User Tag List

Page 29 of 83 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 79 ... LastLast

Thread: Saina Nehwal

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Avataar, you are quite right. Most of the Indian shuttlers are fundamentally laissez-faire, and believe that pushing themsleves completely out of their comfort zone is not really worth it in life. The sub-continental physique, lifestyle, culture and default diet all do not lend themselves well to excelling at a game like badminton, where agility, speed, strength and explosive power need to be allied to skill, deception, grace and lightness of foot. So they need to overcome many fundamental obstacles, i.e., work harder and put themselves totally out fo their comfort zone with single minded determination. Just like Saina has done. But how many are willing to do that? Nowadays we see even the younger players from powerhouses like Malyasia and Indonesia with the same easy-going attitude. Its really a shame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[
    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Nowadays we see even the younger players from powerhouses like Malyasia and Indonesia with the same easy-going attitude. Its really a shame.
    I think there's also a subtle change in culture and mentality in the younger generations these days which contribute to their mediocrity. Hard work and persistency are no longer considered as absolute virtue in modern day life. Those virtues have often been distorted and labelled as 'uncooled' by those people who are used to very comfortable life(majority of the folks who were raised in big cities). Rather people who took something seriously and work hard to excel in a field are often thought as 'freaks'. Popular derogatory words like 'nerds' and 'geeks' are byproducts of such culture. And yes, you get penalized for not being 'ordinary' enough, which is why you see more and more youngters are engaging in idiotic acts(excessive drinking and loitering in clubs doing absolutely nothing) out of peer pressure.

The ease of gettting into higher education (compared to few decades ago) doesn't help either. After all who want to train hard and get your muscle sore everyday? You can do so much better by just enterting a local university, party almost everynight and still get out of the university with a degree. And with that degree, you generally won't have much trouble getting a job for living(provided you are not too ambitous).

Why so serious?-- a catch phase from the film 'the dark knight' perfectly illustrate such scenario in modern day life. This is all due to the diminishing return in profit in climbing up the ladder. The same thing is happening in academic, when you earn lesser, say than an undergraduate, when you really have a higher qualification(PhD, postdoc etc...). The fundamental flaw of our modern day system is, you earn 'too much'(as least enough to survive and still being able to enjoy non-excessively) by being 'ordinary'(ordinary as in being a degree holder not speciaizing in anything). Please don't tell me that one is good in economic just because they have an undergraduate degree in economic. They know far lesser than the proffesor in an univeristy and yet earn much more on average compared to the professors.

The same thing is happening in sport. Will you choose a harder route (train as badminton player) when you really could put in half the effort you spend in training to pursue a degree, while still very likely to end up having a better paid than badminton players? I think the answer is obvious. Even you push yourself to give up an easier path and strive for excellence in sport career, doubts will creep in when things don't go that well. Many people dropout along the way. Which is why talents are hard to come by these days. China has started to feel its effect as a result of economic bloom in recent years. How long can she keep her dominance in badminton, that's one interesting question I would wanna know.

I have disgress but this also show how much one has to sacrifice in order to reach for the top. Saina Nehwal deserve absolute credit for being focus and know what she exactly wants.
    Last edited by lcleing; 01-15-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Great post, LcLeing! Makes for very interesting reading, and perfectly illustrates the malaise that our society has to deal with today.

The sub-text of this post is something that people should really take time off to understand.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default An article about Saina...

Image makeover for super Saina Nehwal

Ankita Pandey Vallikappen, TNN, Feb 6, 2011, 12.30am IST

MUMBAI: Her hair is streaked blonde. The chunky bangle on her arm perfectly matches the large purple bag and her top. The make-up is subtle and she looks a million bucks. Saina Nehwal walks into the room looking more glamorous than ever before. The group gathered is of the members of Olympic Gold Quest (OGQ) foundation to honour her with a plaque for her achievements. Everyone takes notice and approves. The new avatar, she says, is thanks to the ankle injury she sustained last December.

"Recuperating at home, I had ample time. I thought let me experiment. I had to spend three hours in the parlour for the highlights. And dressing up is something I am learning after going for photo-shoots for magazines and advertisements. The results are showing, I guess," she says.

-----------------------------------------------
    Read more through The Times of India.com -- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...ow/7434057.cms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the best for saina this year. Below are some of her best.

http://www.youtube.com/user/xtremexn.../0/tlxwuxNLIfU

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Fresh and ready for the challenge: Saina

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-...cle1512908.ece

V. V. Subrahmanyam
    HYDERABAD, March 5, 2011

World No. 5 Saina Nehwal says her focus will mainly be on achieving consistency throughout the tournament in next week's All-England championship.

“It all boils down to how well you play from the start to finish in such an event. Even the best players sometimes struggle. So I am looking at getting the basics right” the champion shuttler told The Hindu.

“Honestly, my semifinal appearance in the last edition was a bit of a surprise even for me. But, things have changed a lot since then and at this level you cannot take any opponent for granted,” said Saina.

“Given my current world ranking, there will be some pressure in terms of expectations. But, I am used to these things and I am in a good frame of mind,” said Saina.

“Looking at the draw, I think I might run into different Chinese players with the same style of play. You have to be doubly careful when you face them and you should be able to come up with the right blend of caution and aggression.

“I am not scared of the Chinese but I have to be at my best,” she said.

“The four-week training programme under Gopi Sir at his Academy here was really good and I am feeling fresh and ready for the challenge,” she said.

India's chief National coach P. Gopi Chand believes Saina has a great chance this time.
    “Given her ranking, her growing reputation and the all-round improvement in her game, she can go a long way,” he said.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up India's chief National coach P. Gopi Chand believes Saina has a great chance(2011 AE)

[URL]
    India's chief National coach P. Gopi Chand believes Saina has a great chance this time.

“Given her ranking, her growing reputation and the all-round improvement in her game, she can go a long way,” he said.
    Hope so.

If girls from other countries can do it, I am sure Saina can do it too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Looking at the draw, I think I might run into different Chinese players with the same style of play. ..."
    Barring any Chinese who seep into to Q2 and Q4, if Saina beats just 1 Chinese, she will be the AE 2011 Champion!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weeyeh View Post
    Barring any Chinese who seep into to Q2 and Q4, if Saina beats just 1 Chinese, she will be the AE 2011 Champion!!
    Yes, the chips all seem to be falling in place for Saina. What a lop-sided draw for the AE WS. Top heavy with Chinese

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bae Seung Hee is no pushover (if she is in the correct frame of mind... )...
    But I'd love to see Saina v/s Ratchanok in the semis!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bae Seung Hee is no pushover (if she is in the correct frame of mind... )...
    But I'd love to see Saina v/s Ratchanok in the semis!
    As far as I can see, BSH peaked at the UC last year. She has not been that impressive since then. Plus she is a year older and at her age, one year counts for a lot

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question Saina in a downward spiral?

Why is Saina in a downward spiral for the past 3 months or more? Is it just her physical condition and injury? Or is there something more to it?

Unseeded Hirose sends fancied Saina out of All England

M Ratnakar, TNN | Mar 12, 2011, 09.19pm IST

HYDERABAD: Saina Nehwal's All England dream went up in smoke with a shocking defeat at the hands of Eriko Hirose of Japan 11-21, 20-22 in the quarterfinals at Birmingham on Friday.

Unperturbed by the devastation caused by the tsunami back home, unseeded Hirose ousted Saina, touted as the hot favourite to reach the final after the withdrawal of defending champion Tine Baun and former world No. 1 Wang Yihan from the bottom half of the draw.

full story: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...ow/7688073.cms

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Saina stunned in quarters

It was supposed to be her best chance of winning the coveted title but Saina Nehwal let it slip as she went down in straight games to unseeded Japanese Eriko Hirose in the quarterfinals of the prestigious All England Badminton Championship.

The fifth-seeded Saina, who was expected to win at the event given teh absence of some top Chinese players, lost 21-11 22-20 to her little-known Japanese rival yesterday.

Full story: http://www.mumbaimirror.com/index.as...381060736d3b74

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Saina Nehwal let it slip as she went down in straight games to unseeded Eriko Hirose

Saina stunned in quarters

It was supposed to be her best chance of winning the coveted title but Saina Nehwal let it slip as she went down in straight games to unseeded Japanese Eriko Hirose in the quarterfinals of the prestigious All England Badminton Championship.

The fifth-seeded Saina, who was expected to win at the event given the absence of some top Chinese players, lost 21-11 22-20 to her little-known Japanese rival yesterday.

Full story: http://www.mumbaimirror.com/index.as...381060736d3b74
    Perhaps, Saina has not fully recovered from her last injury.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    Perhaps, Saina has not fully recovered from her last injury.
    I'm not so sure about that. I'm sure the BAI will trot that out as a convenient excuse sooner or later.

However, I still have very serious doubts about the quality and efficacy of the training/coaching setup. There appears to be many deficiencies, and the most glaring is the absence of world-class coaching talent. I have repeatedly criticized Saina's visibly apparent bulk and inefficient muscle tone. Her shuffle to retrieve drops has always left her at a disadvantage. Her backhand is embarrasingly rudimentary. If a bystander can see all this, what have the BAI training/coaching staff been doing about it?

From what I saw of her play at the AE2011, she did not even make the effort to get back to base position from the baseline, on so many instances I lost count. That left her hopelessly out of position, time and again. Couple that with her vulnerability against sharp drops, and you have a recipe for disaster. And that's what happened.
    Last edited by cobalt; 03-13-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saina Nehwal does not have the mental strength to make it in major tournaments, similar or even worse than LCW back in 2008. She has to toughen up her mental strength like LCW before she can contend for major titles...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Saina needs to work more on her footwork

I'm not so sure about that. I'm sure the BAI will trot that out as a convenient excuse sooner or later.

However, I still have very serious doubts about the quality and efficacy of the training/coaching setup. There appears to be many deficiencies, and the most glaring is the absence of world-class coaching talent. I have repeatedly criticized Saina's visibly apparent bulk and inefficient muscle tone. Her shuffle to retrieve drops has always left her at a disadvantage. Her backhand is embarrasingly rudimentary. If a bystander can see all this, what have the BAI training/coaching staff been doing about it?

From what I saw of her play at the AE2011, she did not even make the effort to get back to base position from the baseline, on so many instances I lost count. That left her hopelessly out of position, time and again. Couple that with her vulnerability against sharp drops, and you have a recipe for disaster. And that's what happened.
    Many BCers have thought that Saina needs to work more on her footwork.

Page 29 of 83 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 79 ... LastLast