Short vs Tall

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by CkcJsm, May 25, 2006.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Short vs Tall advangtes,
    Short people should hit lower to the ground and make the tall people reach for the ball, this will make them more tired.
    Tall people have an easier time smashing, less chance of net, but hard to smash lower ones.
    Short people wont get tired as easily as tall people. they wont reach more.
    Short have to take larger steps.
    if u are short and ur against a tall, try to hit directly at the stomach and at legs, then hit far and highers.
    in my point of u short people have the advangtes.
    Discuss.

2. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

i disagree about shorter people tiring less easily... it all depends on the person. but IMO tall people have advantage since they got better court coverage, and steeper smash, longer reach, and can get to the shot faster.

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Definately advantage to the taller person (in every aspect), unless it is one of those awkward, clumsy sort of tallness.

4. Zhangjia

Zhangjia Regular Member

I'm 5'6, 13 years old.

I find it REALLY REALLY hard to get a good serve on a tall person..especially in doubles..If the person is relatively short, I can flick serve if I want..But if the person is tall, he/she can just reach up and return my flick serve..so, they KNOW im gonna short serve it..so they ready to rush it..which is sometimes hard to block..><

5. franxon

franxon Regular Member

it's relatively harder to serve well and relatively less unlikelly for a bad serve to be punished by a tall receiver. but it's all relative.

tall players in doubles tend to like to position themselves right after the service line, tightly, and stretch out their long arms, with the rackets almost touching the net. scary huh? if you wanna surprise them with a long serve, they kill with one leap.

the Danish doubles pairs are all super tall, i observe the indonesians, when versus the dans, serve it short most of the time. but very very tight. you don't always see an immediate advantage gained by the Dans right after serve. i think that's inspiring.

6. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

I'm 5'4" and a lot older than you! ;)

In doubles (which I play almost exclusively) I have no trouble serving to tall people - short or flicks.

Just keep practising your short serve. Work on keeping it low rather than short and trying to hit the 'T'.

I stand about 15" back from the front service line as this moves the high point of the shuttle's trajectory closer to the net which makes it more difficult to hit the shuttle down.

7. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    I'd had to say the serving advantage goes for tall players.

I'm about 5"9, probably taller (14 years old) and it's not hard for me to return any kinds of serves. Short, long, all I have to do is take a step and reach, and this allows to be ready for the returning shot. I'd have to say that taller people don't need to move around as much, as our long reach and long strides give us an advantage.

I was playing a player that immigrated from Hong Kong last week, and he tried dropping it on me a few times, and was amazed I could return them. He told me I had long arms, and that's why I could return them :D

8. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    When I read this thread's title, my first thought was, "Hey, that's me(short) against almost every opponent of mine!

It's true. Standing *ahem* tall at 5'1", I am shorter than nearly all my opponents, starting from the 13 year olds.

But.. truth be said, I can't see much of an advantage/disadvantage. In the end, it all balls down to your skill. I have played against players 1 head taller and beaten them. At the same time, I was once thrashed by a girl around my height.

Perhaps there is a slight advantage.. for the tall ones. I don't know, never been in their shoes. But short people can also be faster than tall people.. it's all about the training and footwork. I've seen tall people who are slow on court, and short people who run and jump everywhere on court and vice versa.

9. LUKKK

LUKKK Regular Member

Student
    im about 6' 3" and im usually a doubles player. I take the back court for mixed and a lot of the time, backcourt for men's doubles.

Sure my reach is fairly long but i sometimes find myself being lazy, not moving my legs and just stretching out my arms to hit the bird. I see this as the only disadvantage of being "taller". Other than that, not much, the best thing is using height to scare your opponents and faking them out. haha

10. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I'm 1.95 wich is 6'3''?
    The biggest advatage is my hitting nagel form the back. or a midcourt interception of a clear. cross-smahsign it as fats as I can.

If I serve short in my singles people tned to lob a bit lob to my around-the-head. wich gives a neat smash...if i have my day..

shots to the body are a problem though....