Muscles used the most in badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by accendo, Jun 2, 2006.

1. accendo

accendo Regular Member

Hey guys,
    i was wondering what muscles are used in particular for the strokes and jumps in badminton?
    what type of training could i use to improve them?
    would leg extensions on the thingy weight machine (sorry dont know that its called :p) improve your jumping height?

2. setaa

setaa Regular Member

for me, both thighs (particularly the left), abdomen, shoulder and lower arm muscles

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

For sports, it is much better to think in terms of movements, rather than individual muscles. Even if it were possible to truly move a muscle in isolation, it would be less efficient and effective than movements that use multiple muscles as the prime movers.

So instead of leg extensions, try doing squats or deadlifts. They'll give you a much better training effect.

4. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

qauds, calves, shoulder, wrist, finger, abs, biceps.

5. accendo

accendo Regular Member

kk thnx for you pro - opinion
    can u also describe the action of "squat" do you just bend you knees? or some other kind of technique?

6. stumblingfeet

The squat involves bending your knees as well as your hips to lower yourself down, make sure you go all the way down until your hamstrings touch your calves in order to strengthen the full range of motion. A couple things to make sure you do is to sit back (stick your butt out behind yourself) so your knees don't venture too far forward, and to keep your lower back arched so you don't but too much stress on your spine.

Once you get used to the movement, you can add weight - hold a bar over your head, on the front of your shoulders or on the back of your shoulders. The overhead and front squats are fantastic for developing your core strength, balance and flexibility, while the back squats allow for much heavier loading, so they'll help you get stronger.

7. accendo

accendo Regular Member

thnx much appreciated ^^

8. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Triceps/Biceps
    Wrists
    Calves/Quads for running and jumping
    ABS for bending and stretching
    Shoulders
    Back
    Chest

9. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    A good tip I learned is when doing squats, to instead of using machines and huge weights, use resistance bands.

Machines just aren't economical because you'll do it slowly and only a few reps.

Resistance bands simulate the needs of a badminton player much more. You will do many light reps quickly. Also this is one of the best excercises for developing a high jumpsmash. That's because it makes your movement much more explosive which is half of where you get your height from, not just muscle strength.

10. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Trained up all the muscle that produced movement on court!
    Particularly pay more attention to legs, abdominal and back muscles....
    those are hot spots for injuries...
    ;)

11. accendo

accendo Regular Member

okok thnx for suggestions ill try and see where i might be able to buy resistance bands, I've seen a few in some sport shops around my place but i don't think my parents will let me go buy them

12. PandaLord

PandaLord Regular Member

Student
    Eh wow thats almost like saying 'All muscle groups' already minus a few areas.

Can anyone tell me what biceps/triceps would be for in badminton? Maybe i understand triceps but biceps..i dont feel it being used.

Shoulders too, is it for the swing action ? Cause if so, my shoulders are a bit neglected from my work outs :p

#12 PandaLord, Jun 3, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  13. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    i think the biceps would help out in smashing

14. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

not only that, but you wont break the ground in 2 if you accidently drop a weight, less chance of injury also. it also somewhat helps you train endurance, and wont close the growth plates as much as heavy weights for the younger players such as myself:p

15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    In other words, all the major components of muscle needs to complement each other. Regular match game and tournament will help. Go to the gym and talk to the experts. They'll give you good tips as well. All you need is just fine tune it a little.
    rgds

16. CG 99

CG 99 Regular Member

student
    Can u explain to me how u do squats with resistance bands?

Thanks

17. stumblingfeet

The exercises performed with resistance bands is a method known as "accomodating resistance" because the loading changes depending on the position. The usefulness of this method is that as you move upwards in your squat, the force needed increases - this helps to teach you to continue accelerating upwards as opposed to the constant force output from regular squats. In addition, the elastic bands can also accelerate you down to the ground faster than gravity itself, which can be useful if you're doing reactive squats.

To do these exercises, you attach a band on each end of a barbell, and attach the other end of the band to the base of your squat/power rack. If your rack doesn't have a special attachment for this, I've seen people hook them though the base of the rack and around a small dumbell placed at each side. Or, you could try using heavy chains instead of elastic bands.

Do your squats as normal, except now the load will change depending on your position!

Here's an article about the benefits of this training technique http://elitefts.com/documents/effectsofaccom-resis.htm

18. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Biceps are strong forearm supinator (to produce power backhand rotation) and a strong flexor of elbow (to produce power for smash)...
    Triceps are elbow extensor (straigtening it..) ideally for backhand stroke especially backhand smash.

19. PandaLord

PandaLord Regular Member

Student
    Generally,

biceps: Forearm stuff esp. smash
    triceps: Backhand stuff like those backhand clears and smashes ?

And how about the shoulders ? In another thread i saw someone say that shoulders play a huge part.

20. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    I think you'll find that you use your triceps in your forehand strokes aswell if you hit them correctly, and yes, shoulders play a massive part in power, its all about timing and using your all of your muscles at the right time. Also, abs play a part in smashing

Badminton is all about power:

For legs you want to do a range of exercises, including weighted, jumping, lunges, bounding, dynamic leg extentions (mimicing a jumping action). These should help your movement around the court, a vital part of anyone's game.

For any shots, you may just want to put a cover on an old, heavy racket and do repetitions of strokes. Another way to build up power is to throw balls in a similar manner you would hit a shuttle. Infact, i've heard many coaches saying that you should imagine that you arae throwing the racket head. Use heavier balls once they get too light for you.:)

Once last thing, sprinting helps as well.

#20 Sunsgambit, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2006