Badminton in Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia

Discussion in 'Malaysia' started by bchaiyow, May 29, 2006.

1. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

Hi,

I know this may be a desperate plee, but I am going to be in Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia between June 26,2006 and July 7, 2006. I will going from Ottawa, Canada. So I was wondering if any BC'ers are from there and are willing to invite me to play with you. I have not played in that city since the late 1980's :crying: I am available anytime of the time except for May 28.

I just can't playing :p plus I want to know what are the new places there that are available now. I have played at quite a few venues there...but who knows, after so many years...I'm sure there are alot of new ones...

Thanks in advance.

bchaiyow

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Sandakan, used to be once known as "Little Hong Kong", is now not as safe. You wouldn't want to go out alone at night.
    Besides badminton-hopefully someone will help you out on this-you shouldn't miss seeing the majestic Orang Utans and the long nose Proboscis monkeys, all in their natural environment.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Sorry don't know much about Sandakan. Don't even know that its is not a safe place to go. Any major things happening there since its not so safe?

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    As long as you are sensible and do not take careless risks you should be ok. If you should visit Sandakan, the safest way is to fly from KK. Driving from KK to Sandakan requires a strong 4-wheeler that can go over deep and large potholes; and the journey is just too long.
    It would be best if you have friends in Sandakan.
    Sandakan is, in my opinion, a must 'visit place', specifically to see the Orang Utans and the long nose Proboscius monkeys, the latter, besides having an unusually long nose, looks like they are wearing jeans. There are also sea turtles in their habitat.

5. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

Hi Taneepak,

Sorry but I forgot to mention something, I used to live in Sandakan, but just all my friends have either gone to KL or other countries, or they don't play badminton. So that is why I was just wondering if there are any BC'ers who would be kind enough to invite me to play.

Although, I would want to go and see the long nose Proboscius monkeys...havent seen them yet, actually, I didnt even know they have them there...

And I agree with drving from KK to Sandakan, it's a pretty crazy drive, and we almost went over a cliff (twice!) on the same trip at the same place!!! Glad I'm still alive. And yeah, it's just not safe to be walking around downtown anymore espeically not at nite, I never do that, maybe daytime. I rarely go downtown anymore, I usually goto one of the "uptowns" now.

SO no BC'ers from Sandakan??? :crying:

bchaiyow

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Some info here is abit outdated.

Yes, central Sandakan City (old city area) is not the safest or nicest place to visit anymore. But other parts of Sandakan are developing into nice comfy places to be. Places like Mile 6 i hear.

Driving from KK to Sandakan is no longer as adventurous as before. Any compact car should be able to survive the 8 hour drive on the now 'proper' roads & facilities built thanks to development by our government.

To view the State's best running badminton development project / effort, drop me a PM & we will show how we do Badminton in Sabah (KK Area).

Cheers!

The Borneon BaddyNut.

7. Phydhel

Phydhel Regular Member

oh man! I may be going to UMS (universiti Malaysia Sabah) to further my studies, I would really want to join the badminton community there, a club or something and train with fellow badminton Sabahans!:)

8. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

Hi BaddyNut,

I will be flying directly from KL to Sandakan now that they have that direct flight...usually I have to go thru KK, but not this time :crying: I really wish I could stay at least a few hours and just visit the badminton centers...I am currently coaching at a badminton academy here locally in Ottawa, however, I am only coaching kids between 6-12. hmmm, do they still that Gaya Street bazaar every Sunday there? Maybe I can drop by for a day trip. :D

Yeah, Mile 6 is really nice now. Im sure there's more there now, last time I was there was 3 yrs ago. Well, if I do drop by KK, I certainly will PM you...thanks for offer...

bchaiyow

9. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Hey,

Yeah! Gaya Street Bazaar is still running strong every Sunday. The city has changed abit (For the better of course) & it's not quite just superficial. I think you might find Gaya Street a little more pedestrian friendly as well.

Some constructions are still going on (like some fly overs) so its a bit messy at some roads.

Would be great if you could make it.

cheers

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Sure. PM me your info & other stuff like where you will be staying & mode of transport... there's a few centres & will have to see which best suites your needs.

Cheers

The Borneon BaddyNut

11. charls

charls Regular Member

Engineer
    Yoo jug8man,.. ur from kk too? which place you play ? it nice to hear Bc from kk.

12. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    sandakan

I am from sandakan, althought i have been in KL for 10yrs for study and works. There is no such things as not safe at night anymore,, is just like any where in the world. NOT SAFE depends on where u go

13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

charls, check your pm.

Cheers

14. charls

charls Regular Member

Engineer
    :D pm checked..

15. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

Sandakan,Sabah, M'sia.. currently in Auckland, New
    hey erm... i just found out this topic here ..haha.. erm ..i hope bchaiyow u're still in sdk ..im from sandakan too.. currently studying in auckland(arrived here on feb 2006) and im playing for a private club her under north harbour association which is called Indonesia Badminton Club of New Zealand (IBNZ)..well guys..there 13 diff nationalities in this club..which are malaysia,indonesia,denmark,canada,laos,philipines,singapore,UK,new zealand,china,hong kong,india,and pakistan.THis club is sponsered my Garuda Airlines. At the same time im also playing for a social club here which is Massey university Badminton Club.How long will u be in sdk or u're not in sdk oredi ?

16. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

Hi,

thanks for the reply...but hehe, I am back in Canada already since July of this year. Howver, I did get to play badminton twice with my sister's collegues. My sis ter still lives in Sandakan. We played at Chi Hwa school and Dewan Masyarakat. I prefer Dewan better as it is a bit cooler being next to the ocean. But still hot :)

nice to hear from someone from Sandakan. Wow, sounds like you play a lot in NZ. hmmm...been to uckland..but dont remember much...:)

bchaiyoe

17. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

haha well .. i only play for 2 clubs here.. both the clubs are under North Harbour Badminton Association. I went for a trial last week and it went well. According to the Harbour Badminton manager and the other who were in charge of the trial, they r considering to put me under Auckland reserve team(as im not a resident here). Well, even if i could make it to the reserve team, i might will reject it because i might will leave nz nxt year. sigh..~ it's not on the right time.

Anyway, u should hav play badminton in the Taman Tyng Hakka hall. The courts there are good and new. Obviously it's better than the dewan's court because it's bigger there and u cna play extra time if the nxt customer hasnt arrive. ! thing good abt the dewan is because it's air condirioned? not sure .. never play there b4.

dim.

18. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

Oh, so you're coming back next year already? Taman Tyng Hakka hall, didnt even know there was a hall there....but that Taman has changed so much..had the Sarawak Laksa noodle there one morning...Dewan..there's ari-con, but they dont turn it on. I'll remember that, I'll try and play at the Hakka hall next time...whenever that is :) I dont go back as often anymore. That's why it shocks me everytime I go back...different everytime.

Good luck to you on your quest to become a reserve...stick with it anyway eventho you're leaving next year..it's good experience.

bchaiyow

19. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

well... i'll be going back for summer holidays for abt 2 months ..? and i probably will be going back to nz to conitnue my course.. which means i probably will still be with IBNZ.

anyway... mayb after several years when u go back to sdk, u might probably will see the harbour square. haha.. but it will take a very long time to complete tht big project. oh ya.. for ur info, sdk is the town tht has most traffic lights in a short distance raod in m'sia .. haha.. well.. u knw how "BIG" is sdk ..~

dim.

20. Ti5BG

Ti5BG New Member

When will you be coming back to Sandakan again? Maybe we can play together.