is the first time we have four men’s doubles pairs in the top 10 and this shows they have made progress. Five of them are already in the 2006 Doha programme and we want another three players," said Ganga.

"This will give us more options when the squad is finalised in October.

"As for the men’s singles, we have four players and there will be no changes or additions unless requested by the coaches."

Chong Ming-Kien Keat and Tan Fook-Wan Wah look certain to claim a place in the Games squad while the third spot will be a tussle between Woon Fui-Fairuzizuan and Teik Chai-Zakry.

Woon Fui-Fairuzizuan can strengthen their claim if they perform well in the World Championships in Madrid on Sept 18-24.

The men’s singles players who are in the programme are World No 1 Lee Chong Wei, Hafiz Hashim, Kuan Beng Hong and Wong Choong Hann.

Choong Hann underwent surgery after rupturing his Achilles tendon during the Thomas Cup in May and should he fail to recover in time for the Dec 1-15 Doha Asian Games, BAM must identify a replacement

Choong Hann’s injury during the quarter-final stage against South Korea saw a reshuffle in the Thomas Cup semi-final where all three singles players — Chong Wei, Hafiz and Beng Hong — lost their matches.

Beng Hong is not a reliable team player and there is always the possibility of Choong Hann suffering a recurrence of his injury hence the need for a fifth player in the programme.

The other players who are in the Doha programme are women’s doubles pair Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui and singles player Wong Mew Choo.

================================================== ======

Anything Can Happen in Malaysian Badminton !
    Don't you just love it?!

The Borneon BaddyNut
    Last edited by jug8man; 07-07-2006 at 04:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jug8man
    World No 4 Lin Woon Fui-Fairuzizuan Tazari and Gan Teik Chai are the ones BAM is pushing for to enter a programme which already has Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and Zakry Latif.

Don't you just love it?!

The Borneon BaddyNut
    Err..why is Zakry chosen over Gan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jug8man
    If one of Rashid's Squad member play their cards right in the next few tourneys, the last spot in the Asian Games is still in reach.

All that Rashid's charges have to do is outshine the following Senior Squad members :-

1) Kuan Beng Hong (No point sending any jr below this guy, or at least show better 'potential' & 'reliability')
    2) K Yogendran
    3) James Chua (FYI, He's is currently still in the squad)
    4) Lee Tsuen Seng

I think Melaka Open (July 20-23) will be an important & exciting place to determine this. Rashid's 2010-12 squad pitted againts the Seniors in a Free For All Slobber Knocker!!!

To supplement my ramblings, please refer to the below article

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/n...cle/index_html
    News Straits Times
    Badminton/Asian Junior Championships: Three more for Doha
    07 Jul 2006.

The men’s singles players who are in the programme are World No 1 Lee Chong Wei, Hafiz Hashim, Kuan Beng Hong and Wong Choong Hann.

Choong Hann underwent surgery after rupturing his Achilles tendon during the Thomas Cup in May and should he fail to recover in time for the Dec 1-15 Doha Asian Games, BAM must identify a replacement

Choong Hann’s injury during the quarter-final stage against South Korea saw a reshuffle in the Thomas Cup semi-final where all three singles players — Chong Wei, Hafiz and Beng Hong — lost their matches.

Beng Hong is not a reliable team player and there is always the possibility of Choong Hann suffering a recurrence of his injury hence the need for a fifth player in the programme.

================================================== ======

Don't you just love it?!

The Borneon BaddyNut
    So who do you think can make it? Beryno Wong looks good during last MO Do you think Arif Latif can make it? Or is he too young?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by erin_hakkinen
    So who do you think can make it? Beryno Wong looks good during last MO Do you think Arif Latif can make it? Or is he too young?
    Let's see which boy of squad 2010-12 will step up to face the Men

There's 13 of them to choose from....... Soon maybe less.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the malaysian junior tan wee kiong is so handsome and play badminton very well.now shown in astro supersports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emms626
    the malaysian junior tan wee kiong is so handsome and play badminton very well.now shown in astro supersports
    Did astro supersport show any badminton programme?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hara^kazuko
    It's Badminton Asia Junior Championship 2006 Mixed Team Final.
    Started at 5.30pm i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by erin_hakkinen
    i think beryno can make it.. he did well(i mean among the other juniors) in MO...
    i guess age will not be a factor if arif is really very good..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meiying
    i think beryno can make it.. he did well(i mean among the other juniors) in MO...
    i guess age will not be a factor if arif is really very good..
    jug8man said Arif is not in the 2010-2012 squad..
    we have to wait and see then..haizzz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hara^kazuko
    YES AND The Individual Final is scheduled to be telecast on July 12 at 9.00pm.

Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast