making my grip bigger

Discussion in 'Grip' started by jerby, May 26, 2006.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

hi there,

I have a problem. my woven7 grip is too small. and ordering a new one is not an option at the moment.
    I play with a towelgrip. I removed the original and placed it on (regulargrip+towel=round) . but it was way to small. I couldn't find my grip on my drive and sometimes the racket just rotated without me wanting it...

I solved the problem with an overgrip. I ahd no choice. the original grip was thrown away so an 102EX yy grip had to do. I adjusted to it. but it's still to round.

a pictures worth 1k words :)p) so here's teh deal:
    1) is too small, towelgrip on wood.
    2) is current: overgrip, thin clear packaging tape and towel. but is to round at the sides (as shown)
    3) is desirable..

[​IMG]

now: how do I get 3? the thickness of tehovergrip+towle si good...but the roundness is a b****
    I saw some grip enlarger's..but all for tennis...do they keep the diamondshape? or become round? can such a thing be removed if it's not good? did anybody ever try it?
    Any comments/solution?

#1 jerby, May 26, 2006
    Last edited: May 26, 2006
  2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi Jerby,

Go to your local sporting goods store. Buy a tennis replacement grip. It cost about $4~$8 USD depend on brand (I tried cheapest Head replacement grip and it works good). When you wrap the replacement grip, make sure it is lapesed about 1/2 of the grip to get the thickest result. Good luck and have a nice weekend.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

"Rounder" handle and change of balance point..

jerby, i've encountered the same thing before..yes, it's true that if you try to add an additional layer of *new* towel-grip over a layer of tape/over-grip, the handle will become a bit "rounder". That's normal, but no worry; the longer you use it and the more sweat you put on it, the more flatter it'll become...So, try it out for a while and in no time, you will somewhat get the octagonal handle shape back..:rolleyes: :)

One more thing to tell you, as you add more layer of grips to the handle(tape/overgrip/towel-grip), your racket's balance point will change. It'll shift more to the head(as your handle will become heavier) and most likely it won't be as "head-heavy", rather the other way...This is another topic off by itself..just a thought..:rolleyes: :)

#3 ctjcad, May 26, 2006
    Last edited: May 26, 2006
  4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

will that not make it just as round as it is now? it currently isn't too small, the size is just right..it's just too round.

ctjcad,
    In all honesty, I played with this round grip for 2 months. then i had to switch to my ns8k, because of a stringpop (4 weeks of bg68ti) and then the octangle edges just felt great...
    the bp-change is already countered,no worries.

5. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

try wood + overgrip + towel grip in this fashion...

when you apply the overgrip onto the wood, do not overlap.
    twist it in a manner so that the edges go flush with each other, but do not overlap at all. its okay if you have slivers of wood showing here and there, that'll be fine.

you don't even have to remove the film that protects the surface of the overgrip if you don't want to, i guess.

then try applying the towel grip overtop of the overgrip film.

next time you can apply a layer of clear packaging tape overtop of the overgrip when the film peels off along with the towel grip.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

jerby,
    hmm, i don't know what else to suggest...the one that chickenpoodle mentioned sounds like it's similar to what you did also...i've even seen people put on 2 additional layers of tape/overgrip on top of the original tape and then finishing it off with a towel grip-:eek: hehe, that must be quite thick..
    2 months sounds abt right, that is if you play more than 10 hrs./week..:rolleyes:

regarding the bp, what i meant to say in my earlier post was, if you put all those additional items, it'll shift to near the handle instead of the head...oh, another interesting thing is that, if you remember the thread abt adding knob at the end of handles and seeing those pics of the pro players, those actually add additional "weights"..:rolleyes:

7. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    i recomend not, putting too much grip on will change the b/p and i have learnt that if the racket is not at its optimal b/p then the racket will not be as good as it is meant to be.

8. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

but we have to remember its the static balance that we're affecting.
    yes it feels like a big difference when we're holding it static, but when we start swinging it, the difference own't be much since the entire thing being swung through the air is the racquet and our arm. alot of the weight we speak of here is in our hands, right in the middle. so it doens't make much of a difference.

i think jerby overlapped like usual when he applied the overgrip.

with G4, i just use one layer of overgrip whiel overlapping. essentially making 2 layers of grip.
    but with G5, i have to use one extra layer of overgrip, with zero overlap before applying a normal layer of overgrip, essentially being 3 layers.

jerby will want just one layer, so zero overlap is required.

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

yes it's really a hard issue...

Chickenpoodle is right. i did overlap my overgrip when applied. but the thickness is good now. so not overlaping a 0.6mm overgrip will be thinner. so I guess I'll try out Silentheart's option.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If you really want the bevels, then you only have two options:

• Use a "grip enlarger" -- some kind of plastic sleeve that is heat-shrunk onto the racket handle. I believe they are lightweight and effective, but you will have to look hard to find a place that will do it. You can remove these afterwards, I believe.
    • Buy a racket with a bigger grip (also not easy).
    Any overgrip or replacement grip will make the handle more round, and the more layers you use the more pronounced this will become. It's never bothered me, but if you want bevels you should limit yourself to a single layer of overgrip.

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

thank you Gollum. I'm looking into those grip enlarger's.
    and I'm going to a tennis-specialty shop nearby and ask for a 'thick'(~1mm) replacementgrip that is not cushiony...I think it's worth $5 to try...

thank's for your help everybody!