User Tag List

Page 18 of 83 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Saina Nehwal

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy It would take awhile for WMC before she can make a stronger comeback

Quote Originally Posted by Zabee View Post

not semis ?? anyhow this is great game....Wong M C needs to boost up in this one..

Sad that WMC was out of action because of her injuries in the last 6 months or so. It would take her awhile before she can make a stronger comeback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my view, while Wang Lin just moved by the basics, Saina did it by thinking.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Saina Nehwal told the media in India that she "is more popular in Indonesia and Malaysia (than in her home country)".

She also said the Malaysian cab driver refused to accept payment after ferrying her to the airport.

Now, that's indeed a very nice gesture!

The Times of India of 29 June 2009 has excerpts from her interview.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fans of Saina Nehwal, I have uploaded her performance in the 2009 Indonesian Open Final for download.

You can refer to this thread ---> http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru....php?p=1200677

The video also includes the Prize Presentation Ceremony.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by modious View Post
    Fans of Saina Nehwal, I have uploaded her performance in the 2009 Indonesian Open Final for download.

You can refer to this thread ---> http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru....php?p=1200677

The video also includes the Prize Presentation Ceremony.
    great thanks! now i can learn from her footwork...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sealman View Post
    great thanks! now i can learn from her footwork...
    You are welcome.

Alternatively, you can watch it online.
    I've uploaded it to VEOH. ----> http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/ca...686999fY57Ppjk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Saina to be felicitated

The Hindu
    10 July 2009

MUMBAI: Badminton 45, an organisation devoted to taking badminton to the people, will present Saina Nehwal a cheque of Rs 2.5 lakh as part of a felicitation function for the Indian badminton star on Saturday. The honour is in recognition of her outstanding show at the Indonesian Open Super Series and subsequent rise to No.6 in the world women’s rankings.

Ms. Rajashree Birla will hand over the cheque at the Bombay Gymkhana.

Saina joins a galaxy of badminton achievers honoured by Badminton 45 in the past, among whom are Nandu Natekar, Prakash Padukone, P. Gopi Chand, Devinder Mohan, Prakash Nath, Dinesh Khanna, Meena Shah, Ami Shah and Rajeev Bagga.

The organisation supports junior talent by helping them get international exposure, apart from holding veterans events like the G.D. Birla Memorial veterans tournament since 1992 and National veterans tournament in association with Bombay Gymkhana.

Other players who have been honoured as promising juniors in the past by the organisation include Anand Pawar, Arup Vaidya, Divya Ramesh, Chetan Anand, Aparna Popat, Nikhil Kanetkar, Jwala Gutta, Amar Mohite, Ajit Pathak, Trupti Murgunde, Ajay Jayaram, Aditi Mutatkar, and Sachin Ratti.

(Just wonder how much is Rs 2.5 lakh in US Dollars.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    [...](Just wonder how much is Rs 2.5 lakh in US Dollars.)
    About USD 5,000.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interview with saina nehwal
    part 1 of 11 parts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHuZ6...eature=related

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Saina downs with Chicken Pox

Saina Nehwal downs with Chicken Pox. Only few days before the world meet start.

Get well soon, girl

India star down with chicken pox ahead of Worlds (AFP) – 18 hours ago
    NEW DELHI — World number six Saina Nehwal of India said on Thursday she could still play in next month's badminton world championships despite falling ill with chicken pox.
    Nehwal, 19, told media in India she had been advised to take a week's rest after being diagnosed with chicken pox following a bout of fever last Saturday.
    "I decided to see a doctor after pockmarks appeared on my body and he confirmed it was chicken pox," she said.
    "I am very disappointed as the world championship is just around the corner. I will visit the doctor after a few days and see how things go.
    "I should be okay in time for the tournament, but I have lost valuable practice time because I had been training really well for the last one month."
    The world championships open in the southern Indian town of Hyderabad on August 10.
    Nehwal hit the headlines last month when she won the Indonesian Open in Jakarta, the first Indian to bag a Super Series badminton title.
    Former All-England champion Pullela Gopichand, who coaches Nehwal, said the teenager's participation in the tournament was still uncertain.
    "These things happen in life, its sheer bad luck," said Gopichand. "The doctor said she just needs to take rest and that is what she is doing. We can only wait and see how she shapes up."
    Copyright © 2009 AFP. All rights reserved.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ningtyas View Post
    Saina Nehwal downs with Chicken Pox. Only few days before the world meet start.

Get well soon, girl

India star down with chicken pox ahead of Worlds (AFP) – 18 hours ago
    NEW DELHI — World number six Saina Nehwal of India said on Thursday she could still play in next month's badminton world championships despite falling ill with chicken pox.
    Nehwal, 19, told media in India she had been advised to take a week's rest after being diagnosed with chicken pox following a bout of fever last Saturday.
    "I decided to see a doctor after pockmarks appeared on my body and he confirmed it was chicken pox," she said.
    "I am very disappointed as the world championship is just around the corner. I will visit the doctor after a few days and see how things go.
    "I should be okay in time for the tournament, but I have lost valuable practice time because I had been training really well for the last one month."
    The world championships open in the southern Indian town of Hyderabad on August 10.
    Nehwal hit the headlines last month when she won the Indonesian Open in Jakarta, the first Indian to bag a Super Series badminton title.
    Former All-England champion Pullela Gopichand, who coaches Nehwal, said the teenager's participation in the tournament was still uncertain.
    "These things happen in life, its sheer bad luck," said Gopichand. "The doctor said she just needs to take rest and that is what she is doing. We can only wait and see how she shapes up."
    Copyright © 2009 AFP. All rights reserved.
    Hopefully she will be in the clear by the start of the championships.

Chickenpox is highly infectious and contagious, especially in a closed and crowded environment.

Although she will be past the 'infectious' stage when the WC opens, she might still be in the 'contagious' phase.

Chicken pox thrives on direct contact (like a handshake).
    Umpires and fans (and opponents), beware

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't worry chicken pox only happen once in our life

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chicken pox should not hamper my participation in Worlds: Saina

in MSN
    Friday, 31 July 2009

New Delhi: World No.6 Saina Nehwal is down with chicken pox, but she is confident of getting fit in time for the World Badminton Championships in Hyderabad from August 10.

Saina said she has been advised rest for four days after which she will be able to take a call on when to start training.

"I saw the doctor yesterday and they said it was chicken pox. I have been advised rest for four days, so there will be a break in my training, which was going well. But hopefully I will recover in time for the tournament," Saina told IANS on Thursday over phone from Hyderabad.

"I was running temperature for last 3-4 days, but today (Thursday) I do not have fever."

"My training will suffer a bit, but I hope I will still get some sessions to hit before the tournament," she said.

Saina's coach Pullela Gopichand, too, is hopeful that she would be fine for the elite event.

"She was not feeling well since Saturday. She is under treatment for the last four days. There is still some time left for the tournament and we are hoping that she will recover," Gopichand said.

"It is not an ideal situation, but you can't do much about these things. She is taking all precautions and hopefully she will be fit for the worlds."

Saina is India's biggest hope in the elite event. She had been riding high on form and won her maiden Super Series event in Indonesia last month.

The 19-year-old, who has got a bye in the first round, is banking on her home advantage to put up a strong performance.

Source: IANS
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Now that is just sheer bad luck. It's being too moptimistic to think she could put up a good showing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lady with the birdie

Deccan Herald
    Saturday 1 August 2009

Saina: smash hit of the season

After a dream run on the international front, Saina Nehwal is aiming the peak. India’s ace badminton player has her goals set and is raring to be on top of world. Ronita Torcato traces the young champ’s journey so far.

She is the World’s No. 6 and India’s current badminton queen and she earned the sobriquet the hard way. And now, with her self-confidence on a high, after bagging the Indonesian Open Super Series title at the Istora Senayan Stadium in Jakarta recently, there’s no stopping the young girl. Saina Nehwal is dreaming big; she’s dreaming of being “number one in the world”. And why not! There can be no looking back now.

On a rainy July evening, a little-known group called Badminton 45, which is dedicated to the promotion of the sport, got Rajashree Birla to present the Hyderabad-based 19-year-old a cheque of Rs 2.5 lakh at a crowded function hosted by the Bombay Gymkhana, a club formed in 1875 exclusively for Europeans, and remaining that way well into the 20th century — even Ranji was refused admission.

Felicitation and prizes for all-time badminton greats as well as rising stars are part of Badminton 45’s agenda. The members include ex-internationals Aparna Popat, Ami Shah, Leroy DSa, Pradeep Gandhe, the great Nandu Natekar, Prakash Padukone and Pullela Gopichand, India’s current coach of whom Saina says: “He is the best training partner I can get.”

Badminton 45 was formed when a few badminton players who quit competitive play wished to continue their association with their favourite sport. During the Sub Junior Nationals in Mumbai some years ago, Badminton 45 was impressed by a young girl who had advanced to four finals and won all four. It chose to honour the girl and named her the ‘Outstanding Player of the Year’. The girl was Saina Nehwal.

After winning the Philippines Open Grand Prix title in 2006 to announce her arrival on the world stage, Saina followed that victory by snatching the 2008 World Junior Championships in Pune.

On a roll

All in all, it’s been a dramatic journey of breathtaking feats: being adjudged the world’s most promising junior by the international body and becoming the first Indian to win a Super Series title on June 21, 2009 by shocking China’s brightest new star, world No. 3 Wang Lin 12-21, 21-18, 21-9. The victory, which was sweet revenge after losing to Lin in the Singapore Open just a few days earlier, marked the finest moment for Indian badminton since Gopichand won the All England title in 2001.

Saina now acknowledges that “the anxiety to win led to mistakes” and her defeat in the Beijing Olympics singles.

Saina’s maiden Super Series triumph in the Indonesian Open was a defining moment in many ways. She stunned two top Chinese players — former world No. 2 and seventh seed Lu Lan and 2007 junior world champion Wang Lin in the semi-finals and final, respectively while breaking her jinx against the girls from the Orient. The win now pits her as the one big threat to Chinese monopoly, a status enjoyed by Prakash Padukone throughout his career.

After her return from the Malaysian Open Grand Prix Gold where she lost to Chinese qualifier Xin Wang in the quarter-finals, Saina said she wished to be “among the top five by the end of this year.”

Her immediate target is the World Championship in Hyderabad in August, followed by tournaments in Chinese Taipei and Macau. And then of course, her dream to be world No. 1. “That will be difficult, but not impossible,” says Saina.

World No. 1 Zhou Mi (a former Chinese international now playing for Hong Kong), world No. 2 Tine Rasmussen of Denmark, world No. 6 Hongyan Pi (a Chinese-born French player) and Wong Mew Choo of Malaysia are the only players who have breached the ‘Great Wall of China’.

Rasmussen is in her late 20s, while Zhou Mi, Wang Chen of Hong Kong and Hongyan are on the wrong side of 30 and Choo has had recurring knee problems. In sum, then, Saina could be the lead player in taking on China, in the next decade.

Coach’s take

Pullela Gopichand says the Indonesian Open triumph will help Saina believe that she can now win big tournaments. “It will help her perform better in the World Championship. No matter what she achieves after this, she’ll be viewed differently — as a genuine top player from now on. Her mental toughness comes from a strong desire to win. She has it in her to be the best in the world. She should be more consistent and keep winning big tournaments. It is important now to have patience and give her time so that she can come up with some more stunning performances.”
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hope Saina will be able to play in wc....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Harvir Singh View Post
    Harvir
    Sir, How is she now? I think still there may be some physical weakness due to Chicken-Pox. Are the doctors giving any suggestions regarding participation in coming international tournament? We want our Badminton IKON to be fit and healthy at first instead of the trophy... Plz. tell her that me, one of her fans and elder brothers, is praying for her good health in this festival of Rakhsha-Bandhan.
    Saina, Get Well Soon!

Page 18 of 83 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 68 ... LastLast