Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saina fan

saina fan Regular Member

Any of u who r supprters or fans of saina sign in here and post, results/pics/any comments, regarding saina here:) .
    P.s does anyone know any links where i can watch saina's matches in the indonesia open..

2. zia.ufrida

zia.ufrida Regular Member

poor... Saina has out from Indonesia Open in Qual round. She lost to Indonesian young girl Yuan Kartika 17:21; 21:23

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Too bad she lost. Saina was a fine young lady. Manage to talk to her few times during the PO. It was tough for her playing hard games. I'm not suprised she lost. She need to improved on her conditioning. Anyway she is still young.. i'm sure we will see more of her in the future wining titles.

4. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

It is tough to back up for another tournament only a few days after --- she is probably still basking in her glory in the Philippines Open.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Philippines Open, Manila 24-28 May 2006

View attachment 20060

I am very happy for Saina Nehwal. I watched her played well at the Commonwealth Games, Melbourne just weeks ago. I told Saina, herself, that she will one day be a World Singles Champion. But I didn't think she believed me. Saina is only 16.

Cheers... chris@ccc

#5 chris-ccc, May 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2007
  6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Tragically, I think there are probably a few 16-year-olds in China who may be able to beat her even now. It will be interesting to watch the coming World Junior Championships.

7. saina fan

saina fan Regular Member

Thanx Chris and zia.Chris, im sureshe will become a world singles champion:D
    bUt i was certainly not expecting her to go out in qualifying,im sure it is because of fatigue, she will do much better in the next tournament.Zia thanx for the score update.:)

8. saina fan

saina fan Regular Member

Thanx Chris and zia.Chris, im sure she will become a world singles champion:D
    but i was certainly not expecting her to go out in qualifying,im sure it is because of fatigue, she will do much better in the next tournament.Zia thanx for the score update.:)

9. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I was able to watch the finals of the Philippine Open in the Philsports Arena. :D My friends and I (and probably most of the audience) liked how Saina Nehwal played. I can say that most of us became instant fans of her. I hope she'll continue her ascent in the WS ranking. :D

Her style reminds me a little of Susi Susanti's style of playing. :D

10. saina fan

saina fan Regular Member

good to see many fans of saina:D

11. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Move over Sania, Saina is here

P Revathi
    CNN-IBN

[​IMG]

UNIQUE ACHIEVEMENT: Saina Nehwal is the first Indian to win a 4-star badminton tournament.

WATCH VIDEO

http://static.ibnlive.com/data/videos/saina_nehwal.wmv

There is a new teenage sporting sensation in Indian sports. Move over Sania Mirza as now it is the turn of another Hyderabadi girl to make the headlines.

Saina Nehwal has became the first Indian woman to win a 4-star badminton tournament and her parents Usha and Harvir Singh Nehwal are on cloud nine.

After all their 16-year-old daughter has done what no Indian has done till now.

Saina's win in the Philippines Open saw her parents, both of whom are former badminton players, celebrating.

And now they proudly show off the medals and trophies that their daughter has won till date.

"Saina was was a very different kind of child. At the age of seven-eight months we were worried about her because she was very serious and would never smile. One day, I took her to the badminton court and when she saw a game, she started laughing," her father Harivir Singh says.

Saina's talent was noticed when she was just nine and former all England champion P Gopichand took her under his wing when she was 13.

"I think her achievement is phenomenal because no Indian woman has done it so far. Also to do so when she is just 16 is great. She has got many tournaments to play in future. It is remarkable not only for her but also for Indian badminton," Gopichand says.

Saina's game is simple as she relies on power to subdue her opponents.

It was on display at the 2006 Commonwealth Games when she was part of the team which won the team bronze.

And now her parents want her to go for the biggest prize of them all.

"Determination accha hai uska. Mehnati bhi hai. Woh accha Olympian banegi aur jeetegi (She is very determined and works hard. I want her to win a medal in the Olympics)," her mother Usha Nehwal adds.

At 16 Saina's best is yet to come. She celebrated her birthday just 10 days back and her parents could not have asked for a better gift from her.

12. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

For all Saina's fans, it is good that you are singing her song. I
    However, I think it is still early days. To expect her to beat top Chinese players would be very hard. This could be her only win for a long while.

Just on that last game with Julia Wong of Malaysia in the Philippines Open, I think Julia could have won if she had attacked Saina more. To be fair, I think Julia should get some accolades too. Well done Julia for reaching the final.

13. saina fan

saina fan Regular Member

"I am shocked and still don't know how this happened," said not Saina after the Philippines Open, but Xu Huaiwen, world number four, after she was defeated by Saina. "This kid will be on the top in a year," proclaimed the disappointed yet impressed Xu after the game.

This is what Xu said after her loss in the philippine open.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Saina Newhal Vs Wang Lin

Hi hcyong,

Yes, you are correct. But so far I can find two, namely, India's Saina Newhal and China's Wang Lin, gifted and talented. It will now depend on how hard they train for the coming World Junior Championships.

Perhaps, they will meet each other at the Finals.

Cheers... chris@ccc

15. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I hope more sponsors will support her now that her talent is being recognized. :)

One of the things that endeared her to the audience was the fact that during the quarter and semi finals, she was wearing a shirt with her name in black pen ink written on strips of masking tape stuck on the back of her shirt. That's in contrast to the well funded japanese team with beautifully matching uniforms.

I hope she'll be invited to play in this year's MVP Cup. :D

16. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

The Nehwal Effect!

Your sentiments could not have been at a better time, and going to first causes, Nehwal's win.:p

Mittal Champions Trust (India) is essentially providing carte blanche full support to participate in any international tourneys. Also, Yonex-Sunrise is stepping in. So, invitations would only help to better baddy!

And as Gopi, the recently appointed Head Coach at Badminton India, is reported to have said earlier "If we are able to produce a stream of players who can perform well at the international level, media attention will come and it will make a big difference to the sports." Surely seems the recipe for popularity!:D The Indian Open 07 will be revived by India and hosted as a 5* Grand Prix event! Read about these here: click and here.

Then there is Project 2010 with a definite eye for medals at the Commonewealth Games, and India is also gearing up for WC09. More on this in this report.

#16 2wheels04, Jun 1, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  17. chikkubhai

chikkubhai Regular Member

Is is saina the hyderabadi again??????

Holy cow:eek: ,

Ive seen her play when i was in India, AP hyderabad when I was 18-21 and now im 24 and in usa seein all players whom I only saw hangin around Chetan Anand, jwala gutta and this saina...

just keep goin on saina u are one more feather to the cap and makin hyderabadis proud again.....

wish i could see her game or clip or anything , anyone any video of hers????

Regards
    Kris wt a k

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I was so impressed by Saina's game during the Melbourne Commonwealth Games in March that I posted a thread on "Tribute to Indian Star, Saina Nehwal", with many pictures of Saina in action. You may wish to view some of them.

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32237

19. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

yeah.. when i first saw her played in Philippines Open, i thoght, "wow, this young girl is just unbelievable!"

I would like to see her shine in the next tournaments...

20. saina fan

saina fan Regular Member

nice thread Loh- v well presented:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.