Need help on coaching and smashing.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by needhelp, May 26, 2006.

1. needhelp

needhelp New Member

Hey i have a big problem. i tried all the methods i have seen in the videos. I tried to jump as high as possible and whack it down as hard as possible. But 99 percent of the time it just goes super high and the opponent can easily smash it back to me. I have tried the whacking high part and also the hip turning thing.

I train by myself by doing a few backsteps back and then do the smash almost everyday when i am free. does it actually help??

i am also thinking of solo footwork training.. cause i am not in any school team and such. does it help??

and... is slow reflexes really a problem..? I just cant seem to react fast enough when people smash... by the time i try to hit it its already close to the ground.. kinda sick and tired of people saying i dont have any ball sense.

hey i am from singapore. does anyone teach badminton near the tanglin community club or balmoral plaza area?? i would be more than happy to learn badminton.. getting kinda addicted to it.. but sadly.. i suck at it..

2. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Hey needhelp,

Have you already learned to do a grounded smash? This is very important. If you haven't learned to smash yet, you should learn to clear first. It's very important to do things step by step.

If you've already mastered the clear, try doing the smash. It's very similar with the clear except that you should hit the shuttle in front of you and not on top of you; also, change the angle of your shot by moving the wrist further down when you strike the shuttle.

I've learned the jumpsmash "naturally". After doing so many smashes, my legs just moved themselves. I can't fully explain it but I think that's how it's learned.

My coach gives me excercises for badminton. I think some of these are meant for the jumpsmash and leg conditioning.

1. Hopping in a straight line with legs fully bent.

2. Bend legs all the way down, then touch the floor with both hands. Raise right hand up for the first jump then the left hand for the second. Lather, rinse repeat. :D

3. Do the push-up position, then move your legs forward all the way with your hands still touching the ground. Jump as high as you can after. Go back to the former position, then to the push-up position. Repeat.

Also, bend your legs as down but it should still be slightly comfortable. This helps gain more air.

Phew, this is one of longest posts I posted (my standards are pretty low :D)

Hope this helps!
    Keith

3. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

proper grip = pronation which gives you the angle in a smash, the bird should also be in front of you more. build reflexes by getting smashed at over and over or play some video games.

4. needhelp

needhelp New Member

... okay... thanks alot now i realise what my greatest mistake is. i try to do smash on every high ball i see. but isnt the move the same thing? isnt smash and hitting a high ball the same thing??

so if lets say i get a high ball how should i reply??

still looking for more responses to my original post on looking for a coach and training. thanks

5. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Nope, it isn't. You usually do a clear not in front of you, but on top of you.

It really depends no universal rule on how to reply. It depends on your situation. If the guy's at the baseline, better do a drop. If he's in the middle (and you're in the middle), you can do a smash. If his stamina's low, tire him out. The possibilities are almost limitless. :)