User Tag List

Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Saina Nehwal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Sirs
    I thank all the veiwers of the blog on Saina Nehwal.I thanks one and all,.At present she is practicing in Malayasia and will reurn to India on 28 th June.
    yours sincerely
    Harvir Singh
    father of saina nehwal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    Loh... It's great that 18-year-old Saina Nehwal gets to qualify to play at the Beijing Olympics 2008.

Hope that Saina will do well at the Super Series events in Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand, all scheduled for next month, leading up to the Olympics.

Yes I'm very glad that Saina will be competing at the highest stage in Beijing. I hope to see her there as well as in Singapore next month. Hope she has grown taller, stronger and fitter and armed with an arsenal of potent skills.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, she is currently training in Malaysia??
    under who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Training

Sir
    Exact name I do not know . It is the place where National team of Malayasia is getting training.
    Harvir
    Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    wow, she is currently training in Malaysia??
    under who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default training

I would also like to know as I am keen to know her progress

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Harvir Singh View Post
    Sir
    Exact name I do not know . It is the place where National team of Malayasia is getting training.
    Harvir

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Congrats Saina!!!

It has been a long time since i have write in to saina's thread... but i h've been constantly in touch wid saina's ongoings.I'm really overjoyed by the fact tat she and anup for the 1st time are going to represent the country at the olympic games its really a proud moment for us.I congratulate saina and her dad mr. Harvir nehwal for that.But as the frnd above sed qualifying is only the small part of the game.Main job is to prepare yourself to face the hard international competition.But i am sure saina will definitely tackle all these hurdles and certainly bring some more glory to the country....
    regards
    Rajiv

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi, welcome back, rajiv
    keep posting ya?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thanks but no thanks!

Thanks to you my dear,its my pleasure to b here...keep provinding your prime support to Saina and whole indian team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saina: The untold story
    Amanpreet Singh

What does it take to make a badminton star like Saina Nehwal? Ask her father Harvir Singh.

If Saina battles it out on the badminton court against the world’s best players, it has been no less a battle for her father to let her do the same.

Rarely a middle-class family can think of spending half of the monthly income on an eight-year-old child’s training without knowing if the gamble would pay off.

But Harvir Singh, a Scientist with the Directorate of Oilseeds Research Hyderabad, opted to go by the advice of PSS Nani Prasad Rao, the then badminton coach of the Sports Authority of Andhra Pradesh (SAAP), who saw immense potential in the girl.

“I met Nani Prasad Rao in December, 1998, at Lal Bahadur Stadium in Hyderabad. Saina was standing with a badminton racket on the court and he asked her to play. After watching her game, he said,‘She has the potential and if you want to train her, bring her to me as a summer trainee,” Harvir said.

The tough journey had started. Saina had to be taken to the stadium every day early in the morning and the distance from the house was 20 km.

“It was a challenge for both of us because I had to wake up early so that we could reach the stadium by 6 am. The training session used to last for about two hours.

After attending the training session, Saina had to attend school. This way I had to drive my scooter around 50 km daily as Saina, apart from attending rigorous practice sessions, had to concentrate on studies,” her father explained.

The impact of this tough routine began to show in the first week as Saina would often fall asleep on the back seat.

Sensing the danger, Saina’s mother started accompanying them on the two-wheeler. This continued for three months.

Ultimately, the family had to arrange a house near the stadium in 1999. This time the distance was about 7 km from the stadium.

But the travelling ordeal did not end here as Saina was asked to attend evening training sessions as well.

“With an extra training session, the travelling expenditure rose to Rs 150 per day. Added to this was the cost of training. Shuttles, racket, shoes, guttings and what not had to be purchased regularly. I spent around Rs 12,000 every month to keep her going those days,” Harvir said.

But how did the family manage such high-cost training? Saina’s father revealed that he had to sacrifice his savings.

“I started withdrawing money from my provident fund. Sometimes it was Rs 30,000 and other times it was nearly Rs 1 lakh. It happened more than five times when I had to shell out money from my PF savings due to Saina’s various requirements,” said Harvir.

He stated that the tight-rope walk continued till 2002 until Yonex Sunrise sports offered to sponsor Saina’s kit.

“It came as a big relief. Fortunately, she got BPCL support late in 2004. Ultimately, she was spotted by Mittal Sports Trust in December, 2005.

“But I had never disclosed to Saina my financial difficulties fearing that she might get disturbed knowing that her father was left with no savings for the future,” he said.

When asked if they got any help from the sports authorities, the answer said it all.

“Till 2003, she was getting Rs 600 per month from the Sports Authority of India (SAI). It was raised to Rs 2,500 in June, 2003. You can understand how I could have managed,” Harvir said.

Apart from the training cost, hefty telephone bills put extra financial burden on the family when Saina started touring foreign countries for events.

The byte-crazy media played a part too. Wherever she went, be it the Philippines or South Korea, her phone kept ringing.

“A major part of the prize money that Saina got from big competitions like the Philippines Open and World Junior Championship was utilised in paying her mobile bills, which were between Rs 40,000 and Rs 50,000 in the touring months,” he said.

But was the prize money enough when she began her career? “Saina was given just Rs 300 as prize money after winning the under-10 state level competition, held in Tirupati in 1999. The period between 1999-2004 was very trying for the family as we did not get any sponsor for her,” Harvir said.

It was not only the financial burden but the risk of lagging behind on the educational front which added to the pressure.

Saina had to skip examinations twice. She did not take her first year intermediate exams because of the Melbourne Commonwealth Games and later in May, she could not write supplementary exams as she was in the Philippines.

At present she is studying in the second year at Saint Ann’s College, Mehdipatnam Hyderabad. Ironically, the family, despite her big success at the international level, has not been able to celebrate much.

“She has never been to any party, any restaurant or cinema in the past seven years. When the electronic media personnel visited my home in May last year for shooting of a programme, I could not even offer them sweets. Do I need to explain why,” he asked. — PTI

The unstinted support of her family has helped Saina Nehwal emerge as a force to reckon with in world badminton. — PTI photo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Saina: The untold story

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post

Saina: The untold story
    Amanpreet Singh

What does it take to make a badminton star like Saina Nehwal? Ask her father Harvir Singh.

If Saina battles it out on the badminton court against the world’s best players, it has been no less a battle for her father to let her do the same.

Rarely a middle-class family can think of spending half of the monthly income on an eight-year-old child’s training without knowing if the gamble would pay off.

But Harvir Singh, a Scientist with the Directorate of Oilseeds Research Hyderabad, opted to go by the advice of PSS Nani Prasad Rao, the then badminton coach of the Sports Authority of Andhra Pradesh (SAAP), who saw immense potential in the girl.

The tough journey had started. Saina had to be taken to the stadium every day early in the morning and the distance from the house was 20 km.

But how did the family manage such high-cost training? Saina’s father revealed that he had to sacrifice his savings.

He stated that the tight-rope walk continued till 2002 until Yonex Sunrise sports offered to sponsor Saina’s kit.

“It came as a big relief. Fortunately, she got BPCL support late in 2004. Ultimately, she was spotted by Mittal Sports Trust in December, 2005."

“But I had never disclosed to Saina my financial difficulties fearing that she might get disturbed knowing that her father was left with no savings for the future,” he said.

“Till 2003, she was getting Rs 600 per month from the Sports Authority of India (SAI). It was raised to Rs 2,500 in June, 2003. You can understand how I could have managed,” Harvir said.

“A major part of the prize money that Saina got from big competitions like the Philippines Open and World Junior Championship was utilised in paying her mobile bills, which were between Rs 40,000 and Rs 50,000 in the touring months,” he said.

At present she is studying in the second year at Saint Ann’s College, Mehdipatnam Hyderabad. Ironically, the family, despite her big success at the international level, has not been able to celebrate much.

“She has never been to any party, any restaurant or cinema in the past seven years. When the electronic media personnel visited my home in May last year for shooting of a programme, I could not even offer them sweets. Do I need to explain why,” he asked. — PTI

cooler... Thank you for posting "Saina: The untold story".

Yes, there are always untold stories behind all our Badminton heroes. Much sacrifice is usually made in order to succeed.

It's great that Harvir Singh brought up Saina the way he did. Anyone who have met and spoken to Saina would know what I mean. It was a privilege for me to have met Saina.

We are happy that Saina did well in the last 3 tournaments just weeks ago, namely;
    Singapore Super Series 2008: Finishing as the last 4 participants
    Indonesia Super Series 2008: Finishing as the last 16 participants
    Thailand Open Grand Prix Gold 2008: Finishing as the last 8 participants

We wish that one day Saina would have time to read and post at Badminton Central like her father did.

Cheers... chris-ccc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hats off Saina... Make INDIA proud

Its heartening to see the rapid strides made by Saina at the global level and saddening at the same time to see the plight of parents who risk their entire life savings for their ward's future.

Hope the Government and media realise this and support Saina in her future endeavours.

Keep going Saina and make us all Indian's proud at Beijing olympics.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saina is planning to train Indonesia with some clubs....I do not know when she will decide as she needs more sparring partner.

Also a year ago, Gopichan just recruited another Indonesian coach as his assistant...Hadi Idris ( from Pelita club)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gearing Up for her first Olympics

Indo-Asian News Service
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 (Hyderabad)

Saina Nehwal is a precocious talent, but even she never thought that she could be face to face with her dream so soon in her fledgling international career.

Come August and the 18-year-old badminton player from Hyderabad will be in Beijing playing for the country at the Olympics.

Winning a medal playing in her first Olympics might be too much to expect from her, but anyone who has followed her game in the last two years would not hesitate to wager on her as a dark horse. Her amazing run-up to the Games will only tempt the punter to put his money on her.

At 18, she is well aware of the expectations and the accompanying pressure, but Saina does not appear in any sort of stress even though her life at this point of time revolves around her game and national coach Pullela Gopichand.

Saina has been undergoing extensive training at the Gachibowli Stadium here and nothing seem to escape Gopichand's keen eye and analytical mind. The former All England champion is quietly shaping up her talent.

"I will take Olympics as any other tournament. I have grown up dreaming of an Olympics medal and I can only feel the enormity of the situation when I get on to the court in Beijing. I will try my best not to take any pressure and play freely," Saina told IANS after a rigorous work-out.

"World's top players will be there and it will be a big occasion for me. It will not be easy for me to win a medal, but I will give my best shot. This is just my second year of my international career and I am really happy that I will be part of the Indian contingent in Beijing.

"It is also a big occasion for my family. I know that because my parents were club level players and to see their daughter in Olympics is a big thing. But my parents do not talk about it for fear of putting pressure on me," she added.

The fact that she cracked the top-20 of singles rankings this month has given her the belief that she could fight it out and has the ability to do so.

Her performance in the Singapore Open, where she became the first Indian women to reach the semi-final of a Super Series event, and quarter-final appearance in Thailand Open, placed her at World No 18.

"I am happy that I am peaking at the right time for Olympics. The results in the last two tournaments have been a big confidence booster. I played well against seeded players and it has given me the belief that I can take on the big ones."

"I gave a tough fight to Chinese top-seed Xie Xingfang. I was running neck and neck but at 16-all I made mistakes and that took the game away from me. I will have to hold my nerve at such critical moments."

When girls of her age might be freaking out, Saina is happy to have nothing but badminton on her mind.

Her day starts at 5 a.m and she reaches the stadium by 6 a.m for training with Gopichand. She leaves at 10.30 a.m and after some rest is back on the court at 3.30 p.m for the evening session.

"I am following this regimen for quite some time now. I hardly get time to do anything else. Once in a while, I go out to see a movie for relaxation. I am not missing out anything in life because at the moment my focus is only on badminton," Saina said.

She is a second-year commerce student at St. Ann's College, but hardly gets time to open her books.

"I hardly get time to go to my college. But the teachers and principal are very supportive and they give me the freedom to take my exams whenever I am prepared," she said.

Gopichand said if not in this Olymics, Saina is certainly destined for bigger things in a couple of years.

"She has the potential to win an Olympics medal. She has just started her career. She will play in at least two more Olympics. Give her some time and she has the talent to bring a medal. Last three months she has shown tremendous improvement."

"It depends on individuals as to how they soak the pressure in big events like Olympics. There will be ten other top-ranked girls playing more or less at the same level and much will depend on how well she plays on that particular day," Gopichand said.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Wishing ALL THE BEST to Saina at the Olympic Games, Beijing 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post

Indo-Asian News Service
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 (Hyderabad)

Saina Nehwal is a precocious talent, but even she never thought that she could be face to face with her dream so soon in her fledgling international career......

Loh... Thank you for the article.

Saina Nehwal is a precocious talent indeed.

Wishing ALL THE BEST to Saina at the Olympic Games, Beijing 2008.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she will have four olympic(if she play until 30 years old...)...oh...so good...the 1st indeed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she will make India proud of her

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Saina wants it tough in Beijing

Saina Nehwal is modest but has a positive mental attitude and this is very good for her future. She cherishes challenges, learns from them and trains hard to overcome her weaknesses and her opponents at the next opportunity.

The Indian Express
    Monday, July 21, 2008
    Hyderabad

A tough draw is the last thing an Olympic-bound athlete would look for but Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal says she does not fear being pitted against top-ranked rivals in Beijing as difficult matches only bring out the best in her.

Saina said she would happily take a tough draw against the likes of world number one Xie Xingfang of China and Tine Rasmussen of Denmark as it would give her an opportunity test herself against the best.

"Both of them are excellent players but I would like to fight it out with these two players. I don't get scared playing top players. I just love playing against such players. If I beat them its really good. It doesn't matter if I lose and would give a good fight in the next match," the 18-year-old said.

"They are not easy to beat. But I will do my best. I have to really work hard and need lot of stamina and I am doing it in that regard," she said.

"The thing is that they make the opponents run a lot in the court and basically I need to make them run and pick up all the schedules and be ready for the smash," she said.

After putting up a stupendous performance in the Asian circuit and reaching a career-best world ranking of 16, Saina is hoping to continue her fine form in Beijing.

"I am training extensively for the past three weeks. Im looking forward for the next two weeks on how well I train. I am quite fit and feeling great now. I am confident that I would play well and put up a good show," she said in Hyderabad.

Confident about her performance despite being pitted against top players from China and other countries, Saina said, "Playing against top 20 players of the world will be very tough. But I have previously won against top players and thus achieved 16th rank, that too being only for two-years in the circuit.

"I am quite confident that if I match their speed I can beat the top players including those from China. If I play my best, I can," she said.

"It's not impossible to beat them but I need to be fit like them," said Saina, the lone female shuttler representing India in Beijing. Anup Sridhar is the other player representing India in Badminton.

Saina said she does not feel any pressure going into the mega event as there are hardly any expectations from her.

"Expectations and pressure will always be there. But they (rivals) are seniors in their 20s and 30s and they will be under more pressure," she said.

Getting a medal at the mega event will be fulfilling a very big dream, Saina said, adding "As a child it was always my dream to participate in Olympics and win a gold medal."

Saina, who pulled off sensational wins against higher-ranked players at Singapore and Thailand this year, is presently undergoing training at former All England champion P Gopichand's academy at Hyderabad.

Her coach and mentor Gopichand says the 16th ranked player in the world has been playing really well.

"Olympics will be a good experience for her. We would be taking one match at a time," the seasoned player who will also be going to Beijing, said.

"My parents have been very supportive and they want me to train more harder," Saina said. She faces her first encounter on August 9.

Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 59 ... LastLast