little help please

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by olle_whitehead, Jun 6, 2006.

1. olle_whitehead

olle_whitehead Regular Member

hi there

i'm looking to improve my badminton by improving items off the court like stamina and diet that sort of thing, so can anyone suggest anything that i should be doing off court to improve my game

oh and by the way yes i do always practise my strokes and footwork at home

so if you have any dietary tips or any tips to improve general fitness it would be greatly appreciated

thank you in advance olle_whitehead

2. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    You sound very serious, so i advise doing a fair amount of cardio work, sprinting ideally to build up the power in your leg muscles. I have found doing jumping lunges with a bumbell in each hand is useful for movement too. You seem to have the right approach, doing your physical fitness off of the court, you probably are already, but join a gym if you are not and don't concentrate too much on your right arm, if you train your right arm mostly and forget about your left, there may be unbalance.
    Finally, when you do weights, do dynamic, power exersises, like try throwing the weight on the wilson machine up when you are bench pressing and try doing jumps with weights. Really, don't bulk up too much without gaining power and strength, as a badminton player you want to be as strong as possible without gaining too much weight, a bit like a boxer or iorn-man competitor.

3. olle_whitehead

well i know now that i wont over work my right arm because i'm left handed

anyway thanks for your advice i will put putting aspects of it into action, please everyone keep the comments coming i'm not going to became an international unless i get everything right on and off the court

cheers

4. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    Lol, yer i keep forgetting that alot of players are left-handed, hell even the mens world champ is left handed, anyway, if you get a coach or trainer, tell them that you want power training, they should be able to give better advice than a fitness mad 16-year-old:)

5. olle_whitehead

will do i'll ask my coach this friday if he has any hints and tips, well my coach is quiet old and is still competing at world class level so he must have a few tricks up his sleve

6. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
  7. olle_whitehead

thank you for directing me for i had done searches but found nothing that really suited me although i will do another search to have a look.

although i'm not really looking for ibf training sessions for i dont have the time, the coaches or the money that our full time badminton stars have

so i'm really looking for the sort of stuff that i can do at home or at a local park. oh and any tips on diet what kind of food should i be eating? all help will be gratefully recieved

thanks in advance