moving picture

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by vlkbad, Jun 3, 2006.

1. vlkbad

vlkbad Regular Member

I wasn't sure just which thread this belongs to, so I figured, might as well start a new one..

I find most pictures are too static -- there is hardly any hint of the furious speed you see in badminton. And videos.. well, they are too low res and often too long. So I wonder, why is it that people haven't stumbled on the happy medium? Why not animated gifs? If other photographers are like me, they usually shoot a long sequence of 3-7 pics each time. So, as an example, here is an animated gif from the 2005 World Championships --

http://static.flickr.com/77/159510766_dda8584829_o.gif

Eriko Hirose (JPN) v/s Agnese Allegrini (ITA) during the 2005 World Championshops at Anaheim. Eriko is demonstrating how to get at an attacking backhand clear.

2. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    wow nice... got any more?:)

3. vlkbad

vlkbad Regular Member

Thanks!

Yeah, I have the entire MD championship point from Anaheim in a series of stills :)

but unfortunately I've been unable to upload any animated gifs to this forum. will post more when I figure out what's going wrong.

4. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    nice idea!
    but going back to my point. unless u have a particular project on that. photographers will hardly do it that way. they only need to capture the best moment form an action sequence or may be something creative within ONE SINGLE SHOT. indeed that's what a still camera was designed for.
    u know, i couldn't imagine when techology has come to a point that video quality is the same as those from a still camera! then photographers will no longer have their value! u know what i mean?
    anyway, for analysing some action sequence. let's leave the picture quality behind. i still think a video camera will do better than a still camera. it provides more fps rate. therefore we can see the whole sequence with more details of the movement and indeed much smoother.
    one more thing. wasn't that an overhead clear or an overhead smash?

#4 red00ecstrat, Jun 3, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  5. vlkbad

vlkbad Regular Member

yes, I agree that that is what people do, is to shoot many and pick one. actually, even I do that. I just wonder, there is now new technology almost universally available that lets you (a) shoot rapid bursts, (b) string them together easily, and (c) present them for viewing in a very simple way. So.. why not? I mean, yes, photography developed around the concept of the Perfect Moment, but digital photography should not be beholden to that, yes?

oh, I agree that sometimes one single brilliant image can capture not just a thousand words but an entire novel. but that should not preclude the possibility that 3 not so great pictures can hang together to make something greater than the sum of their parts. For example, I think the combination is more dynamic than any of the individual frames -- the fact that you know where Eriko started from makes the stretch in the last frame more impressive.

So, I think what I am trying to say is, I encourage all you photographers out there to take another look at the rejects and see if they can tell another story!

It was an attacking forehand clear by Agenese to Eriko's backhand, to which she responded with an overhead drive, I think. I don't remember what happened immediately after, and whether Eriko won that particular point or not. She did win the match.

6. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    i never say no vlkbad. if u have that idea or a project. why not!

shooting an event for job or for personal pleasure is different. at least the framing. u will never see a picture on magazines or newsapapers with a framing like that. we both know. coz our intention is different.

thx man! honestly, i really appereciate for that.

#6 red00ecstrat, Jun 3, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  7. vlkbad

vlkbad Regular Member

turnagain twist

Here's another one,

http://static.flickr.com/77/160030600_837b8c2ea8_o.gif

Luluk Hadiyanto/Alven Yulianto (INA) v/s Jung Jae Sung/Lee Jae Jin (KOR) at the 2005 World Championships at Anaheim. Luluk and Alven won the match 15-5, 12-15, 15-7. This sequence at 3-3 in Game 2. The Koreans are in blue and the Indonesians are in orange. The Korean that twists around is Lee Jae Jin. The one going up to smash is Alven. I think it is safe to say that the smash won the point.

not for printing :)

8. PandaLord

PandaLord Regular Member

Student
    Hey that last pic as nice, you can see Alven getting ready to smash positioned and all.

9. vlkbad

vlkbad Regular Member

blink

Another one:

http://static.flickr.com/77/163064271_ed2cf5e7f7_o.gif

During the quarter finals of the Men's Doubles at the 2005 World Championships at Anaheim, when Candra Wijaya/Sigit Budiyarto (INA) beat Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen (DEN) 15-10, 11-15, 15-9.

Blink, and you miss it.

Here Sigit Budiyarto is seen attacking a short serve by Jonas Rasmussen during the second game. The speed of Sigit is unbelievable -- from a standing start, he got to the shuttle at the net in about the same time it took the shuttle to get there (notice that Jonas hasn't even completed his follow through) and dropped it dead before the Danes took one step.

10. samtruong200

samtruong200 Regular Member

hey how do you make .gif? i want to learn and is there anyway you could make it have a smoother transition from frames?

11. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

those are really good! more action pics tho, like jump smashes and diving. diving gifs would be key.

12. vlkbad

vlkbad Regular Member

I used convert, which is part of ImageMagick. You can get ImageMagick at
    http://www.imagemagick.org
    A typical calling sequence looks like
    Code:
    convert -dispose background -background black -delay 100 -resize 640x480 P103014[4-7].JPG output_anim.gif

I am sure there are many other ways too. The transition is controlled by the delay time, which I have tried to make as close to reality as possible -- most cameras in burst mode can only shoot about 2 or 3 frames per second.

13. vlkbad

vlkbad Regular Member

Moonwalk / Lucky bounce

yeah, but somehow those seem very difficult to get a good sequence of. in the meantime, here are two more, from the Men's Doubles final of the 2005 World Championships at Anaheim, when Tony Gunawan/Howard Bach (USA) beat Candra Wijaya/Sigit Budiyarto (INA) 15-11, 10-15, 15-11 :

Moonwalk

http://static.flickr.com/47/165609111_8655c22d3f_o.gif

Tony serves to Sigit, who attacks immediately, putting Tony and Howard on their heels and hopping back.

Lucky bounce

http://static.flickr.com/76/165609112_b03b559db5_o.gif

Tony on the attack, and Candra desperately fighting it off, and the shuttle takes a lucky bounce in favor of the Indonesians.

14. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Animation Shop 3 by Jasc is a really good program for animations.

www.jasc.com