aiming the smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jolunewbie, May 31, 2006.

1. jolunewbie

jolunewbie Regular Member

student
    well i have a problem aiming my smash i have already tried pointing my arm up etc but i still cant get accurate smashes:crying: :crying:

2. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Any smash is combination of strength and accuracy. In your practice sessions concentrate more on accuracy and use less strength. Then, gradually, increase strength as your accuracy improves.

Use a racket cover or something similar as a target

3. jolunewbie

student
    oh maybe i will try that but how do you aim do you look at the shuttle when hitting it or just look for a second then aim for the target

4. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Look at the shuttle and use your peripheral vision to check on your opponent/target.

I came across the same problem as you. I have a reasonable jump smash but it wasn't until I did the target exercise above that I realised I couldn't aim it at all. I had to slow my smash right down to get the accuracy and then build it right up

5. olle_whitehead

olle_whitehead Regular Member

i knw this seem abit wierd to some people but i focus on the shuttle for the entire motion and i decide where i want to hit the shuttle then altar my racket head accordingly

for example low smash into the waist= racket head facing forwards and slightly down
    high smash into face= racket head slighly flatter
    cross court smash= racket facing downwards and slightly angled to the left/right

6. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

How do you aim?? Well you have to know where the shuttle is so you can hit it in the right time and position, and you have to know the location you want to hit it to and either see it or estimate how far it is from you. Then you have to get your racket face in that direction, this is even more important than what direction you swing it at. You can swing right and have ur racket face foward and the bird will still fly more forward. Also you got to make contact with the bird in the right place on the racket.

7. jolunewbie

student
    hey i have watched emms and robertson's video you know the guide to smashing.. i noticed something he has a very good follow through and i dont have it so maybe i will practice that

8. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    My accuracy is my main strength in my game, my jump smashes may not be the most powerful, but they hug the lines and make people dive to get them.

People may be inaccurate for anumber of reasons here are some:
    They hit it incorrectly (commom)
    They have an incorrect grip (commom)
    No co-ordination (uncommon in players)
    Bad positioning (commom in younger players and older club players)

Firstly, positioning, you need to make sure that if u stood perfectly still instead of playing the shot, the shuttle would hit you square on the head (this hugely improves accuracy and power - simple physics)

Next, hitting the shuttle, try to imagine you are throwing the racket head, if you have a coach, ask him/ her about this, if they can tell you about this, they are good, if they can't they shouldn't be qualified and are not conforming to badminton england regulations, lol.

Lastly, your grip, obviously, if you have your racket at an angle it won't go straint, either compensate by aiming off and slicing it or change the angle of your grip.

Hope that helps.