String Tension - A question about Kwun's advice

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Sunsgambit, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    Now to quote him out of the article:

I would like to know what these classifications mean.

I'm a junior county player, and i recon i'm intermediate, but i use a 25lbs strung racket and can hit it hard most of the time. So that would make me an advanced player? As if, i'm rubbish (in my opinion), i'm only ranked about 950th in england junior boys.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

2. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Here is my thought regarding tension: I don't follow Kwun's advice regarding tension. :D The level of a person playing ability (ie beginner, intermediate, advance) is very vague. Sometimes I notice that a person would consider himself/herself as being intermediate (for example) and in reality is a beginner. Different person's experience has different standard. Usually a region where badminton is very popular and are being played at high level, the standard is higher than a region where badminton is not as popular. The tension use does not indicate whether a player is at a certain level or vice versa. My advise is to use a tension that is comfortable for you to play and according to your budget.

Cheers. :)

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

coming at it from the other side, why do you use 25lb?

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Kwun's advice is good, but it is necessarily vague because it is general.

Think of Kwun's advice as a recommendation to players who don't already know what string tension they prefer.

Also, think of the advice as a one-way implication, viz: "If you are an advanced player, try using 25 lbs+."

The implication does not work the other way round. This is incorrect: "If you use 25 lbs+, then you are an advanced player." ;)

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Gollum's advice is as always, spot on. :)

6. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

Think of it as a guideline but if you know what are doing then do whatever you like on string tension and according to your skill level. To me, that's a very accurate info given the current technology of rackets and strings. However, the same info may not be true 30 years ago since we were using wooden rackets back then, and an advanced players may have a string tensions of 15lbs!:D Cool, I can beat the crabs out of them with my modern rackets - just kidding!

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Or, put this way, you are in between of int. and advance level. ;)

Agree with most others. Kwun's guide is a recommendation in general. It will vary case by case down to each individual. ;)

8. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    To answer this I state:
    I can hit the "sweet spot" the vast majority of the time due to my tecnique. Unlike many players i have actually changed my tecnique to mimic a throwing action, hence i have imporved accuracy.

Also any lower tension than this, i find that my power is impeded.

9. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Then you have your tension right. Power is lost above and below the optimum tension. It is possible to hit harder using a tension above your optimum. But you would not be able to hit hard for as long as you could at optimum tension.

Here's my formula to work out if you are advanced:

If you are advanced, but you don't know you are advanced, then you are not adavnced.

If you are not adanced, but know you are advanced, then you are not advanced.

If you are advanced, and know you are advanced, then you are advanced.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Epistemologists would have seizures reading that ;) Even just using simple propositional logic, the first one is an outright contradiction of the form:

[X and not Y] implies [not X]

Formally, this can only be true if [X and not Y] is itself a logical contradiction (because then for all Z, [X and not Y] implies Z. Anything follows from a contradiction.)

So is it logically impossible to be advanced without knowing it? Then your first statement is logically valid, albeit trivially so.

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

please people.... [X and not Y] implies [not X]....badda-what?;)

if you're playing less than 1 year: you're a beginner
    if you think you're intermediate; you're a beginner
    if you think you're advanced: your intermediate
    if everybody recognizes your face at national, or big regional tournaments: your advanced.

advise: take a pinch of salt...

you really shouldn't give a crap for 'playing level' especially on these forums...Comparing 'how good you are' in comparison to people here just by ásking them their play level you won't get any further. Around here you see at least 300 member saying they aspire to 'become USA's first gold medalist' when they're 14 and just started playing 2 times a week for 1-3 hours. and likewise you see some people how play with malaysia's backup-players and call themselves 'average-joe' But give badmintondemo's at the local shopping mall.... (you know who you are:p)
    This forum is great, no doubt..but 'playing level' should really be an untouched subject....

12. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Hmm, interesting formula and logic there! To me, a non beginner and especially advance player should know his or her required tension without reverting back to recommended tension. Only a beginner requires recommendation. :D

Cheers. :)

13. jerby

jerby Regular Member

or advanced players that don't really give a crap...A bloke at our club played 1e division. (only 1 division above that": Big Boss division. so he's definatly advanced) but has an old winex ti6 and 3year old string....

14. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

That could explain why the bloke isn't in the boss division. To be a serious big boss in badminton, you have to have optimum skills as well as equipment. Anything less and you would just end up being a trainee big boss :D.

15. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

Interesting logic...So if I bring my wooden rackets from 26 years ago to the club and that will put me somewhere < beginner...:D or nowhere:crying:

16. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I doubt it makes thát big a difference..it's not like 2lbs of higehr tension will make him beat eveyrbody who oens opposed him...soem things will increase, a bit of power, more thouch, more control, more comfort...but it's not like somebody's ranking will shoot threw the roof with a new racket...
    plus, like I said: he doesn't care that much for getting that extra 3km/h on a smash....

17. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

just because you use high tensions but at a lower level does not make you a more advanced level, hell i could give a noob a 35lb racquet that wwould not make him any better lol. as Gollum the Wise pointed out (thats my new nick for you gollum) kwuns advice is pretty general, so most of advanced (if not all) use about 25lbs+. the key word is MOST.