User Tag List

Page 35 of 83 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 579 to 595 of 1397

Thread: Saina Nehwal

  1. #579
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    The way I read it, it appears she is trying to take the game to the China team; making a point that many other girls from different countries have been reaping more success lately against the WS Wall. I think its valid. More along the lines of positive thinking. Really has nothing to do with the IND team's loss, which would have been no surprise to anyone including Saina herself! And LYB was gracious enough to grant her point as well.
    I see your point, but a better time to say it is AFTER winning a tournament AND defeating a couple CHN WS players. Not after your team just lost.

  2. #580
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    3,321
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fan888 View Post
    I agree completely that for Saina to call China's domination ending is far from the truth, definitely not in WS. I find her comment troubling to boast about her own win while the team lost the match 1-3.
    Saina is most qualified to declare China s domination ending. Among the non-CHN WS, she has beaten the most number of CHN WS: LL, LXR,WL,WSX,WX. Saina has a trademark of successfully revenging her loss to an opponent the next time they meet. All her wins over her CHN opponents have come after she lost to them. It s as if she targets her victor as her next victim. That reflects her tremendous belief and determination to deliver. So if I were a strong WS, I would lose to her before a major so I would not be marked for revenge. And that s how RI sneaked in from behind to thrash her. But did the loss affect her confidence? No way. She was not distracted from her goal to humble WX until fear was on display.

    Saina has also beaten all the other strong players before except Tine and WYH. And that is possibly because she does not yet have the opportunity for revenge, having only met both only once ( I may be wrong here. )

    I m often amused by the amount of CHN worship in spite of data indicating how beatable they are except in WD. Sure, CHN may still win more titles per tournament. The outcome depends on how strong is the field but more importantly whether CHN send the wole army or half. If CHN send the army, CHN should logically sweep. If CHN could not, it signifies the dominance , if real, is crumbling.

    LYB will have to say , more often, how pleased he is that CHN s not winning easily because it helps to promote badminton. He should cover his lie by looking delighted when his players are losing their matches. But the TV camera will reveal his displeasure and grimness. Time to take up some acting lessons, LYB!

  3. #581
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sarawak
    Posts
    944
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    Saina is most qualified to declare China s domination ending. Among the non-CHN WS, she has beaten the most number of CHN WS: LL, LXR,WL,WSX,WX. Saina has a trademark of successfully revenging her loss to an opponent the next time they meet. All her wins over her CHN opponents have come after she lost to them. It s as if she targets her victor as her next victim. That reflects her tremendous belief and determination to deliver. So if I were a strong WS, I would lose to her before a major so I would not be marked for revenge. And that s how RI sneaked in from behind to thrash her. But did the loss affect her confidence? No way. She was not distracted from her goal to humble WX until fear was on display.

    Saina has also beaten all the other strong players before except Tine and WYH. And that is possibly because she does not yet have the opportunity for revenge, having only met both only once ( I may be wrong here. )

    I m often amused by the amount of CHN worship in spite of data indicating how beatable they are except in WD. Sure, CHN may still win more titles per tournament. The outcome depends on how strong is the field but more importantly whether CHN send the wole army or half. If CHN send the army, CHN should logically sweep. If CHN could not, it signifies the dominance , if real, is crumbling.

    LYB will have to say , more often, how pleased he is that CHN s not winning easily because it helps to promote badminton. He should cover his lie by looking delighted when his players are losing their matches. But the TV camera will reveal his displeasure and grimness. Time to take up some acting lessons, LYB!
    The 2 Thai WS players have also improved by leaps and bounds and they should prove a threat to the Chinese. RI played without any fear against SN in the SCXT tournament over a week ago and won in straight games and I can also foresee the 2 Thai girls stretching the Chinese to the limit and even win.
    However, the same cannot be said of the Malaysian WS players who have not shown much progress despite being coached by world-renown coaches. Why?

  4. #582
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,659
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skchen View Post
    The 2 Thai WS players have also improved by leaps and bounds and they should prove a threat to the Chinese. RI played without any fear against SN in the SCXT tournament over a week ago and won in straight games and I can also foresee the 2 Thai girls stretching the Chinese to the limit and even win.
    However, the same cannot be said of the Malaysian WS players who have not shown much progress despite being coached by world-renown coaches. Why?
    .
    Because Malaysian WS players are not as determined to concentrate fully to play for Malaysia; not like Saina for India.

    Over the last half a decade, I have seen Wong Mew Choo and Julia Wong trying to perform their best for Malaysia; but unfortunately both of them (on their way) suffered injuries.
    .

  5. #583
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    3,321
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skchen View Post
    The 2 Thai WS players have also improved by leaps and bounds and they should prove a threat to the Chinese. RI played without any fear against SN in the SCXT tournament over a week ago and won in straight games and I can also foresee the 2 Thai girls stretching the Chinese to the limit and even win.
    However, the same cannot be said of the Malaysian WS players who have not shown much progress despite being coached by world-renown coaches. Why?
    Because they were kept in the well while WMC used up all the tournament funds that should have gone to be used for the youngsters exposure.
    How can any youngster show progress when they don t have enough opportunities to learn from competing? The Thai WS easily has 3x or 4x more tournament exposure than MAS WS.

    Get some fundamentals right. If a youngster is to win matches, they have to have at least 2 years of consistent competitive opportunities. Not start and stop reactive schedules. Key objective is to win matches to improve ranking and get into the main draw. Not reach QF!

  6. #584
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,665
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Fitness level, not tourneys, can make or mar Saina

    Fitness level, not tourneys, can make or mar Saina

    Firstpost.com Jun 6, 2011

    Saina Nehwal needs to take a break right now. In the last few interviews to the national and international media, Saina has been speaking about her desire to become the world number one by the end of this year.

    There is no doubt that the 21-year-old has the potential to reach the top spot in the world, but Saina should know that setting a time period will unnecessarily put more pressure on her and she will look to play more and more tournaments to achieve that goal.

    Saina hinted at the same during an interaction with the official website of the Badminton World Federation last month when she said, “There are a lot of tournaments this year and I believe I have what it takes to take on the other top players, especially those from China.”

    Full story: http://www.firstpost.com/blogs/fitne...ina-20945.html


  7. #585
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    648
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post

    Saina has also beaten all the other strong players before except Tine and WYH. And that is possibly because she does not yet have the opportunity for revenge, having only met both only once ( I may be wrong here. )
    She has met WYH once and Tine Baun twice......

  8. #586
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,665
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Time running out for Saina, says Hartono

    London Games Saina Nehwal's best chance to win gold, says Rudy Hartono

    Indian Express, Tue Jun 07 2011, 01:41 hrs


    At 21, Saina Nehwal may already be India's most successful badminton player, with a plethora of titles in her kitty — the Super Series tournaments in Indonesia, Singapore and Hong Kong and Grand Prix Gold tournaments in Chinese Taipei, India and Switzerland are amongst her exploits.

    But Rudy Hartono feels it's time she stepped up the ladder to truly challenge the Chinese for the top spot.

    Big three

    And for that, he feels, she needs to win the big tournaments that have eluded her so far — the All England Championship, The World Championship and the Olympic medal. Hartono — the 1980 World Champion and eight-time winner of the All England Championships — feels Saina must win these titles in the next two years, before she crosses her peak.

    "This year and the next is crucial for her. She must win all that she can before she goes past her peak. She definitely has the potential to reach the number one spot, but she must win the big titles before she can do so", the Indonesian great told The Indian Express on Monday.

    In the past year, Saina has managed to make her way through the crowd of Chinese players in the top ten and has achieved a stable fourth ranking, even touching number two and three for a few weeks. But to cement her place at the top of the badminton world, Hartono feels a lot of work is yet to be done.

    "She has good strokeplay but it is not good enough. She needs to work on it a lot more if she wants to break into the top two consistently. She also needs to build up her muscular strength and reduce her unforced errors. Even when she is out of position she must return her shots," said Hartono.

    The London Olympics next year, according to Hartono, are going to be very important, both for Saina's career and for India's hopes of winning an Olympic medal in the sport. And, contrary to popular opinion, he is of the view that Saina, who made the quarters at the Beijing Olympics in 2008, will be well past her peak by the time the 2016 Olympics in Rio De Janeiro come around and feels she should do all she can at London.

    "By the time women turn 26, they are past their peak. Their career often hinges on whether they will get married or not. Saina should make the most of the time she has so that she is successful in the London Olympics. Her game must be more effective than beautiful. It should produce results. She must realise her talent and train harder to achieve that top spot, because she definitely has it in her to do so," said Hartono.

    Full story: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Ti...artono/800216/

  9. #587
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    Saina is most qualified to declare China s domination ending. Among the non-CHN WS, she has beaten the most number of CHN WS: LL, LXR,WL,WSX,WX. Saina has a trademark of successfully revenging her loss to an opponent the next time they meet. All her wins over her CHN opponents have come after she lost to them. It s as if she targets her victor as her next victim. That reflects her tremendous belief and determination to deliver. So if I were a strong WS, I would lose to her before a major so I would not be marked for revenge. And that s how RI sneaked in from behind to thrash her. But did the loss affect her confidence? No way. She was not distracted from her goal to humble WX until fear was on display.

    Saina has also beaten all the other strong players before except Tine and WYH. And that is possibly because she does not yet have the opportunity for revenge, having only met both only once ( I may be wrong here. )

    I m often amused by the amount of CHN worship in spite of data indicating how beatable they are except in WD. Sure, CHN may still win more titles per tournament. The outcome depends on how strong is the field but more importantly whether CHN send the wole army or half. If CHN send the army, CHN should logically sweep. If CHN could not, it signifies the dominance , if real, is crumbling.

    LYB will have to say , more often, how pleased he is that CHN s not winning easily because it helps to promote badminton. He should cover his lie by looking delighted when his players are losing their matches. But the TV camera will reveal his displeasure and grimness. Time to take up some acting lessons, LYB!
    With Saina's recent performance at the Thai Open and Singapore Open, she does not look like the most qualified WS player to declare China's dominant ending. If you read my previous post, I am a fan of her game, but not so much on the way she talks. I like it better when she lets her games do the talking.

  10. #588
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Badmintonshire
    Posts
    1,563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fan888 View Post
    With Saina's recent performance at the Thai Open and Singapore Open, she does not look like the most qualified WS player to declare China's dominant ending. If you read my previous post, I am a fan of her game, but not so much on the way she talks. I like it better when she lets her games do the talking.
    It's too big to say NS is "the most qualified WS player to declare China's dominant ending". She's at most the most qualified to "challenge" China's dominance. The biggest enemy of China's WS is actually themselves.

  11. #589
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fan888 View Post
    With Saina's recent performance at the Thai Open and Singapore Open, she does not look like the most qualified WS player to declare China's dominant ending. If you read my previous post, I am a fan of her game, but not so much on the way she talks. I like it better when she lets her games do the talking.
    Whether or not SN can end the Chinese dominance remains to be seen, but cut her some slack regarding her recent performances in Bangkok, Singapore and at the Sudirman Cup. I saw and talked to her in Bangkok and if you saw how badly bruised and bloodied both her legs were from the treadmill accident she had, it's amazing she played at all.

    She wasn't making excuses, but said her knee was causing her a lot of pain and that she was at about 50% healthwise. I give her a lot of credit for just trying to play in her most recent tournaments.

  12. #590
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,665
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default "Saina’s loss has a pattern to it"

    Saina’s loss has a pattern to it


    By Aparna Popat
    Full atricle: http://www.firstpost.com/blogs/saina...-it-25319.html

    Some excerpts:

    "I think that this scoring system is a leveller. In the sense, the gap between good players and very good players has been reduced considerably. It’s common for an ordinary player to win 13-14 points in a game. Thereafter, the game can swing any way. This is the prime reason why top players like Peter Gade and Taufik Hidayat voiced their opinion against this system. Their dominance on the world stage would come under threat.

    "Consistency and concentration play a vital role in the game today. One cannot afford to take it easy at any point. Therefore, we have seen matches where the players play well right through and then with a brief loss of focus end up on the losing side. Also, a lead taken by one player cannot be closed in on easily. This was not the case with the earlier format where a slip in concentration could receive a reprieve.

    "Smart strategy, especially towards the end of the game, is important – because with this scoring, there is many a slip between the cup and the lip. A classic example would be Saina’s loss to Maria Kristin Yulianti in the quarters of the 2008 Beijing Olympics. She squandered away a lead of 11-3 in the deciding game. Her end-game strategy faltered, hence she lost focus and paid a heavy price."

  13. #591
    Regular Member george@chongwei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    29,946
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Saina vs Ratchanok during the Sudirman Cup.

  14. #592
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,665
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Saina Nehwal is a bit low on fitness: Gopichand

    Mid-Day.com
    Last updated on Monday, 27 June 2011 13:07

    Jakarta: World No 4 Saina Nehwal continued her inconsistent run this year with a defeat in the final of the Indonesian Super Series badminton to China's World No 3 Yihan Wang. Saina was the defending champion here and having also won the title the year before, was expected to complete a hat-trick of titles. Instead, she went down 21-12, 21-23, 14-21, which leaves her with just one title so far this year in the shape of the Swiss Open Grand Prix, besides two runner-up finishes in Malaysia and Indonesia.

    National coach Pullela Gopichand admitted his ward was inconsistent. "Yes, she surely has been inconsistent, but that is not something to worry about as she has had some really good wins as well," Gopichand told MiD DAY from Jakarta on Sunday. The 2001 All-England champion said the final was an evenly contested battle. "It was close. In fact, Saina actually served on match-point at one stage. She was unlucky."

    Gopichand however felt Saina was lacking a bit on the fitness front. "Her fitness was a bit down, and that's something she needs to work on, but overall things are fine. I'm sure she will be back at playing her best at the World Championships (to be played in London from Aug 8 to 14)."

    Full report: http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/b...ness-gopichand

    --------------------
    Bruised knees, bruised shins, bandages and all. She made it to the finals, almost completed the hattrick, just one point away. A great job by Saina!!! It shows a huge level of commitment and responsibility.

  15. #593
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,236
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think if you say lack of fitness was a problem, then you have to go back to the first game and see why.

    One problem is she needed to be aggressive to contain Wang YH who set up a really fast pace.

    I noticed that Wang YH played a lot of pushes initially making Saina twist and turn. Twisting and turning with changes of balance is not Saina's strong point at all. She doesn't seem to have the same ability to change acceleration compared to the chinese players. Racquet skills wise, I don't see a big difference at all.

    You may also notice that Saina has difficulty coping with very steep smashes to her backhand. That may be because of not dropping her centre of balance enough before moving sideways.

    I noticed in the past her split step was not very good. I can't tell on TV whether this is still something very noticable.


    So, if she has difficulty twisting and turning early in the match, her movement will become even more tired at the end of a 3 setter.

    It would be interesting to analyse her matches and see whether her win:loss ratio in 3 set matches.
    Last edited by Cheung; 06-27-2011 at 06:45 PM.

  16. #594
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    I think if you say lack of fitness was a problem, then you have to go back to the first game and see why.

    One problem is she needed to be aggressive to contain Wang YH who set up a really fast pace.

    I noticed that Wang YH played a lot of pushes initially making Saina twist and turn. Twisting and turning with changes of balance is not Saina's strong point at all. She doesn't seem to have the same ability to change acceleration compared to the chinese players. Racquet skills wise, I don't see a big difference at all.

    So, if she has difficulty twisting and turning early in the match, her movement will become even more tired at the end of a 3 setter.

    It would be interesting to analyse her matches and see whether her win:loss ratio in 3 set matches.
    I agree racket skills are pretty evenly matched with the top players, she lacks agility.

  17. #595
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,236
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    I agree racket skills are pretty evenly matched with the top players, she lacks agility.
    Referring to my earlier post (with a typo)

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...l=1#post691338

Page 35 of 83 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Saina Nehwal and Ranking
    By geebees90 in forum India Professional Players
    Replies: 12
    : 12-13-2010, 08:57 AM
  2. Tribute to Indian Star, Saina Nehwal
    By Loh in forum India Professional Players
    Replies: 9
    : 08-01-2009, 10:25 PM
  3. Saina Nehwal at the 2009 India Open
    By chris-ccc in forum India Open 2009
    Replies: 28
    : 03-27-2009, 11:47 PM
  4. Interview with Indian Rising Star and Phil Open Champion Saina Nehwal
    By vip_m in forum India Professional Players
    Replies: 1
    : 06-08-2006, 11:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •