User Tag List

Page 30 of 83 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 80 ... LastLast

Thread: Saina Nehwal

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by undeadshot View Post
    Saina Nehwal does not have the mental strength to make it in major tournaments, similar or even worse than LCW back in 2008. She has to toughen up her mental strength like LCW before she can contend for major titles...
    I would like to disagree. If anything, she is actually incredibly strong, mentally. But she is being handled incorrectly and inefficiently. Moreover, since the CWG success in New Delhi, she has become the star poster-girl for sports in India, and has been increasingly in demand in events in India that take up her time and attention, and have nothing to do with her training.

Compare this to the expert and highly professional manner in which the CBA girls are handled...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats Saina on winning the swiss open!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Congratulations to Saina for winning at the 2011 Swiss Open

Congratulations to Saina for winning at the 2011 Swiss Open.

Here is an article from Indian Express;

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/sa...g-ways/765135/

====== * ====== start article ====== * ======

Mon Mar 21 2011, 00:41 hrs
    New Delhi

Ace-shuttler Saina Nehwal notched up her first title of the year, clinching the Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold trophy with a straight-game victory in the summit clash against Ji Hyun Sung of Korea in Switzerland on Sunday.

Second seed Saina beat Ji Hyun 21-13 21-14 in 43 minutes to make amends for her quarterfinal exit from the All England Super Series in Birmingham last week.

The world number four Indian had beaten the unseeded Korean, ranked 19th, during the first round of Indonesia Open Super Series last year.

Saina, who had a subdued beginning to the year after recovering from a ligament injury, showed her mettle all through the tournament to swell her trophy cabinet.

Ji Hyun tried to keep pace with Saina till 7-7 but the Indian was indomitable as she broke off from their and surged ahead with gaint strides to pocket the first game comfortably.

In the second game, Saina was ruthless as she opened a four-point lead at 7-3, and held fort to canter to her first title of the season.

The 21-year-old Saina had won three Super Series titles last year — Singapore, Indonesia and Hong Kong Open — besides winning the Commonwealth Games gold and India Grand Prix gold.

She also won the Indonesian Super Series in 2009 besides winning the Chinese Taipei Open Grand Prix Gold in 2008.

====== * ====== end article ====== * ======

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by allidzrused View Post
    Congrats Saina on winning the swiss open!
    Good for Saina in winning the 2011 Wilson SBO.
    However, she should not have lost to EH in the quarter-final of the AE.
    Had she not lost, she could have beaten Petya Nedelcheva in the semi-final and played against WXS in the final. The AE is a prestigious SS premier tournament whereas the WSBO is just a gold grand prix tournament. It was a SS tournament from 2007 to 2010.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Congratulations to Saina. But I also observe that she had to grind it out in 3 games against Eriko Hirose once again at the Swiss Open as well; almost didn't make it...

The Indian media talk a lot about her ligament injury etc, but I have not seen the BAI or her coaches making any statement about her condition over the past month. She picked up the injury last December; it takes about 4 weeks at most with proper physiotherapy etc, so I don't see how they can use that as any sort of excuse for sub-par performance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Currently, Saina is trying to play with more aggression (to smash more)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Congratulations to Saina. But I also observe that she had to grind it out in 3 games against Eriko Hirose once again at the Swiss Open as well; almost didn't make it...

The Indian media talk a lot about her ligament injury etc, but I have not seen the BAI or her coaches making any statement about her condition over the past month. She picked up the injury last December; it takes about 4 weeks at most with proper physiotherapy etc, so I don't see how they can use that as any sort of excuse for sub-par performance.
    Currently, what I find is: SN is trying to play with more aggression (to smash more).

Probably trying to move faster to get into position to smash (Footwork) has caused her ligament problem.
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 03-21-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

India Today - Woman
    March 2011

Last edited by demolidor; 03-23-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"her birth was a great disappointment to her grandparents"

That's nice.

Luckily her parents were great people.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    Currently, what I find is: SN is trying to play with more aggression (to smash more).

Probably trying to move faster to get into position to smash (Footwork) has caused her ligament problem.
    I agree that she is smashing more. I disagree she is moving quicker to get into the smashing position. I think she is slower than before & she is smashing because she is not as good at rallying. This may be because of the injury however.

I was disappointed at the AE. I really like her play but without good footwork she cannot use her main weapons - her strokeplay. All she needs is to be more agile & fast and she can deal with anyone.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    I agree that she is smashing more. I disagree she is moving quicker to get into the smashing position. I think she is slower than before & she is smashing because she is not as good at rallying. This may be because of the injury however.

I was disappointed at the AE. I really like her play but without good footwork she cannot use her main weapons - her strokeplay. All she needs is to be more agile & fast and she can deal with anyone.
    +1
    Most of her smashes at the SO finals were not well directed either, possibly showing up a certain lack of confidence and a tendency to play safe. I think she really had to struggle with her performance. And this against opposition who are not supposed to be in her league, yet. Not impressive; though I so much wish it were different...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tragically also, i watched a lot of comments from her own countrymen on youtube saying her rightful place should be in the kitchen. Also her achievements is not really recognized in her own country, populated by chauvinistic men.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pakito View Post
    Tragically also, i watched a lot of comments from her own countrymen on youtube saying her rightful place should be in the kitchen. Also her achievements is not really recognized in her own country, populated by chauvinistic men.
    Hi Pakito, Are you from India? I am quite surprised that Indian men are still so chauvinistic, when in India there was Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, the first woman ever elected to lead a democracy.

In Australia, our first woman Prime Minister arrived 44 years after Indira's.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha no. My funny name does not suggest that i am from India but Malaysia. Its because i saw a lot of these derogatory remarks on women indian players on you tube when ppl praises Saina.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    Hi Pakito, Are you from India? I am quite surprised that Indian men are still so chauvinistic, when in India there was Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, the first woman ever elected to lead a democracy.

In Australia, our first woman Prime Minister arrived 44 years after Indira's.
    Indira Gandhi in India, Benazir Bhutto in Pakistan, Bangladesh currently has a woman prime-minister... And yet, women still get acid thrown on their faces when they cheat on their husbands in these countries. What a paradox.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or course there are still countries that says they will disfigure you (of course they say teach her a lesson) even though you win a ms universe pageant but show off your thighs in the swimsuit competition.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up In this week's World Rankings, Saina Nehwal has moved to No.3

Quote Originally Posted by Pakito View Post
    Haha no. My funny name does not suggest that i am from India but Malaysia. Its because i saw a lot of these derogatory remarks on women indian players on you tube when ppl praises Saina.
    Oh I see.

Those people might not know that in this week's World Rankings, Saina Nehwal has returned to No.3.

Source: http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/ra...1&category=473
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 03-25-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Page 30 of 83 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 80 ... LastLast