User Tag List

Page 59 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 987 to 1,003 of 1397

Thread: Saina Nehwal

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Now it would seem that even the top Chinese players are underpaid ... But there are so many of them that will unlikely change much of their pay package.

Just wonder when will Sindhu enjoy such perks as Saina? Will she ever outdo SN?
    wonder what sport does take front stage in China....which sportstars enjoy most of the endorsement deals.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed a strange fact that the player who beat SN in WCs or OGs lose in the very next round....
    2008 OG- MKY bt SN in quarters and later in semis ZN bt MKY
    2009 WC- WL bt SN in quarters and in semis LL bt WL
    2010 WC- WSX bt SN in quarters and in semis WX bt WSX
    2011 WC- WX bt SN in quarters and in semis WYH bt WX
    2012 OG- WYH bt SN in semis and in fimals LX bt WYH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can somebody explain why her endorsement deal is from a marketing company rather than product companies.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Really? Even more than LD and LCW?

If this is true good for badminton in general for more young talents will be attracted to the game and raise the bar even higher.
    Not only that, but also a lot more money will be pumped in to badminton as a whole benefitting the sport and others in terms of endorsements as well. Since India has a huge population and once a sports person gains popularity with the Indian crowd then the corporates will start investing in them heavily and aggressively for Advertisements which is why the above deal occurred coz SN popularity soared sky high after the Bronze medal. Had she not won even the bronze we wouldnt have seen this today.

The prize money of tournaments held in India will also go up! I desparately hope the prize money for India SS appreciates coz until now it has been a laughing stock among SS and has been a hot topic.

Being the highest earning badminton player, I dont know if she earns more than LD or LCW but we can be certain that she is the highest earning among women.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fan888 View Post
    Can somebody explain why her endorsement deal is from a marketing company rather than product companies.
    Marketing company will take care of her endorsements, marketing activities and also does image management. They calculate a player's market value depending on that player's popularity among the public and her stature in the sport itself. Once they do that they try to break a deal with the player that they will bring a guaranteed number of endorsements from product companies with a said amount and she has to cut certain amount of commission to the marketing company from the procured endorsements.

This will help her in few ways, she doesnt have to worry about running around for sponsorships, no need to worry about making schedules herself, dont have to hassle around choosing from a list of endorsements as the marketing company make a portfolio of endorsements based on her image, preferences etc.... So its a win-win deal.

She already had this kind of arrangement for a few years now but the previous deal was not as huge. To put that in to perspective, the new deal is worth 40 crore rupees for 3 years which roughly translates to $7.5 million. So she would be earning more than $2 million/year just from this deal apart from the prize monies from the tournaments, government and private felicitations. Being born in a democratic and capitalist nation brings its own perks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rajat_remar View Post
    I've noticed a strange fact that the player who beat SN in WCs or OGs lose in the very next round....
    2008 OG- MKY bt SN in quarters and later in semis ZN bt MKY
    2009 WC- WL bt SN in quarters and in semis LL bt WL
    2010 WC- WSX bt SN in quarters and in semis WX bt WSX
    2011 WC- WX bt SN in quarters and in semis WYH bt WX
    2012 OG- WYH bt SN in semis and in fimals LX bt WYH
    2011 china master - WYH bt SN in quarters and in semis JYJ bt WYH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by depleter View Post
    wonder what sport does take front stage in China....which sportstars enjoy most of the endorsement deals.....

That's what makes China stand apart from the rest of the world. The Chinese motto is country comes before an individual. They believe in collective strength rather than individual. Which is why more often than not we use the term "Chinese" instead of the players' names and this part I hate the most. That's why China as a country takes the front stage in all the sports in China and in rest of the world.... Its not that Chinese sportspersons are not famous, they are famous but only among the people (fans and others alike) concerned with that particular sport. For example, you go to a Europian, American or for that matter Indian street corner and ask a complete layman about Roger Federer and Lin Dan, what are the chances that that person would know about Federer and not about Lin Dan?

That's what makes China and its sports people unique. Some may agree, others may disagree but it they are unique in their own way....
    Last edited by rahuldarga; 09-22-2012 at 02:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rahuldarga View Post
    That's what makes China stand apart from the rest of the world. The Chinese motto is country comes before an individual. They believe in collective strength rather than individual. Which is why more often than not we use the term "Chinese" instead of the players' names and this part I hate the most. That's why China as a country takes the front stage in all the sports in China and in rest of the world.... Its not that Chinese sportspersons are not famous, they are famous but only among the people (fans and others alike) concerned with that particular sport. For example, you go to a Europian, American or for that matter Indian street corner and ask a complete layman about Roger Federer and Lin Dan, what are the chances that that person would know about Federer and not about Lin Dan?

That's what makes China and its sports people unique. Some may agree, others may disagree but it they are unique in their own way....
    Federer is not a good example for your argument of different sports system. Tennis is much more popular thank badminton outside of China. If you ask who is federer in china, you won't find many people know him. Even michale jordan. China's sport systme is not unique. It's copied from former soviet union.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Rusty Saina Nehwal may find going tough in Denmark Open
    M Ratnakar, TNN | Oct 16, 2012

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/16829171.cms

Excerpts:

...With her left knee not 100 per cent fit and having lost precious practice time due to the dozen-odd functions and felicitations across the country, a travel-weary Saina may not fare well, after all.

...Even if she rides on her experience and clears the first two rounds, the Indian may not get past the formidable Chinese brigade led by Olympic gold medallist Li Xuerui and world champion Wang Yihan. "I am good now. I have practiced well. But the draw in both the tournaments (Denmark and France) is very tough. I want to get into good rhythm as soon as possible," said Saina, who will be the top seed at the French Open next week.

Chief coach Pullela Gopichand, who is not accompanying Saina, said that the key would be the first match against Bae.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Saina Nehwal plans badminton academy in Bangalore
    October 10, 2012
    PTI

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/chann...-bangalore-953

Excerpts:

...The world No 4 shuttler said she is in discussion with real estate firm Commune India and sports company Target Games Facilities for such a venture.

..."In future, I also hope to support badminton in a big way in Bangalore and hope youngsters get more motivated and do well," she said.

"I feel if I can do it, everyone of us can also do it," she concluded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...With her left knee not 100 per cent fit and having lost precious practice time due to the dozen-odd functions and felicitations across the country, a travel-weary Saina may not fare well, after all.
    Chief coach Pullela Gopichand, who is not accompanying Saina, said that the key would be the first match against Bae.
    hmmm let's see - she hasn't played any match since London, looks like she's been too busy with the 'being a celebrity' part and even Gopichand is not available (maybe due to the big share he got?)

We may be witnessing the beginning of her decline.
    I also predict her bad performance in this upcoming series.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

many players have not played since Olympics whether they have won the medal or not.
    Saina must play with all her patience with player like Bae, to beat her.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see her win against Bae (against whom she usually struggle).
    Lets see how far she go in this tournament.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rajat_remar View Post
    Nice to see her win against Bae (against whom she usually struggle).
    Lets see how far she go in this tournament.
    yup,but she has a tough draw ahead with mitani in next round and then tine in quarters and then yihan in semis...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She has never won against Yihan. But she defeated Li X. And Li X defeats Yihan these days. But Saina is not able to defeat Yihan.
    I think she will make into the semis. She seemed to be in good form today. Cant say whether she will get into the final though.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

‘It’s important to popularize the game’- Saina Nehwal

http://www.sportsnewsnow.co.uk/its-i...-saina-nehwal/

Excerpts:

Saina Nehwal’s first match after the Olympic bronze medal playoff turned out to be easier than expected. The Indian never looked troubled against world No.12 Bae Yeon Ju, who beat her the last time they met, at the India Open.

Saina talks to Dev S Sukumar in Odense, Denmark:

"As for my condition, I don’t feel 100 per cent because of (right) knee pain. It is normal pain that we players have.
    ...It was a good match, overall I got my confidence back, after two months of break … tomorrow again, against Japan, it will not be an easy one. I have to be strong, again the same way, lot of rallies, and I have to be alert.

"...we play a sport that’s not as popular as cricket. So after the Olympics, we need to celebrate a bit. I know people will say, why do you do this and that, but it is important to popularize the game. Otherwise it will be the same, we will be struggling to win, but there will be nothing in the sport.

"Has she? (Tine Baun retired) Oh… she was a great player. She beat me in the semifinals of the All England in 2010, and she was really strong that time. There will be a vacuum in Denmark. Juliane Schenk is the one European who’s strong. But Europe needs to improve a lot. There’s nobody from Denmark. Even in Germany, there’s no one after Schenk. It will be a lot of Asia versus Asia now."

Page 59 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast