User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Badminton in Victoria

I am a badminton addict who is relocating to Victoria from the town that I've lived in for the last 18 1/2 years, (I'm 19 currently), so that I can get a). proper coaching and b). more court time. My main question is where can I go to play with people who are better than myself and for cheap? (I am currently a "B" level provinicial player, my doubles partner and I made it to the Semi-finals in the Junior "B" provincial championships). If you know of anyone who plays quite a bit and is looking for more players to come out and shuttle with them that would be great if you replied! Thanks, Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggest that you check out www.badmintonvictoria.com but the places to place (for feathers) would be Cordova Bay and Brentwood. Cordova Bay has several sessions on different days and times. For example, on Monday evenings (8pm on), there is competitive doubles ladder (play is serious) where you are grouped into 4 or 5 and you play a game with each person in the group and the one with the most points at the end of the games get to move up the ladder whereas the one with the lowest gets moved down. This is also similar for the Wednesday evening play at Brentwood. Tues/Thurs at Cordova are open play and depending on the turnout, you do get a few good players. Wed nights at Cordova is XD ladder night (and you should have a partner). Other evenings (earlier times at 6pm), you have competitive singles. All the details should be on the badmintonvictoria website. The only problem is both Brentwood and Cordova Bay are not the easiest place to get to without a car.

Good luck.

Since you are moving to Victoria for better badminton training, I assumed that you are either going to be coached by Keith Anton or maybe Jon and either one of them should be able to point you to the various facilities in town. Saw your other post. Keith runs the various sessions at Cordova Bay and since you are being coached by him, you should have no problem getting to Cordova Bay (where he usually coaches). I think you made a good choice in Keith.
    Last edited by Winex West Can; 06-03-2006 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winex West Can, do you train with keith Anton?

(I agree, good choice in coach),

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Knight
    Winex West Can, do you train with keith Anton?

(I agree, good choice in coach),
    Nope...I used to live in Victoria and played at Cordova Bay as well at Brentwood. I now live in Vancouver and don't play as much anymore. In Victoria, there is only a few coaches so you tend to get to know them within the badminton community there.