User Tag List

Page 41 of 83 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Saina Nehwal

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London_Player View Post
    I can't see her beating all 3 chinese in row to win a major tournament. She could manager or 1 or 2 of them along the way but not all 3. The Chinese wall is too strong for the Indian or for the Danish for that matter, but Saina is better than the tall Dane, who is getting too old.
    I think she'll need to beat just 2 Chinese based on the group format this time round, right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if it's two Chinese then she has a chance. I think her biggest Chinese rival is Wang Yihan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know Saniahs current Racket, string and string tension?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shosasakigamba View Post
    Anyone know Saniahs current Racket, string and string tension?
    Racket : Nanoray 700RP

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Without a new gameplan, Saina is doomed
    Mar 15, 2012

http://www.firstpost.com/blogs/witho...ed-245197.html

Excerpts:

...In fact, Saina must be wondering at the precarious situation she finds herself after every major tournament this year. The world number four, who will turn 22 in a couple of days, hasn’t lost to anyone but the mighty Chinese in her 12 international matches this year and still there is a cause for worry ahead of the London Olympic Games among her coaches and to some extend in her own mind.

...Saina was the first to admit after the match that she was unhappy with her performance and needed to raise the bar. May be instead, she could look at going around the hurdle rather than jumping over it.

Simply put, implement a different game plan to surprise her opponents at times.

One of the regular criticism of Saina’s game by international coaches has been that the Indian ace, who relies on wearing down opponents with long rallies and net domination, does not have a good Plan ‘B’ that she can bank upon when the opposition comfortably negotiates her grinding down strategy.

That limitation was visible even during the All England quarterfinal when Xuerui showed the confidence to play high-risk shots to negate the AC drift and finish off rallies when she was under pressure.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb If Saina's speed, strength and stamina can be improved, she could be World No.1

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Without a new gameplan, Saina is doomed
    Mar 15, 2012

http://www.firstpost.com/blogs/witho...ed-245197.html

Excerpts:

...In fact, Saina must be wondering at the precarious situation she finds herself after every major tournament this year. The world number four, who will turn 22 in a couple of days, hasn’t lost to anyone but the mighty Chinese in her 12 international matches this year and still there is a cause for worry ahead of the London Olympic Games among her coaches and to some extend in her own mind.

...Saina was the first to admit after the match that she was unhappy with her performance and needed to raise the bar. May be instead, she could look at going around the hurdle rather than jumping over it.

Simply put, implement a different game plan to surprise her opponents at times.

One of the regular criticism of Saina’s game by international coaches has been that the Indian ace, who relies on wearing down opponents with long rallies and net domination, does not have a good Plan ‘B’ that she can bank upon when the opposition comfortably negotiates her grinding down strategy.

That limitation was visible even during the All England quarterfinal when Xuerui showed the confidence to play high-risk shots to negate the AC drift and finish off rallies when she was under pressure.
    As I see it, Saina's skill is comparable to her Chinese opponents.

If Saina's speed, strength and stamina can be improved, she could be World No.1.

Whatever Plan ‘B’ is; Speed, strength and stamina are still required.
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 04-07-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree. For me it is not the plan that is the problem, it is the ability to execute it.

Speed is her main weakness.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She has strength in abundance. Speed is the thing that lets her down the most.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I remember Peter Gade also mentioning the same about her.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am happy that I have come back stronger: Saina
    Mar 21, 2012

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/i-am...na-251021.html

Excerpts:

...“It was really painful. I had to listen (to) a lot of things… cried a lot and it was a tough phase for me. (I had to endure) lot of pains, lot of injuries to get that confidence back,” Saina said.

...I just pray to God that I stay injury-free and be ready for Olympics.”

...“I think I have to make a lot of changes (to my game). I know where the Chinese players are catching me. I know where I have to change and how to become quicker on court.”

“I need to be ready for strokes where they are catching me. They must have found where they can catch me. I need to work hard, work on areas (to improve my game).”

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

‘Now I want Chinese to worry about me’
    Sunday, 15 April 2012
    Garima Verma n New Delhi

http://dailypioneer.com/sports/57733-now-i-want-chinese-to-worry-about-me.html

Excerpts:

“I have learnt to get over losses now. Now it’s not about what is going to happen tomorrow or how I am going to play. Even if I lose it’s okay,” Saina said here on Saturday, a few hours before the Indian squad left for the Asia Championships in Shandong, China, starting on April 17.

“I just got fed up and thought I am now just going to play without any tension,” the world No 5 said, adding, “The next few months would be crucial because there would be major corrections in the tournaments such as ABC, India Open, Singapore Open in the run-up to the Olympics. There are a few Chinese players like Wang Yihan, Li Xuerui and Jiang Yanjiao whose games are a bit tricky.”

“But I am happy that people have put me there with the Chinese (when it comes to fighting for the titles). They want to put pressure on me because there are 3-4 of them. I don’t want that to happen. Even I want them to worry about playing me. When I am in the rhythm, nobody can stop me. I can beat all of them,” a visibly more relaxed and confident Saina said with a smile. “I am blessed like that.”

...With world No 1 Lee Chong Wei set to lead the visiting challenge in men’s singles, No 2 Lin Dan choosing to give the tourney a skip, 27th-ranked Ajay Jayaram and 31st-ranked P Kashyap would be looking to make the most of lessened challenge and fight it out for the lone Olympics spot.

Quick 5 : Saina Nehwal
    Does being a medal contender add to pressure?
    I am used to it, proud of that also. I know I am a better player and much more confident. Sometimes it’s difficult to handle pressure but I am happy the country has expectations from me.
    Strategy for the Olympics?
    Main aim is to play longer rallies. I can run a lot more. I have better stamina than most of the players. Just need to be a bit more relaxed. Rallies are going to happen in women’s game as it’s not a power-backed game like men’s. Even if you make me play two hours I will be fine. I lost 5.5kg for better fitness and that has helped in my speed.
    How cautious would be cautious enough when it comes to injuries?
    I have to do very-very tough training. This is just the starting. What I can do is sleep well, proper massage, eat good food. I don’t know what God has in store. If something has to happen it will happen.
    How’ll you counter the Chinese?
    In the run-up to the Games, I would play a lot of Chinese players. It would be like one against seven Chinese. I want to put pressure on them by beating them, so that they can also be under tension before the Olympics.
    Pre-Olympic schedule?
    Before Olympics I have four tournaments and I want to see how much I have improved. Major corrections would be done in these tournaments, so I want to know how I perform in the India Open. I was lucky to get over ankle injury quickly. I was a little shaky due to it, going to the net and coming back, but feeling good now. I played well in the Swiss Open and I am in good form this time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sincerely wish that she would stop making so many unwarranted comments and just simply get on with her training. Every other day, there's some or the other article cropping up in which either she's saying something or someone else is talking about her. I wish they'd stop all the hoopla and just let her concentrate on her training. All this talk may just come back to bite her, if she fails in the OG. If she wins there, it'd be all that matters then!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uselessmail View Post
    I sincerely wish that she would stop making so many unwarranted comments and just simply get on with her training. Every other day, there's some or the other article cropping up in which either she's saying something or someone else is talking about her. I wish they'd stop all the hoopla and just let her concentrate on her training. All this talk may just come back to bite her, if she fails in the OG. If she wins there, it'd be all that matters then!
    She really has a lot of hot air coming out from her mouth. I have never come across a non-Chinese player before who demonstrated excessive confidence by being so mouthy before any tournament.

There's a fine line between arrogance and confidence...i think she kinda overstepped it. Even if she wins the Olympics, i think she will be shunned by quite a lot of players because of what she says.

The more she makes such remarks to the media, the more eagerness I want to see this player gets defeated in every tournament because she obviously doesn't understand how to exercise decent modesty.
    It will be hilarious to see her getting beaten by someone from KOR/INA/JPN because she keeps stressing as if the Chinese players are the only ones that are qualified to challenge her.
    Last edited by Miqilin7; 04-15-2012 at 03:25 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so, in short she;

is right up there for titles; in fact she was in 2 SS finals of the last 2 years, won 1 lost 1.
    NOBODY can stop her; based on the results of the last few years, anyone can
    she can beat all of them; right, one at a time thus end up as loser
    is a medal contender; anyone in the draw is a medal contender
    better stamina than most of the players; say who?
    no problem to play for 2 hours;

some results from my database certainly shown her excellent record and stamina

2008 Olympics QF Maria Kristin Yulianti 2 - 1 Saina Nehwal 26 28 21 14 21 15
    2009 Indonesia Open F Saina Nehwal 2 - 1 Wang Lin 12 21 21 18 21 9
    2009 World Championships QF Wang Lin 2 - 0 Saina Nehwal 21 16 21 19
    2010 All England SF Saina Nehwal 0 - 2 Tine Rasmussen Baun 19 21 17 21
    2010 Hong Kong Open F Saina Nehwal 2 - 1 Wang Shixian 15 21 21 16 21 17
    2010 World Championships QF Wang Shixian 2 - 0 Saina Nehwal 21 8 21 14
    2011 China Masters QF Wang Yihan 2 - 0 Saina Nehwal 21 8 21 12
    2011 Indonesia Open F Wang Yihan 2 - 1 Saina Nehwal 12 21 23 21 21 14
    2011 Japan Open SF Juliane Schenk 2 - 0 Saina Nehwal 21 19 21 10
    2011 Malaysia Gold F Wang Xin 2 - 1 Saina Nehwal 13 21 21 8 21 14
    2011 Sudirman Cup QF Wang Xin 0 - 2 Saina Nehwal 15 21 11 21
    2011 World Championships QF Wang Xin 2 - 0 Saina Nehwal 21 15 21 10
    2012 All England QF Li Xuerui 2 - 0 Saina Nehwal 21 13 21 14
    2012 Malaysia Open SF Wang Yihan 2 - 0 Saina Nehwal 21 18 23 8

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    ‘Now I want Chinese to worry about me’
    Sunday, 15 April 2012
    Garima Verma n New Delhi

http://dailypioneer.com/sports/57733-now-i-want-chinese-to-worry-about-me.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best part of her defeat was to Li Xuerui when she blatantly belittled her opponent as a not-so-tough opponent to face before speculatively meeting Wang Xin in the Semi-Final of the All England.

When I learnt about her straight set loss to Li Xuerui, I couldnt hold myself from laughing as she really deserves to get the taste of her own medicine for being so cocky before the competition even began. She doesn't show respect to any of her opponents from what i could tell on the surface.

This is one of the reasons why I dont want to see this player stand on the medal podium in the Olympics. I am not saying she doesn't have what it takes to be there but her flaws off-court are excessive.
    Last edited by Miqilin7; 04-15-2012 at 04:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully a non-Chinese player (maybe Ratchanok or Tai-phoon) will teach this girl a lesson she will never forget...in major tournaments.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uselessmail View Post
    True! I kinda agree with your sentiments.

I also wonder sometimes at the knee-jerk reaction and clearly partisan views of some of our own members, who don't seem to be helping the cause of the game in general. It would be well to remember where all this bluff-and-bluster attributed to Saina is really coming from...

It's no secret that many of the papers/media in India love to sensationalize headlines as well as body of articles, especially when it concerns a person who is seen as a sort of poster girl/child. In a country that idolizes sports achievements and especially Gold medals, Saina is not very far away from achieving cult status among millions of followers who only care for what she symbolises. The pressure to maintain a "confident" and "aggressive" posture can often trap a person into translating this into some very unfortunate comments. Saina is probably led by her agents and media managers into believing that such statements are the correct way to go about things. If however, our members would take the trouble to listen to and read some of the earlier interviews, they would quickly realise that the girl herself is very level-headed and thoughtful, and not given to rash or unjustified assessments. The undue influence and demands of media, sponsors, politicians and others can make a young person do (and say) funny things.

The Indian public just love to place their successful sports persons on pedestals, and then tear them to bits when their performances are less than perfect. Sadly, our own (more enlightened) members often indulge in this as well. The sports persons in turn are often affected by this phenomenon.

And yet, like any other youngster, they are also just in the process of growing up, finding themselves. Maybe we should allow them that luxury that we take for granted in our anonymity.

Page 41 of 83 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast