Post-Mortem On Malaysian Loss in INDO Open

Discussion in 'Indonesia Open 2006 / Philippine Open 2006' started by X Ball, Jun 2, 2006.

1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

What do you think ? Good or bad ?

For me, it is another inconsistent display. LCW has failed again. Doubles, ok with our young pair -- good experience.

If it wasn't Hafiz winning the Philippines Open earlier, I would probably call it bad days for Malaysian badminton ahead.:( :(

2. xijiayu

xijiayu Regular Member

I hate to say that they have never convinced me most of the time. LCW doesn't play well abroad and has not justified his world number 2 ranking. I am so dissappointed with his lost in IO. Our young doubles are not up to the top 10 standard. I dont see any potential in the other single players like YKB, LTS, JC and YK. My only hope now is to bring up young single players from junior team (which BAM will do) and train them into better players. Our problem in MS is that, we have no realiable MS now (even LCW and HH are inconsistent). China are miles ahead from us and Indo seem doing good with rising Simon. BAM should act quickily or we would not see any good MS playing for MAS for next 5-6 years.

3. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    BAM need to use more psychological approach. Nothing wrong with the players, just the mind. And it is the mind that determines the champion.

We haven't had players with champion mindset since Razif/Jalani Sidek. They had the correct mental approach, but lost out narrowly in technical ability to Li Yongbo/Tian Bingyi and Park Joo Bong/Kim Moon Soo.

4. Gaintkiller

Gaintkiller Regular Member

The failure this time might be a good sign for Malaysian player in the big tourney coming ahead. Failed in 1 or 2 tourney deosn't mean they are totally collapse. Believe that they will come back in a good shape and raise the Malaysia flag again. Probably in this year world championship......

5. sickgal

sickgal Regular Member

totally agree with u!!! i mean why should we to give such a conclusion when they failed to win the Thomas CUp or lose out completely in IO:rolleyes: .....its the nature of a game...either win or lose... when a player lost for eg LCW... i believed he had learned something though...perhaps IO is just another warm up match for him..;) i still think the big deal comes in M'sia Open as he gotta defended the title..:) and plus the fact that in his career he had never reach to final in IO...there should not be cries when he failed to do so..:p not much expectation for him as it would be in M'sia Open...in 2 weeks time..LCW...gam ba te!!! and also to the whole m'sia team...esp MD...hehe..

6. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    just incosistent :D

7. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

Maybe May'sia can blame the new scoring system. :crying: Who recommend the new scroing system, is it Punch Gunalan? Just kidding....:D

8. taufik-ist

it administrator
    yes PUCH GUNALAN is the one who insists to use 21 scoring system :D

9. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

Althought things seem real bad for men singles, but i think malaysia has delivered good men doubles...

I have always believe that chong ming/kean keat may be the next world number one men doubles if they continue they way they are... I see something in them :p probably a hidden star, to be revealed soon...

10. xijiayu

xijiayu Regular Member

We have some good MD pairs and I have no worry in MD department. My ultimate worry is from MS where you can find no one after LCW, MHH and KBH. If we want someone to challenge China, Indo and Denmark MS, I bet there are only LCW and MHH (though inconsistent), KBH is not up to standard to beat any top five Chinese players yet. Who else can we think of after these three players (with injured WCH)? LTS, JC, YKB and others currently in national team may even find it difficult to beat Indian and Vietnamese MS. I have mentioned several times in other threads that MAS need potential young players (17-19) urgently. They are now in Rashid's team and were once playing the same junior tournaments with CJ and GWJ from China. CJ is now top 10 in the world and I guess he will become top three within a year. He is like Lin Dan back in 2003. But at least, I am happy that BAM know this problem and will get two single players trained by Li Mao.

#10 xijiayu, Jun 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  11. sickgal

sickgal Regular Member

yeah right...:mad: and just wait and see when it comes to international tournaments besides IO.... see how far can the indonesian players go through.......:rolleyes: perhaps they're great at home as there is home crowd and definately the tournament in thomas cup had obviously shown it when their players were not playing at their soil.... would it be another i'nconsistent' as compare to IO when they sailed through to SF???;)

12. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I have been watching the matches where Mal team was playing in TC2006 over and over again and I am actually convinced that Mal players' skills are more superior than other teams (including China and Den ) and more fun to watch. Even though Mal team did not bring home the title, they did create an entertaining show with trick shots and elegant moves. This reminds me of the Brazil soccer team back in the 80s, no world cup title but its definitely the best team.

Here are weaknesses I observe ( BTW, I am just an amateur)

1. Too defensive. KBH, Hafiz, and LCW all have elegant moves that I think even better than LD, or PG. But, they were too defensive and too tense. Like a singer on stage, if the muscles are too tense, the voice is not beautiful. I also think this is the biggest weakness Mal team needs to work on.

2. Stamina. KBH and LCW were more aggressive in the first game and made fewer unforced errors. But after game 1, you could tell its obvious they were gasping all the time.

In short, Mal team needs to play aggressive style and rely more on attacks !

13. taufik-ist

it administrator
    LCW is pure attacking player, he relies on his smashes, if his smashes don't produce points, he will be in trouble.

14. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

You are right regarding the singles.Li Mao was in Kedah for the Sukma Games scouting for players from Rashid's squad.He wasn't too happy with their standard at all,according to interview in the chinese press.They lack speed and power.Fitness is also a major concern.Hope they will wake up and do something about it.Seeing young talents from countries like India and Vietnam should jolt them into actions.As for the doubles,hope they keep on improving.

15. sickgal

sickgal Regular Member

and yet of all the players that the person mentioned about the m'sia players... u only had ur view of LCW..u seemed focused too much of him though,,:p

16. hara^kazuko

I don't see many of lee chong wei's matches, but he always seems uncertain to me

17. taufik-ist

it administrator
    i just want non china player to be # 1, and LCW is the closest one,

the last non china who became # 1 player is taufik hidayat in 2001 :D

18. sickgal

sickgal Regular Member

what??did i see this correctly??? 2001????hey..come on..do u live on history???? its 5 years back from now...... if u would count on history....then better keep on stayin in the past.......

as i'd mentioned.... i mean now..there's still none indonesian player in MS in the top 5 from the IBF list...and were u refering to chinese players or players from china??dont tell me u didnt know that LCW is a m'sia player...:p

19. hara^kazuko

well... it's normal for someone to expect something competative on badminton courts...i don't mean they play boring games.. it's just that when we see our country on court, obviously ur emotions go high.. u gave them high expectations at that time... n the feeling of patriotism is strong at that moment... nothing wrong for giving high expectations n comments bout our national players.. for normal guys like us, we would only want our country to win.. the intention is simple enuff..

20. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

I think you have misunderstood taufik ist's statement. He just hopes that LCW could become the world no 1 player and puts an end to China's domination in the no. 1 ranking.