ambidextrous

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jxc241, Mar 24, 2003.

1. jxc241

jxc241 Regular Member

Teacher - coach
    using two rackets

This is possibly a stupid question but I have a student who can hit the bird with both hands. She will switch to her left hand to hit the bird on her forhand so that she doesn't have to use her backhand. Is it legal for her to use two rackets at the same time during competition?

And would you suggest I tell her to keep using one hand or two keep letting her use both hands. She is pretty strong with both hands.

2. Grufey

Grufey Regular Member

Student
    It is normally better to use one hand, so you don't lose the reaction time. I have a friend who does that too, but i just smash to his left hand side, and he can't switch the racket fast enough to block the shots. Now he's starting to use only one hand to play.

3. sharkboy

sharkboy Regular Member

student
    I really dont think that you can use two racquets in a game, and I stress really, even though I can't find anything that contradicts this.

but you probably can't,

I don't think switching hands is that good of an idea, maybe you should help her practice her backhand:)

just a thought

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Re: using two rackets

It is quite legal to use two racquets in a match. Only thing is how would you be able to serve?

If she is able to switch back and forth fast enough to return quality shots, then maybe she should keep using both hands but if not, then she would be better off to stay with one.

5. sharkboy

sharkboy Regular Member

student
    are there anyone who actually uses two racquets? I would really like to know

you could serve by putting the bird on one racquet and flicking it in the air and hit it with your other racquet!;)

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

and that would be your serve, next time you hit it would be a fault (double hit)

7. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

you could always hold the shaft in your mouth, and pickup it up after the serve! A little weird yes but if it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid. :D

8. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Well.....I've tried playing with 2 racquets before... the serving is no problem. if you're right-hander, hold the shuttle in your left hand WHILE holding the other racquet too.

Dunno how to explain!! :D :D

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I knew some ppl seldom switch hand during matches. However, the "freqency" is very rare.

By switching hand, it did surprise ur opponent, and for certain situation (when reaction time is long enough), swtich hand might give u longer reach as well as better return angles.

Most of time, I won't recommend ppl switching hand. By switching hand, the relative reaction time is much longer than 1 hand. Therefore, especially in a fast paced game, frequent switching hand will give opponent more chances to find ur "short comings". Also, if switching hand in a hurry, u might not grip the racket in the proper spot, which result into weak return or poor angle.

10. jxc241

jxc241 Regular Member

Teacher - coach
    using two rackets

Thanks for the help, but no one answered my question. IS IT LEGAL TO USE TWO RACKETS in competition? And can anyone tell me where to find it in the rule books so that I can have it incase I run into problems.

#10 jxc241, Mar 25, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2003
  11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

WWC already answered ur question in his post by stating "Legal".

If u want to know the rules, u can go to: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/laws/laws.shtml

12. jxc241

jxc241 Regular Member

Teacher - coach
    Okay I did notice that he said it was legal but I have yet to find it in the rule book where it says a player can use two rackets simultaneoulsy. I need to have proof of the rule incase they call me on it in our city championships. So can anyone help me here?

13. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I've never heard of that problem, probably because it's a practical disadvantage to hold a racquet in each hand. The non-racquet arm and hand serve better as a counter-balance if they can act freely and naturally.

If it were legal AND an advantage, you can bet all the top players would be doing it. My advice is to tell your student to use one racquet at a time in whatever hand she wants.

14. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    There is no rule stating specifically that you cannot play with two racquets simultanously will each hand, but if one was to be picky about it, there is no possible way she could serve legally since (it is assumed she will pop the shuttle up with the opposite racquet) the opposing racquet could be considered to violate the 'single continuous stroke service rule".

In all honesty, I think the laws of badminton had never considered anyone doing something so utterly stupid, except as a sideshow act! And as a coach, really what are you even thinking?

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good point there Badrad.

It's a very novel idea.

Honestly speaking, it isn't a good idea. Here's why:

Assume it takes 4 hours to learn a new shot, then you have to consider the forehand and backhand equivalent. That makes 8 hours.

Then you have to perfect the shot making process. OK that can be any number of hours. For example, assume 20 hours.

So the total time would be 48 hours.

Let's try left hand and right hand.....that would mean 2x48hours = 96 hours!!

Basically, you would need to put double the work in to get the same quality and consistency of shot making.
    We haven't even gone into the footwork routines....:eek:

There's only one person I've seen with ambidextrous ability who plays successfully and that occurs in tennis (might be one other guy, not sure). I think he's french and has the name 'Vittoro' or something like that. In badminton, the game is just too fast, counterbalance might be a problem, and footwork will be terribly confusing. In doubles, it might be outright dangerous with the counterbalancing arm (with racquet) possibly flailing around.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well said. :)

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree on the "counter balance".

When we swing the racket, the empty hand always have a certain tendency to be swinged or moved as well. For example, when I do a overhead smash, my empty hand often moves up to my chest. It's could be just a habit, but I believe more it's the way to keep my motion smooth as well as kept in certain balance. Well, if have have another racket in that hand, I guess I will smash my own face each time I do it. :D

Another thing is, when I do drills with my friends, when I have a handful of shuttles in the non-racket hand, I often felt a little bit un-comfortable due to I can't feel freely to move/place my non-racket hand. So, several little birds already feels like this, what about a big racket?

18. Californian

Well Coach jxc, there doesn't appear to be anything in the IBF rules that specifically prohibit using two racquets simultaneously (I believe it is possible to serve according to the rules even with the extra racquet if it is done a certain way). Your tournament may be governed by some other rules that apply to this in some way, however. In any case, it's bound to be controversial. If your player or team wins, there may be a protest filed. Is it worth it?

19. Californian

A badminton sideshow act--that is funny! Actually, it would be entertaining to see someone do this well. And after all, basketball has the Harlem Globetrotters, and many other sports have trick-shot artists that give exhibitions--why not badminton?

What else could go into the show? A person who juggles six racquets at once? A man who catches smashes in his teeth?:D

20. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

i know!

PLAy with her drop net!!!! hahahaha~~