User Tag List

Page 49 of 83 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 817 to 833 of 1397

Thread: Saina Nehwal

  1. #817
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is no smoke without fire. She has obviously said or stated something to trigger such complaints.

    Nevertheless, her words resemble what is beyond over-confidence.

    Performance counts but glamour is important: Saina Nehwal

    NEW DELHI: On Sunday, ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal played tough and hard, changed her strategies and manoeuvres to clinch the Thailand Open title, giving India another reason to smile and celebrate. Her win comes close on the heels of Sania Mirza and Mahesh Bhupathi's victory at the French Open. "I'm very happy with this title," she says. This win comes as a boost ahead of the Olympic Games. "Olympics training will begin only later. My immediate focus is to win the Indonesia Open next week," she adds.
    Sunday's match was a tough one, the shuttler admits. "My Thai opponent (Ratchanok Inthanon) had very good strategy and she was very alert and aggressive. She played some good shots and I got into the rhythm very late. I did get better when I was 17-19, but then I made a small mistake which cost me the first game," she analyses. In the second game, the tide turned in the favour of the top-seeded Indian. "I got my confidence back. I decided to play longer rallies and that worked well. I slowed down the game because Ratchanok was very good with the fast shots," she shares.



    She was trending on social networking sites after her victory, but the shuttler seemed unaware of the congratulatory tweets and messages. "It's nice to know that there's so much support back home. I spoke to my parents first thing after the match. My father has been my source of support and strength. Even my coach P Gopichand has worked very hard," she says, adding, "He is also planning a good training programme for the Olympics."
    In a tournament, every minute aspect makes a difference and impact — from the strategy to a player's fitness. "We need good support in terms of physiotherapists, analysts, etc. In badminton, things are improving and we have a great physiotherapist and analyst with us," Saina says.
    Lately, the focus in sports has gone beyond just cricket. "It's obviously not as much as cricket, but yes, all sports are doing well now. Badminton has grown in the last five-six years. There is support from sponsors as well as the government. Because of the government support, we are able to play every tournament," she adds.
    Sports, be it cricket, badminton or tennis, can't stay away from glamour. The shuttler agrees. "Performance counts but glamour is as important. People watch a sport also because they like a particular player. Especially in India, if a sportsperson looks good, he or she easily gets a lot of ads and media coverage," she says. "So many sports people don't get recognized because they don't look good. That is sad and should change. I don't take care of myself, but I thank God that I'm blessed with good looks. Now with the Olympics coming up, it's great to see equal coverage being given to all the participating Indian sportspersons," she adds.





  2. #818
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,945
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyrusTheGreat View Post
    .... she says. "So many sports people don't get recognized because they don't look good. That is sad and should change. I don't take care of myself, but I thank God that I'm blessed with good looks. ....
    seriously she said that??? erm.... i won't say much more than...

    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

  3. #819
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    hehehe..:P
    Posts
    924
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    can I get the link of the article you posted above.....

  4. #820
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rogerv2 View Post
    She is talking in the context of the tournament. When she says her opponents are not tough people complain, when she says the opposite people also complain ....
    When she said LXR is not tough but many people consider LXR is very tought even the world number 1 WYH lost to her twice in the final. In face Saina did not say her opponent in Thailand open is tough directly.

    After watching the vedio I think she may never beat LXR because of her physical ability. Just like LD vs LCW and LD vs BCL
    Last edited by laonong; 06-12-2012 at 08:17 PM.

  5. #821
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laonong View Post
    When she said LXR is not tough but many people consider LXR is very tought even the world number 1 WYH lost to her twice in the final. In face Saina did not say her opponent in Thailand open is tough directly.

    After watching the vedio I think she may never beat LXR because of her physical ability. Just like LD vs LCW and LD vs BCL
    She deserves the whacking for saying LXR is not tough but not for what she said about her Thai Open opponents.

    Everyone is beatable, just have to find the weakness and a good strategy to counter them. On paper though LXR has the advantage, Saina has to be excellent to beat her, anything below that and it is a forgone conclusion.

  6. #822
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    seriously she said that??? erm.... i won't say much more than...

    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
    Saina needs training in modesty

  7. #823
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,876
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    seriously she said that??? erm.... i won't say much more than...

    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
    Her smile is great. But when she frowns, hm, not so good.

  8. #824
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,669
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by depleter View Post
    can I get the link of the article you posted above.....
    http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...indonesia-open

  9. #825
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,669
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    seriously she said that??? erm.... i won't say much more than...

    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
    but if the entire paragrah were to be read in context, it might be clear that she is not being vain. On the contrary, she is stating a fact that too much attention is given by the Indian media to the glamour angle, and that is sometimes becomes necessary to use this to promote the game.

    I'd like to reiterate a couple of points here because it is very easy to misinterpret a person's words especially those from a culture that is different or alien to what we have been brought up in.

    English is a second language for Saina and most other players.
    The Indian media have a way with inflating and sensationalising their reports.
    Saina may want to convey a certain feel, but this may only be clearly understood if one could hear the inflections and pauses. When reported in print, it could carry a subtly altered flavour.

    Alll of the above and more has been said before by many people, but those who want to run down a person, will find a way to do it.

    I am not suggesting Saina is an angel; she is probably just like any other girl of her age, full of desires, doubts, anger, sadness, elation etc. The times in her country expect that she speak her mind. I expect her to make a mess of it at times. It is also apparent that she is doing a lot of it with the clear understanding that it will help promote the game in her country, and that is something that is formost on the minds of almost all the young breed of badminton players from India, today. And that is certainly not a bad thing! And she isn't going to stop just out of fear that some people around the world will take umbrage to a sentence she spoke, or the way it was phrased. And that in the long run, is good for the game.

  10. #826
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    but if the entire paragrah were to be read in context, it might be clear that she is not being vain. On the contrary, she is stating a fact that too much attention is given by the Indian media to the glamour angle, and that is sometimes becomes necessary to use this to promote the game.

    I'd like to reiterate a couple of points here because it is very easy to misinterpret a person's words especially those from a culture that is different or alien to what we have been brought up in.

    English is a second language for Saina and most other players.
    The Indian media have a way with inflating and sensationalising their reports.
    Saina may want to convey a certain feel, but this may only be clearly understood if one could hear the inflections and pauses. When reported in print, it could carry a subtly altered flavour.

    Alll of the above and more has been said before by many people, but those who want to run down a person, will find a way to do it.

    I am not suggesting Saina is an angel; she is probably just like any other girl of her age, full of desires, doubts, anger, sadness, elation etc. The times in her country expect that she speak her mind. I expect her to make a mess of it at times. It is also apparent that she is doing a lot of it with the clear understanding that it will help promote the game in her country, and that is something that is formost on the minds of almost all the young breed of badminton players from India, today. And that is certainly not a bad thing! And she isn't going to stop just out of fear that some people around the world will take umbrage to a sentence she spoke, or the way it was phrased. And that in the long run, is good for the game.
    Actually she is right about the glamour part as you said ... I would only have left out the part about her good looks
    Anyway we need people like her to spice things up. Cant imagine everyone being so straight and dull.

  11. #827
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What a superb match against WSX.
    Saina needs to relax during the critical period, it should have ended in 2 games.
    Hope she gets some good rubdown and sleep to recover for tomorrow's match.

  12. #828
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,739
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up 2012 Indonesia Open SSP: Saina Nehwal has arrived at the Semi-Finals

    Quote Originally Posted by rogerv2 View Post
    What a superb match against WSX.
    Saina needs to relax during the critical period, it should have ended in 2 games.
    Hope she gets some good rubdown and sleep to recover for tomorrow's match.
    .
    Agree... What a match to watch (97 minutes of a great battle).

    Saina is looking fitter at this tournament. She is also showing more determination to fight for every point.

    Wang Shixian, OTOH, doesn't look fit enough.
    .

  13. #829
    Regular Member nokh88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    8,501
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    Agree... What a match to watch (97 minutes of a great battle).
    Saina is looking fitter at this tournament. She is also showing more determination to fight for every point.
    Wang Shixian, OTOH, doesn't look fit enough.
    .
    Without a killer smash, she was made to play long rallies and was out of breath with body bent and tried to buy time between points.

  14. #830
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Saina is not beautiful .. Real pretty girl is Yihan Wang . I <3 YW

  15. #831
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,669
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Next up for Sain is SJH of Korea. Saina's h-h is 3-0 over SJH. Hopefully she can extend the record, and in straight games.

    Saina's run over the past few years at the IO has been exceptional; the huge crowds respond to here very positively (except of course, when she plays an INA player! ) and she has generally thrived at the Istora. This year should be no different hopefully, and she should be able to ease into the finals, on form. I did notice that her front-foot movement to the net has become very sharp in this tournament.

    Good luck, Saina!

  16. #832
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK / Belgium
    Posts
    550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Saina really wants this to be an easy match. Can't imagine she can beat the chinese if she's tired.

  17. #833
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The big difference is this match, Saina was relatively early to all the net drop shots. In the past she would be lunging like hell to retrieve the shots. She appears faster like some you already mentioned. All the best to her on her quest for the 4th Indonesian SS final in a row.

Page 49 of 83 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Saina Nehwal and Ranking
    By geebees90 in forum India Professional Players
    Replies: 12
    : 12-13-2010, 08:57 AM
  2. Tribute to Indian Star, Saina Nehwal
    By Loh in forum India Professional Players
    Replies: 9
    : 08-01-2009, 10:25 PM
  3. Saina Nehwal at the 2009 India Open
    By chris-ccc in forum India Open 2009
    Replies: 28
    : 03-27-2009, 11:47 PM
  4. Interview with Indian Rising Star and Phil Open Champion Saina Nehwal
    By vip_m in forum India Professional Players
    Replies: 1
    : 06-08-2006, 11:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •