What String and Tension Should I Use With a Wilson N5

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by arinrb, Jun 8, 2006.

1. arinrb

arinrb Regular Member

I have a Wilson N5 and I need to restring it. I want to know what type of string I should use and at what tension to string it. It is for my sister and she plays mostly singles with a more defensive style; however she is fairly little and so a little help on the power end would be good for her.

Thanks,
    Arin

2. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    As to tension: The manufacture's suggested tension for Wilson N5 is 18 - 22 lbs. Since I have never seen your sister play, it is pretty hard to suggest a tension. Here is my wild suggestion: try using 16 - 18 lbs and see if that works for her or not. If not, it will take a few tries to get the perfect tension.

As to type of string: Depends on your budget and what type of shuttlecock she is using. Since I prefer Ashaway than Yonex, I will suggest a few Ashaway strings. :) I will assume that she is using nylon shuttlecock. For low tension range of 16 - 18 lbs, try using Ashaway Rally 22 or Ashaway MicroLegend. As to price, MicroLegend is more expensive than Rally 22.

Cheers. :)

3. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

string tensions all relative to the person, but since she is small, try around 18lbs. safe choice for string is yonex bg 65, good in everything.

4. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Speaking from personal experience, Ashaway Microlegend XL at 15LB(mains)/16LB(crosses) is great for a little person with weak arms. I don't know how heavy your racket is. But heavier ones are best for people lacking power.