Can Gamma X-2 be used for badminton String?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by woggwogg, May 24, 2006.

1. woggwogg

woggwogg Regular Member

first, thanks all of you for the information.

I just have several questions?

(1)what is the difference between a tennis string machine and badminton string machine?

(2)specifically, can Gamma X-2 be used for badminton string? if so, should I buy some additional accessory for this to work?

Thanks again!

2. woggwogg

woggwogg Regular Member

and if possible, can some recommend a badminton machine for me.

I only have limited budget for up to $150 including shipping, I will string at most two for a month and will never try high tention above the range indicated by the rachquet.

Thanks a lot!

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Check http://www.klipperusa.com/products/productdetail.php?catnum=M140 M140 model, which is modified for badminton string usage. It's a simple and easy to use machine, and I've been using it for 3+ years, and over 400-500 rackets.

I guess the total cost (including shipping to NY) should be around US$170-180 or so. :)

4. woggwogg

woggwogg Regular Member

Hi,

Thans for the information, and I will check it out.:)

5. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

The X-2 can be used for badminton racket stringing and it is more enough for personal use. My friend has one and I taught him how to use it to string badminton rackets but do get 2 more badminton floating clamps which is about 12.00 each. The original clamps are a little bulky to work with but you can use them for initial string clamping. The X2's drop weight post can be move closer toward to the racket frame which can reduce the length of the string require during tensioning process. This feature is not common when compare to other drop weight machine such as the ATS model. The base also has a convenient tool tray built-in to store your stringing tools:D

6. woggwogg

woggwogg Regular Member

thanks again. this is really nice community.

the other question is: where can I buy a pair of badminton clamps? Could you give me some suggestions/websites?

I appreciate the information.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you work with low tensions and with no fixed clamps, I think 2 well made flying clamps(ideal 3 or 4) should be good enough.

Personally, I use Yonex clamps, about $25 each. I got them from www.nycbadminton.com. Actually, most badminton online stores also have it in stock, but you need to consider the additional S&H charges.

There were some reviews about HQ flying clamps, which seems pretty decent in quality as well. You can get from www.mybadmintonstore.com (HK), or www.hiquasports.com. Should be around $20 each.

8. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If working at low tension, this seems ok. My suggestion is still to get at least 1 HQ/Yonex flying clamp and 2 of this to do the job. :rolleyes:

10. aznrice

aznrice Regular Member

gamma x-2

If you are interested in buying the machine you can get it here for $145 with shipping www.holabirdsports.com and buy some hi-qua floating clamps at www.mybadmintonstore.com and the gamma x-2 works for badminton i strung like 100 rackets with it and haven't broken a racket:D

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I suggest you don't go for 2-point machines if possible. Try to use 6-point machines with 4 side supports, if you want high standards and least frame distortion or stress.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I still believe the main factors for a "high standard" job come from the stringer him/herself. 6 point machine does provide more support, but ONLY IF the stringer knows how to mount the racket correctly. Otherwise, the more complicated system can only bring more trouble.

Personally, I am using 2 point machine, and worked over 300-400 rackets roughly. So far, no breakages. Yeah, most of my job are <= 25lbs. ;)

13. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

I agreed, 2 point is more than enough if the string tension is less than 25 lbs. Most badminton player's rackets are strung anywhere from 22 to 24 lbs except the professional players. Beginners usually is a lot less.

If you are on a tight budget, my suggestion is to start with a 2 point (good machine and clamps) machine, master the skill of stringing. Well, if you have money, by all means get the best.:D

14. woggwogg

woggwogg Regular Member

I appreciate all your helpful information

thanks for all the helpful information. I have got my package and came back to report.

I ordered Gamma X-2 from Amazon.com with my 20% off giftcard, and two Gamma badminton float clamp.

I string three racquects so far: Yonex MP 24, 25 and Wilson V8. I gained much expericen from the first one and learn quite a lot tricks. so, I was more experienced for the next two. It works great, and I should say, it is enough for me.

One additional question, when two strings go through one hole, I feel some difficulty. so my question is:

Is there a small tool to help me get the string go through the hole when another string has already occupied the hole? and if so, Where can I buy one?

Again, thanks for all the suggestions, and I will share my feeling about the string machine later on.

15. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

I am glad that you have made a wise choice on X2 machine. It is an excellent machine for the price. As for the share grommet problem, do the pre-string approach or at least do 3/4 of them to minimize the problem. This will minimize you from the stringing pressure and also give you time to inspect weaving jobs before doing the tensioning exercise. Your X2's drop weight can be adjust to move closer to the racket in such way that you will need less string for tensioning. These days, newer racket tends to have smaller grommets and that can be a challenge to fit two strings through, worse if you are using string that is > .70mm in diameter.

Someone mention using dental floss technique but I'm not familar with it...Maybe you can do a search for it or someone can post a reply to help you out.

There are many posts on BF regarding stringing technique and many of them are very useful especially when you gain more stringing experience. Don't be afraid to ask questions - someone will help you out in BF!:D

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    As you will be using this machine for low tension stringing, use the string mover to pull the tensioned main string aside to help ease the cross string through the shared grommet.