Glen Waverley Sat. 7:30-10:00pm Titan Badminton Club

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by ashley, Jun 1, 2006.

1. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    We are running a Saturday night social badminton with a competitive edge.

Cost per session is $8.00

The standard of players is B grade and above. However about a 1/4 of the players are beginners and each week there is a free 1 hour group coaching lesson to help beginners integrate with the better players.

For exact location details and updates of our club please visit :
    http://www.titanbadmintonclub.websyte.com.au/

Note : There is another thread with details of our club but the title had the wrong time.

2. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    By request from a member of our club, he inisted that we include an important detail: Supper 10:30pm-12:30am after badminton

Some people (eg. Possum) might only want to attend supper afterward.

3. gingera

gingera Regular Member

consultant
    where are you guys having supper?

4. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    Because everyone is hungry after playing 3.5 hrs of badminton and it is a very social atmosphere.

It gives everyone a chance to catch up with one another and for the club to announce any news.

Another reason is that it gives some people (eg/ Possum) a variation to their diet of KFC.

5. gingera

gingera Regular Member

consultant
    well... i am trying to find out where u guys are heading. I cant drive, so i can only join if you guys are having support really near where i stay. It is a hassle to take cab in melbourne suburb. you wait for ages for the cab :(

6. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    Hi Gingera,

Let me know what suburb you are in and I'm sure someone will be happy to give you a lift. Some of our players come from as far as Altona to play. I believe s few people gets a lift each week as well.

Send me a private message and I will see who can give you a lift. Don't take a taxi, it is quite expensive.

Ashley

7. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    Altona tripping

Yeah those people from Altona must be CRAZY for badminton :D

8. gingera

gingera Regular Member

consultant
    altona? issit that kinda far? i am staying in Glen waverley, somewhat near to the glen.

9. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    Hi Gingera,

You are staying only a few minutes from where we play. Just me the address on a private email and my wife & I will pick you up on the way there. We will of course drive you back home afterwards

Ashley

10. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    Hi Robbo77,

Where is the furtherest you have gone to play badminton?

I think the furtherest I have gone in Victoria is Kilsyth but I have played in Malaysia and Hanoi. Both experiences overseas was very memorable due to the conditions. The place in Malaysia was on one floor of an old shopping centre. In Hanoi we played in the Botanical Gardens (outdoors) with some of their state players. Surprisingly there was only a little breeze but the surface is hazardous.

11. Simon81

Simon81 Regular Member

Possum .. !!!!

Need fair bit of spank ..

Anyway, see you guys this sat

12. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    We usually have supper at either :

Star East Cafe
    Rock Kung
    Sofia's
    or some other agreed location around Glen Waverley

13. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    distance for badminton-sounds like a new thread to make

Well when I lived in Bendigo, I drove to Geelong once for a tournament! I also drove back from Melbourne one night to play in Bendigo tournament, bad idea:crying: driving 2 and a bit hours and playing straight away - your legs are still stiff!:eek:

When I went to China I was looking very hard for a place to play badminton, however we never seemed to get around to actually going to the courts grrrr

And on my honeymoon, I think I would have been KILLED if I had dared look for a badminton court whilst overseas then either hehe!:D

14. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    Cannot believe you are still online after playing badminton tonight. Did you go to La Porchetta with everyone else ? I went with the other group to Rock Kung.

We had a pretty good turn out tonight with 23 players. There were 3 new players from Singapore. It was interesting that they mentioned that there were no clubs such as ours in Singapore. The only way you can play socially is if you book a court yourself and ask friends to play.
    They seemed to enjoyed themselves tonight.

#14 ashley, Jun 3, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  15. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    Yeah mate, a good movie on, so watching that:)

AND keeping up with the latest BADMINTON news - Taufik is in the final against Bao Chun Lai in the final of the Indonesian Open.

AND John Moody is against Kidd in the Ballarat International tomorrow (or later this morning hehe!)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:rolleyes:

16. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    You mean that Brian Bosworth movie on 7 ?

I hope Taufik is back to his old self because Bao Chun Lai is pretty consistent. I think Bao Chun Lai should smash more when he plays.

I saw John Moody play at the Commonwealth games but I have never seen Nicholas Kidd play.

17. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    You guys whinge about driving to Glen Waverley from Altona? i know of two guys travelling sometime from geelong to play there ... i being one.

P.S dont pretend you all dont like KFC yourself, and you simon81, both yesterday and the previous saturday night after supper didnt you plead with me to take you to KFC, hmm remember or do you have selective memories :)
    ....and by after supper i mean after we had already eatten a large meal.

#17 vienb, Jun 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  18. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Hey ash
    You know that new shuttle brand (the white tube ones) we've been trying, last nights batch i thought we're pretty good, better then any epsilon, yonex or RSL i've every use. i had some intensive smashing games and it heldup well. Some of the new guys gave it possitive feed back as well.
    How tubes of them do you have?

19. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    I think I only have 14 tubes left. They are Victor brand (champion green No 3 model). Apparently they are the ones used in tournaments. It's funny you mentioned this as I tried 2 types last night. One with speed 76 (slower) and speed 77 (normal for our weather), most people liked the 77. The 76 speed people said they couldn't smash as hard but the rallies were much longer. I have only the 76 speed left but what I will do is bend the tip of 4 of the feathers inwards to increase the shuttle speed next week.

In regards to the longevity, I have played at a few different venues lately and our shuttles seem to last a lot longer than other places. I played in Flemmington last week and they have 3 courts (we have 4), they play for 3.5 hours (like us) and their standard is not dissimilar to us. They go through 5 tubes of epsilon yellow each session. We go through about 2 tubes per session! I do steam our shuttles a few days before so that the feathers are not as brittle. Have you noticed that the feathers of our shuttles do not break off as often.

20. gingera

gingera Regular Member

consultant
    That is quite an ingenious to do. How do you actually steam the shuttles? I would like to try that too!

I do steam our shuttles a few days before so that the feathers are not as brittle. Have you noticed that the feathers of our shuttles do not break off as often.