User Tag List

Page 37 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Saina Nehwal

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rajat_remar View Post
    N JAGANNATH DAS
    Express News Service
    Last Updated : 06 Aug 2011 11:23:06 AM IST

HYDERABAD: Chief coach Pullela Gopichand expects a much better performance from Saina Nehwal in the badm�inton World Championship, which gets underway at the Wembley Indoor Arena in London from Monday.

�The overall focus will be on Saina. She has also been playing and moving well. The practice sessions have been good for the last few weeks. We expect her to do well in London,�� said Gopichand , while speaking To TNIE before the Indian team�s departure to London. Excerpts from an interview...

On Saina�s recent show

I was not satisfied with her overall play in the last few tournaments. She was going through a lean patch, her str�okes were not on target. There were a few problems with her fitness but she is looking much better in the last four or five weeks. She has trained hard for the worlds.

On Saina under pressure

She is a seasoned player. She has played all the players whom she will face in the World Championship. There is nothing new in the world level in terms of players. It is how you get adjusted to the conditions and how focused you are before the tournament. That is all that matters.

On Olympics and World Championship

Saina should not keep the Olympics in mind now. She is capable of doing well and winning matches in the big events. She has showed it in the past. I would like her to play the World Championship like any another tournament. If the preparations is good, I don�t think there will be any problem for Saina.

For more info: http://expressbuzz.com/sport/expect-...pi/301543.html
    really? the best she ever got were defeated in QF;

2008 OLY to Maria Kristin Yulianti
    2009 WC to Wang Lin, and
    2010 WC to Wang Shixian.

she definitely shown us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    what a load of rubbish, here is Nehwal's consistent head-to-head against the top 4 in the draw,

Saina NEHWAL 0-2 WANG Yihan
    Saina NEHWAL 1-3 WANG Xin
    Saina NEHWAL 0-3 JIANG Yanjiao
    Saina NEHWAL 1-1 WANG Shixian

Gopichand is really taking the 'talking it up' to a new height.
    As coach Pullela has to talk tough to give ZN morale booster, can't expect him to make negative statements to sink ZN hopes at this point. ZN path had WX, then WYH and WSX/JYJ/TB, that is tough. And Firda is a handful for her too.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uncle OTB, Saina Nehwal = SN. Not ZN as in Zhang Ning. Confused. 2nd time error, if I am not wrong.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Saina Nehwal can beat any Chinese player: Pullela Gopichand

Saina Nehwal can beat any Chinese player: Pullela Gopichand

Published: Monday, Aug 8, 2011, 7:00 IST
    By Gautam Sheth | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

Full story: http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/interv...ichand_1573610

Excerpts:

She has had a mixed year so far. Is it more because of the form or is she still recovering from her injury?
    I think at 21, what she has achieved is fantastic. I dont think there is anything to worry. There isnt anything to panic about as such. She has lost a couple of times recently but I think that is fine. If you can believe in yourself and back yourself, I dont think it should be a problem as such. Saina consistently puts in the efforts so its all fine.

Any particular player from China who can bother Saina
    That depends on how fit the Chinese players are coming in to the tournament and how fit Saina is. I mean, China comes up with a new world beater at the drop of a hat. All of them are at their peak always and you really cant rate one better than another. So, I really dont know if any specific player would be a threat to her. Saina, too, can beat anyone of them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nokh88 View Post
    Uncle OTB, Saina Nehwal = SN. Not ZN as in Zhang Ning. Confused. 2nd time error, if I am not wrong.
    Thank you, thank you....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Saina Nehwal can beat any Chinese player: Pullela Gopichand

Published: Monday, Aug 8, 2011, 7:00 IST
    By Gautam Sheth | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

Full story: http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/interv...ichand_1573610

Excerpts:

She has had a mixed year so far. Is it more because of the form or is she still recovering from her injury?
    I think at 21, what she has achieved is fantastic. I don’t think there is anything to worry. There isn’t anything to panic about as such. She has lost a couple of times recently but I think that is fine. If you can believe in yourself and back yourself, I don’t think it should be a problem as such. Saina consistently puts in the efforts so it’s all fine.

Any particular player from China who can bother Saina…
    That depends on how fit the Chinese players are coming in to the tournament and how fit Saina is. I mean, China comes up with a new world beater at the drop of a hat. All of them are at their peak always and you really can’t rate one better than another. So, I really don’t know if any specific player would be a threat to her. Saina, too, can beat anyone of them.
    That is true SN can beat any of them and vice versa too...but the problem is SN might face all 3 of them consecutively to win it all, and that makes it more difficult, in other words SN has to be top form, mentally and physically, all 3 nights. Whereas the CHN WS are playing for CHN, if any of them wins, that is mission accomplished. The dark horse IMO is TB...WSX game is suited to TB and if JS can beat JYJ, TB has a chance and in final, anything can happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saina lost in the QF of the Asian Games too... to Yip Pui Yin. I am afraid that unless she gets rid of her mental block like what I posted many pages ago, she will not go far...

Don't get me wrong, I really hope she reaches the SF at the very least but I doubt it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2011 World Championships: Saina Nehwal should at least make it to the Quarter-Finals?

Quote Originally Posted by undeadshot View Post
    Saina lost in the QF of the Asian Games too... to Yip Pui Yin. I am afraid that unless she gets rid of her mental block like what I posted many pages ago, she will not go far...

Don't get me wrong, I really hope she reaches the SF at the very least but I doubt it.
    IMHO, Saina should at least make it to the Quarter-Finals.

But let's wait and see.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The coach who mentored Sainas early progress is no more

The Indian Express
    Posted: Thu Aug 11 2011, 01:24 hrs Mumbai

Full story: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Th...o-more/830218/

Excerpts:

He was known to lecture Saina Nehwal to not expend too much energy, and urging her to increase her repertoire of strokes, but Mir Mahboob Ali one of the shuttlers earliest coaches who passed away in Hyderabad last week will be best remembered for convincing her to make one of the most important dietary alterations of her life.

Hailing from a strict vegetarian family, Nehwal was patiently goaded by Ali to start her meat intake and other non-vegetarian fare, to help supplement her dietary requirements in her early years.

He ensured she had strong nourishment in the most crucial years alongside training her in the on-court techniques, Nehwals father Dr Harvir Singh recalls.

Without any ego, Ali would painstakingly help her practice the same routine by hitting with her. It was like private tuitions, while what she learnt at LB was like the main school, Harvir recalls, paying tributes to the little-known former coach who never hunted glory even as Nehwal rose in repute.

Another shuttler who trained at times under Ali was Indias doubles star Jwala Gutta. I was training mainly under Arif but would go to Mir Mahboob Ali when Arif was not around.

He was the one who changed my receiving stance and that was important for my career. The small things always helped. One thing that he never forgot was to feed us biryani and aamras during Id, Gutta recalls.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N JAGANNATH DAS
    Express News Service
    Last Updated : 06 Aug 2011 11:23:06 AM IST

HYDERABAD: Chief coach Pullela Gopichand expects a much better performance from Saina Nehwal in the badm�inton World Championship, which gets underway at the Wembley Indoor Arena in London from Monday.

On Olympics and World Championship

Saina should not keep the Olympics in mind now. She is capable of doing well and winning matches in the big events. She has showed it in the past. I would like her to play the World Championship like any another tournament. If the preparations is good, I don�t think there will be any problem for Saina.

On Saina�s fitness

Getting back her to full fitness was important. We concentrated on a few strokes. The fitness was down and we have been able to work to make her last three games. We feel things are looking much better now.

On Chinese factor

Chinese have the fear of Saina because she has beaten them consistently. Saina has the game to match them because you are going to have tough rounds and in the World C�ship the entire draw is tough. All the matches are going to be hard fought.

For more info: http://expressbuzz.com/sport/expect-...pi/301543.htm

an update, another defeat in BIG events QF:

2009 WC to Wang Lin
    2010 WC to Wang Shixian
    2011 WC to Wang Xin.

head-to-head to her scared to death Chinese rivals;

Saina NEHWAL 1-4 WANG Xin
    Saina NEHWAL 1-1 WANG Shixian.

now, someone must be afraid, really afraid.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

an update, another defeat in BIG events QF: 2008 OLY to Maria Kristin Yulianti 2009 WC to Wang Lin 2010 WC to Wang Shixian 2011 WC to Wang Xin. head-to-head to her scared to death Chinese rivals; Saina NEHWAL 0-2 WANG Yihan Saina NEHWAL 1-4 WANG Xin Saina NEHWAL 0-3 JIANG Yanjiao Saina NEHWAL 1-1 WANG Shixian. now, someone must be afraid, really afraid.
    Saina is a threat to the Chinese but to say she has beaten them consistently is simply not true as you've pointed out. She could knock out any one of the CHN WS but not all three consecutively should that be the draw. Unfortunately, it's also true that China produces world beaters at the drop of a hat, just look at Li Xuerui,for example, who has beaten Saina a number of times recently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

an update, another defeat in BIG events QF:

2009 WC to Wang Lin
    2010 WC to Wang Shixian
    2011 WC to Wang Xin.

head-to-head to her scared to death Chinese rivals;

Saina NEHWAL 1-4 WANG Xin
    Saina NEHWAL 1-1 WANG Shixian.

now, someone must be afraid, really afraid.
    I believe she hasn't went past an AE QF too...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by undeadshot View Post
    I believe she hasn't went past an AE QF too...
    she was in the 2010 AE SF, lost to TR

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Everything that's happened with Saina over the past 6-9 months reinforces my belief that she is just not being handled properly. The people who are responsible for her coaching need to take a step back and review their own approach and ask some searching questions.

Its all very well to constantly blame Saina, but her performance is not just about her inputs. Her training, practise, nutrition, rehab, tactical/psychological awareness... all of these are handled by persons who are part of the team. Or supposed to be, in any case.
    And this holds true for any top-level pro who wants to be a world-beater.

Her graph showed relatively constant improvement during the time that Atik Jauhari was involved. Subsequent to his leaving, her performances became more and more erratic; the incidence of injuries went up; her fitness, mobility and front-foot abilities saw drastic swings in performance.

She is certainly a fighter, and will give everything she has. But there are many subtle dimensions that are mostly absent. There is a huge lack of imaginative initiative in her game; there is no effort to change things up, or to keep track of the strategic flow of the game. These aspects are completely lacking. In fact, I would go so far as to say that these aspects are lacking to a significant extent in the game of most of the current stock in Indian players.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Saina learnt karate as a small kid, got a brown belt, and gave it all up at age 8. Here is what a brown belt girl looks like... now...

Name:  7434069.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  23.4 KB

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Meet the champion: Saina Nehwal
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011
    http://wonderwoman.intoday.in/wonder...na-nehwal.html

Excerpts:

...The living room and the dining space are done up modestly, and her bedroom is almost bare, no shine here. Saina laughs, 'I grew up very modestly. We only live with what's necessary. I don't want to make my room chaotic with things I don't need.'

...Saina is quite the pampered one at home - 'I am the younger of the two siblings, so I was spoilt from the beginning, not just by my parents but by my sister too. She is married now, but when she visits us, I have her make aloo parathas specially - it's not allowed in my diet otherwise.'

...'Saina isn't the most gifted player, but she has worked hard for every tournament that she has won. She got opportunities and she explored them, and she was patient.' Candid assessment from a parent of so talented a child.

...Even today, Saina says that she doesn't have many friends, besides the ones from the fraternity who she plays with - 'and even with them, you really can't be friends, as there's always an element of rivalry and jealousy.' So, who does she turn to for advice? 'I share my emotions with Mom. When I am losing it because I am nervous, or getting depressed when things are not going my way, I speak to her. We play video games and go for movies together when I have time. She is an inspirational person. She was a badminton player too, so we discuss the game, and she gives me tips on how to play an opponent.'

Name:  nehwal_090711041109.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  32.5 KBName:  sania2_090711041109.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  38.5 KBName:  family_090711041109.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  36.7 KB

Page 37 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast