User Tag List

Page 42 of 83 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Saina Nehwal

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The holy grail is the Olympic gold: Saina Nehwal

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tournaments/london-olympics/Olympics-on-Saina-Nehwals-mind/articleshow/12616635.cms

As for the above controversy I dont want to mention it but If I am right,I think it's a mental game from Gopichand who wanted Saina to prepare against the chinese...he is doing some ridiculous stuffs to improve the mental strength of the players...And by the way I don't think she speaks what is in her mind in the press conferences....There was a controversy that errupted before commonwealth games,
    when she said the preparations are shabby ...the media went ablast and Saina had to do another interview again in 1 hour time to apologise ...so after that I think gopichand tells her what to do in those big press conferences

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    True! I kinda agree with your sentiments.

I also wonder sometimes at the knee-jerk reaction and clearly partisan views of some of our own members, who don't seem to be helping the cause of the game in general. It would be well to remember where all this bluff-and-bluster attributed to Saina is really coming from...

It's no secret that many of the papers/media in India love to sensationalize headlines as well as body of articles, especially when it concerns a person who is seen as a sort of poster girl/child. In a country that idolizes sports achievements and especially Gold medals, Saina is not very far away from achieving cult status among millions of followers who only care for what she symbolises. The pressure to maintain a "confident" and "aggressive" posture can often trap a person into translating this into some very unfortunate comments. Saina is probably led by her agents and media managers into believing that such statements are the correct way to go about things. If however, our members would take the trouble to listen to and read some of the earlier interviews, they would quickly realise that the girl herself is very level-headed and thoughtful, and not given to rash or unjustified assessments. The undue influence and demands of media, sponsors, politicians and others can make a young person do (and say) funny things.

The Indian public just love to place their successful sports persons on pedestals, and then tear them to bits when their performances are less than perfect. Sadly, our own (more enlightened) members often indulge in this as well. The sports persons in turn are often affected by this phenomenon.

And yet, like any other youngster, they are also just in the process of growing up, finding themselves. Maybe we should allow them that luxury that we take for granted in our anonymity.
    Beautifully said! You echoed my sentiments perfectly. In fact I did surmise as much in one of my earlier posts in this thread. In any case, I wish her all the best. May she bring glory to the nation which knows of only one sport i.e. Cricket!

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Will this maiden mint gold in badminton?
    SPORTSTAR
    VOL.35 :: NO.16 :: Apr. 19, 2012

http://www.sportstaronnet.com/storie...9502000400.htm

Excerpts:

Among the Indian medal aspirants, Saina Nehwal's chances appear very bright. Currently ranked fifth in the world, Saina is the strongest non-Chinese woman badminton player in the game today. Already Saina is being seen as the one capable of preventing a possible Chinese medal sweep in the ladies singles.

Though five of the top six women in the world are Chinese, Saina will have to deal with only two of them since the Olympic qualification rules allow a maximum of three entries from a nation (barring the host), that too, if the country holds the top-four world ranking spots, as China does.

Barring one of these Chinese players, Saina does not enjoy a favourable head-to-head record against the rest. In fact, Saina is yet to beat the World number one Wang Yihan in five meetings.

...As part of her preparations, Saina has lost five kilograms to improve her speed. “I lost weight the right way. I was on a good protein diet for a month. Initially, it was difficult but I got used to it in two-three weeks. After that, I ate well and I've not put on any weight. I am feeling good.”

...“It will be tough in the Asian championship and the India Open. Let's see how better I do in these events. Thereafter, we have three months (for the Games). Luckily, the two tournaments in June will help me test my strokes and my fitness level. I will also learn from my mistakes. The last month before the Games will be very important.”

...“For us, (non-Chinese), it becomes difficult. Against us, everyone wants to fight and not give up. I being the only one from my country, there is a lot of pressure. That also plays on the mind. If only two or three Chinese play in a tournament, you can see on their faces. They become so nervous. Sometimes, they are so tense, that they don't even reach the final.”

At the same time, Saina acknowledges the Chinese for their planned approach. “They have produced so many good players. They have 3000 kids playing badminton. The game has become very popular in China and they have a good level. Again that has to do with the number of Olympic and World champions who have turned to coaching. We only have one coach (Gopi Chand) who was an All-England champion. We have many former players who are now coaches, but have not learnt many things.”

Looking ahead, Saina knows she needs to solve the ‘riddle' called Wang Yihan at least once before the Olympics. “When I last played Wang Yihan in the Super Series Final in December, I had just started improving (after a lean spell of about four months). Since then, I have beaten some of the other Chinese girls. I am sure over the next four tournaments, I will get to play her and beat her.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fifth seeded Indian refuses to take even non-Chinese opponents lightly and insists she faces a tough first round against Japanese youngster
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/12697329.cms
    the above article shows that she is not taking the non chinese opponents lightly and it is just our interpretation that she takes the non chinese lightly

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing to mention about these articles - were the interviews in english, or another language than translated to english. Either way somethings can be lost in translation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default wow

...As part of her preparations, Saina has lost five kilograms to improve her speed.
    She's lost 5kg? That's almost a stone, that's gotta be around 10% of her bodyweight.

I doubt she had much fat on her to begin with so I guess she's shed a lot of muscle mass. From the little I've seen of her that's probably not a bad thing as she did seem a fraction muscley and seemed to lack a little 'springyness' .

To make such a big change is courageous so I really really hope it works out for her.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think she says what she is told to say by her agents and managers as many of her statements are contrasting. Sometimes she says she can beat anyone sometimes she says every player is difficult to beat sometimes she says a particular player is not tough to beat.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xiao Jia Chen  -  Saina Nehwal [5] 21-13*21-16

poor LYB, must be scared his pants off now.

how can he sleep!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I keep practicing because sometimes I forget my strokes: Saina

Saina Nehwal said she is desperate to clinch the India Open as it is the only Super Series title she can claim on home turf. (AP Photo)
    PTI | Apr 23, 2012, 04.22PM IST

NEW DELHI: Saina Nehwal is sweating it out a bit more in practice ahead of the Yonex Sunrise India Open because the ace Indian shuttler says she sometimes forgets her strokes.

"I forget the strokes sometimes and so I have to keep practicing them. Unfortunately I am not very good with the wrist like many other talented players so I have to train harder," said the two-time Indonesian Open champion, who was sharpening her strokes under the watchful eyes of mentor and national coach Pullela Gopichand at the Siri Fort Complex on Monday.

Saina said she is desperate to clinch the India Open as it is the only Super Series title she can claim on home turf and winning here would help her get in the groove for the London Olympics in July.

Already assured of an Olympic berth, Saina is back at the venue where she had won the Commonwealth Games gold medal in 2010 and the Indian said she is confident of doing well in the tournament which starts with the qualifiers on Tuesday.

"India open is a special tournament. It is the same venue where I had won the Commonwealth Games gold and have good memories and I want to win a Super Series here. It is a very important tournament for me and I am confident of doing well here," Saina told reporters after a gruelling two-hour practice session on Monday.

"It would be tough because many top players playing here will also be playing in Olympics and I want to perform well here so that I can do well at the next two tournaments in Indonesia and Singapore before the Olympics," she added.

Asked about the draw, Saina said: "It is a good draw, Tine Baun is there in the quarters. Even the Chinese I had lost against in ABC will also play in the qualifiers here but I am confident."

The 22-year-old said she has been playing well since December last year and the Chinese are scared of her now.

"Last year, I lost in the first round. I'd taken a month's rest after my ankle injury and couldn't recover in time. But right now, I am in good form, I am playing well and there is nothing to change in my game," she said.

"I lost to Chen (Xiao Jia) in ABC but that was because I was not ready for her and also some line calls went against me. She played really well and have been defeating top players consistently but she didn't play in the Super Series but this time, I realised she is a good player.

"But I've been playing well since last six months and except for 3-4 Chinese, I have defeated the rest regularly. They are scared to play against me. However, to beat those top players, I need to train more. I've got enough time and Gopi Sir (Pullela Gopichand) has something in his mind regarding the training," she added.

Talking about the Chinese, Saina said: "If China has 6-7 players in a tournament, they become confident but for other countries it is just one player, so it is tough.

"I beat Shixian Wang consistently. I've played against Yihan Wang in January last and don't know how her game is now. Xuerui Li too is an attacking player and is in good form. She won the ABC last week. I will find out how much I have improved when I come across them."

Saina said she has to tread her path carefully and come up with some strategy to stay ahead of the Chinese during Indonesia and Singapore.

"China has so many in support staff. All their coaches are winners of some Super Series or Olympic medallist or All England champions and so they come with a new strategy everytime they play me and I have to find out a new strategy to be a step ahead of them," she said.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post

Saina Nehwal said she is desperate to clinch the India Open as it is the only Super Series title she can claim on home turf. (AP Photo)
    PTI | Apr 23, 2012, 04.22PM IST

NEW DELHI: Saina Nehwal is sweating it out a bit more in practice ahead of the Yonex Sunrise India Open because the ace Indian shuttler says she sometimes forgets her strokes.

"Last year, I lost in the first round. I'd taken a month's rest after my ankle injury and couldn't recover in time. But right now, I am in good form, I am playing well and there is nothing to change in my game," she said.

"I lost to Chen (Xiao Jia) in ABC but that was because I was not ready for her and also some line calls went against me. She played really well and have been defeating top players consistently but she didn't play in the Super Series but this time, I realised she is a good player.

congratulations, only lost in the second round this time.
    great improvement, you're really going places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant wait what she has to say to the media about her defeat..More excuses or whining this time about Bae Younjoo's oncourt tactics..

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as a guess;

" Ï'm having a bad day and lost to a better player and well deserved winner. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Saina's talke may sounds arrogant to people from East Asian countries but could be

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    as a guess;

" Ï'm having a bad day and lost to a better player and well deserved winner. "
    acceptable in other countries. It may just show her confidence. Anyway Chinese players do not understand English so what her said in media does not affect Chinese players.
    Last edited by laonong; 04-26-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Saina bows out of Indian Open
    Friday 27th April 2012
    By Shrikant Shankar

http://www.espnstar.com/other-sports...f-Indian-Open/

Excerpts:

Saina Nehwal cut a disappointing figure as she lost to South Korea’s Youn Joo Bae, 21-19 21-10 in the second round of the Indian Open Super Series badminton championships on Thursday. Saina, along with the gathered Indian crowd, was stunned by the quick counter-attacking game of Youn Bae.

Saina was clearly upset as she met the media after the match. “My game wasn’t good today (Thursday). I did not play well,” said Saina as she left in a huff at the Siri Fort Sports Complex on Thursday. This follows last year’s disappointment as she bowed out in the first round in 2011.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

India Open shocker: Saina capitulates in quick time
    Apr 26 2012
    Dev Sukumar

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/04/2...in-quick-time/

World No.5 Saina Nehwal was left speechless and in tears at her own inexplicable capitulation in the second round of the India Open Superseries – a result that left the large crowd stunned and the event bereft of its biggest draw.

Nehwal, aiming to reclaim the India Open that she won in 2010 and seeking another big title win in the run-up to the Olympics, was stumped as much by her opponent Bae Youn Joo as by her own inability to overcome the loss of the first game. Saina fell 21-19 21-10.

Saina’s loss spoilt what was otherwise a dream day for India, with compatriots PV SIndhu, P Kashyap, and the doubles teams of Rupesh-Sanave and Jwala-Ashwini entering the third round.

The world No.5 looked in daunting touch early on in the game as she used her heavy smashes to force Bae on the defensive. For much of the game, Saina looked in control, and at 14-10, seemed to have a healthy lead, but a few errors began creeping in from time to time, and that allowed Bae to stay within striking distance. The Korean too played some delectable shots, using her left-handedness to great advantage. Saina had the advantage at 18-16, but overplayed some shots and suddenly the Korean had gone a game up.

Saina has fought back from such situations earlier, but this was a different day. She seemed to go completely blank in the second game. What made it strange was the lack of a fight, and that was so uncharacteristic of what we’ve come to see of Saina.

“I have nothing to say, sorry,” said the tearful 23-year-old, no doubt utterly destroyed by the prospect of going out so early in front of her home crowd.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably its a tact to avoid playing any of the Chinese before the Olympics. It would be interesting to see how PV Sindhu deals with her next Chinese opponent.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

India Open shocker: Saina capitulates in quick time
    Apr 26 2012
    Dev Sukumar

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/04/2...in-quick-time/

“I have nothing to say, sorry,” said the tearful 23-year-old, no doubt utterly destroyed by the prospect of going out so early in front of her home crowd.
    Cheer up Saina; There is another day, for another match.

Page 42 of 83 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast