User Tag List

Page 32 of 83 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 82 ... LastLast

Thread: Saina Nehwal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Saina Newhal's chances of winning an Olympic medal

Quote Originally Posted by Fan888 View Post
    Well, she already used up 1 Olympics. Who knows whether she will be competitive or even playing by 2020/2024. I think she has a good shot in 2012 and 2016. Do you think my 1/5 is too high or too low?
    IMHO, 1/5 or 20% is too high. Usually, any World Top 10 player could get a shot/chance to win an Olympic medal.

But, even so, we can never underestimate new up-and-rising stars making themselves known in months to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Injury scare for Saina Nehwal ahead of Indian Open

Injury scare for Saina Nehwal ahead of Indian Open

M Ratnakar, TNN | Apr 25, 2011, 01.22am IST

Saina had sustained the injury during the title clash against Wang Shixian at the Hong Kong Super Series in December last year. But unfortunately for her, an infection was spotted in the ankle a few days back and a scan revealed that there is some extra fluid in the muscle tendon.
    Full report:
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...ow/8076007.cms

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Saina can win an Olympic gold: Tine

Saina can win an Olympic gold: Tine

PTI Ė Sun, Apr 24, 2011 7:15 PM IST

New Delhi, Apr 24 (PTI)

Top Danish shuttler Tine Baun feels that Saina Nehwal has the potential to win an Olympic gold but to do that the Indian will have to be at the peak of her game.

Two-time All England champion Tine said if she and Saina Nehwal can break into the top four in world rankings, only two Chinese could be in the 2012 London Olympics and that would be good for a non-Chinese to win the gold.
    Full report:
    http://in.news.yahoo.com/saina-win-o...134500405.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Saina needs to be faster on court: Peter Gade

Posted: Sun Apr 24 2011, 22:10 hrs New Delhi:

World number six Dane Peter Hoeg Gade has no doubt that ace shuttler Saina Nehwal is one of the most talented players in international circuit but said the Indian needs to move faster on court if she wants to beat the Chinese players consistently and rule the game.

Full report:
    http://www.indianexpress.com/news/sa...r-gade/780703/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, suddenly the top MS and WS of Danish have their say about saina nehwal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    Wow, suddenly the top MS and WS of Danish have their say about saina nehwal
    It's the Indian press interviewing them at the Indian SS. Of course they would ask the Danes about their opinion on Saina! She is a national hero in India.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Indian Open

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Lee Chong Wei and Saina Nehwal are top seeds in singles draw of the India Open Super Series 2011

Malaysiaís Lee Chong Wei and Indiaís Saina Nehwal are placed at the top in Menís and Womenís Singles draws respectively, for the upcoming event of India Open Super Series 2011. The event will take place at the Siri Fort Complex, India from 26 April to 1 May.
    All of the top Chinese shuttlers are not participating in this event because they will appear in the Asian Badminton Championship, which is going to be held in China from 19-24 April.

In the category of Menís Singles, Chong Wei will start off his campaign as top seed of the event. The former World Champion and Olympic Gold Medallist, Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia will be the second seed and Peter Hoeg Gade of Denmark will be the third seed in the Menís category.

Chong Wei has a great opportunity to win the title as his nemesis, Lin Dan of China, will not be there in this event to stop his way. Taufik and Gade are also regarded as the all times best shuttlers in the world and will also put up a good show in the singles category to earn more ranking points for the World Badminton Championship 2011 and for the 2012 London Olympics as well.

In the category of Womenís Singles, Saina is placed at the top as the top Chinese ladies including, World Number one Wang Shixian and World Number two Wang Yihan will not play in this event.

The Swiss Open champion and World Number three, Saina, has a great opportunity to continue her winning streak in the absence of the Chinese shuttlers. The second seed in the Womenís category is Tine Baun of Denmark, whereas Youn Joo Bae of Korea is placed at number three in the list of seeded players.

If Saina manages to win the event, she will also occupy the second spot in the world rankings as she is not far behind the World Number two Wang Yihan of China. Chong Wei is expected to stretch the gap between him and the World Number two Lin Dan, by winning this event.

The second seed, Taufik, will also be looking forward to get back the World Number two spot by delivering a good performance in India. He is very close to Lin in the points table of Menís Singles world rankings.

source: http://blogs.bettor.com/Lee-Chong-We...es-2011-a62111

1. I do take my hat off to Peter Gade, still actively competing at his age. I guess the phrase 'retire while you are still at the top' doesn't apply to him. I personally think it will take Peter Gade to be at his super best and LCW to be at his worst form for Peter to win LCW.

2. Saina is still not up to par with world no 1 Wang Shixian as the former lacks courtcraft and stroke varieties, making her game stagnant and easy to be read.

3. Is it sound to say that since stamina plays a crucial part of the game, players lack the optimum level needed after they are married? For instance, surely LCW 's stamina is better than Taufik who is married. If this is so, will this affect Lin Dan's performance? (but i see his stamina is still good at the recent ABC championships)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think saina nehwal is a patient type player in the court and she has high stamina.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Saina just went down to Ai Goto in Round 2 of the Indian Open, 21-17, 21-19.
    Is it the infected ankle, and insufficient preparation as a result?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She is out in the first round...its shocking as it was in the home courts...but guess it wasnt her day!Iam sure even the best of the players dont have it their way all the time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Injury not the reason for Sainaís exit: Gopichand

Full story: http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-...cle1818907.ece

National badminton coach Pullela Gopichand on Thursday made it clear that injury had nothing to do with top seed Saina Nehwal’s first round exit from the Indian Open Super Series and exuded confidence that the ace shuttler will make a strong comeback in the upcoming Malaysian Open.

“It was just an off day for her, it can happen to anyone. Whatever, she was doing was going the wrong way. She is very disappointed with the loss. She was not moving well on the court. But I don’t think her injury had anything to do with her defeat,” Gopichand told reporters here.

“I think she will come up in a big way in the Malaysian Open,” he insisted after Saina crashed out in the first round of the ongoing India Open after losing 17-21 19-21 to Japan’s Ai Goto on Wednesday.
    ==== =========== =============

I feel there is some good homework the Japanese team have done here. Their girls have been giving Saina a hard time for quite some time now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Why Saina cried

‘Once I lose, there is no one else. Sometimes I wish there was someone on the singles circuit to share the burden; that the Indian challenge didn’t start and finish with me. Sometimes, I get overwhelmed.’

Sandeep Narayan
    MumbaiMirror.com
    Posted On Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 02:32:10 AM

In New Delhi Apart from her free-flowing strokes, Saina Nehwal is known for her winning smile. You see her flashing it after matches, in interviews, and in TV commercials; painting the picture of a confident young woman embracing her rising status in the world of professional badminton.

But this week at the Indian Open, soon after a shock first-round defeat in a tournament she was expected to win despite the lack of proper preparation, Saina slumped on a chair and started crying.

As the tears came streaming down, for the first time in full public view, her coach Bhaskar Babu tried to comfort her, followed by her mother, who had just walked in. For the next few minutes, however, Saina Nehwal was simply inconsolable.

Sitting in a partially illuminated section of the hall, which became a sort of refuge for her after losing to Japan’s little-known Ai Goto, why did Saina, who ostensibly has so much going for her, break down? Why did she weep so bitterly?

“There’s too much pressure on me, every week, week after week,” she told Mumbai Mirror on Friday. “I am the only one from India in or around the top rankings. Once I lose, there is no one else.

“Sometimes I wish there was someone on the singles circuit to share the burden; that the Indian challenge didn’t start and finish with me. Sometimes, I get overwhelmed.”

This feeling of isolatation is unique to Saina, and something not shared by most of the top players she routinely competes with.

“If you look at the other countries China, Malaysia, even Indonesia they all have three or four players in a given tournament with a chance.

“They don’t feel the same pressure because they’re not the only ones who have to win.“We have some good players in India, but for them to play consistently at the top level will take some time. Until then, I’m out on my own.”

Difficult to handle

Though Saina insists that she can handle the pressure, and that all it takes is winning one tournament to feel on top of the world again, the early exit in a home tournament this week was difficult to handle.

“I was shocked by Ai Goto. I had beaten her every time we’d met so far; that day she just played better. I’m not the only top player to go down in the first round, and I won’t be the last.

“It’s happened to Taufik Hidayat, Lee Chong Wei, and everyone else. It was simply an off day. But I was stunned by what had happened. I was blank after a while.”

It’s been a long time since Saina lost in the first round so long that she herself can’t remember when it happened last.

India’s top doubles player, Jwala Gutta, says she understands Saina’s pain. “In singles, there is no one after her. It’s somewhat similar to what Ashwini Ponappa and I have to deal with in doubles. “Once we lose, the tournament ends for India,” she says.

But the pressure on Saina, by virtue of her dramatic rise and her string of unprecedented victories, is definitely higher.

She has a busy schedule coming up, and there could be many losses and many victories.

You never know, she might again be sitting in some dark corner of a stadium, making it her safe haven, before it’s time to wave the Indian flag in another country.

Full story: http://www.mumbaimirror.com/index.as...2169045d124da0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope she can recover from this ASAP. Good luck in next week Mas Open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Physically strong, but mentally, not prepared yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was pretty arrogant of the reporter to call Ai Goto "little-known".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    Totally agree with you. Afterall, Ai goto is japanese number 2 WS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    Probably, not so much arrogant as ill-informed...

Page 32 of 83 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 82 ... LastLast