Armortec 300 for doubles defence?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Ryoga, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Ryoga

Ryoga Regular Member

Hi,

I'm getting at At300 for my first racket. Its a 4UG4 racket so its pretty light which should make it good for some quick defensive plays. However, on the Yonex racket selection chart it learns towards more singles/agrressive attack style rather than doubles/defense like the At800Def or At500. Would it be good for playing doubles defensively? thanks guys

#1 Ryoga, Jun 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  2. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

If this is your first racquet, i guess you are more of a beginner than an advanced player. One piece of advice is that beginners do not have the necessary skill and finesse to play doubles defensively. Furthermore if you don't develop your smash power, opponents will not respect you and simply step forward towards the net and try and attack your 'quick defensive plays.'

So short answer, whatever racquet you use as a beginner, it won't be good for playing doubles defensively because all your shots will get killed ... until you achieve a certain degree of racquet control and finesse.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Smash is just one of many ways to play, be it single, double or mix. Personally, I think the worst nightmare to face in a competitive game, is the crafty / deceptive players. They don't need to smash a lot, but know exactly where to put the shuttles with effective drop / clear / drive combo. You can smash all you want, and they just return to the least expected spot, and make you to kill yourself.

4. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

Agree with you but you are at a different level -i.e. competitive player.... but for beginners, blunt force is often effective. And nothing wrong with that, I feel you have to build up a good smash so that when you play your deceptive drop, your opponents respect you and stand back and wait for the smash.

A crafty/deceptive player without a good smash to back him up is less of a threat, mainly because you can position yourself one step forward to attack any of his tricky net shots. Thats how I play against a "crafty old man" who don't smash as hard as before but has beautiful net play. Of course sometimes I have to rush backwards for his crafty attacking clears :)

If I smash and my opponent returns the smash by consistently flicking it to the rear corner of the court, I think my opponent is definitely no longer beginner level and whatever racquet he uses doesn't matter that much because I'll lose :)

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

They can only do this when your smash is slow or flat. If your smash is faster and steeper, then they will be under greater pressure and will not be able to play their deceptive/crafty replies.

You must recognise when you are not in a good enough position to smash. If you can only produce a weak smash, then a drop shot will probably be better -- or even a clear. A weak smash gives the opponents a chance to play those crafty replies.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree with your point in a way. However, I still don't recommend beginners to over rely on smashes, and settle with a wrong impression of the game, as "power rules everything". Such expectation will limit their development in a long run.

Of course, smash is part of the game, but I would rather use it in a smart way, than use it all the way. ;)

7. Ryoga

Ryoga Regular Member

so....is the At300 good for playing defensive doubles??...