broken grommet

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by Riceeboy, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Riceeboy

Riceeboy Regular Member

Yeah well I just restrung my racket some weeks ago and now theres a broken grommet on the bottom. Do you guys think this will affect my technique or my game? Because I played very bad today(racket didnt make a POW sound when i hit like normally)... with the sound of the broken grommet, its becoming annoying and im not sure if the racket has a problem or is it just the grommet.

2. jwcdis

jwcdis Regular Member

Student
    hmm if theres a broken rubber thing on the bottom of you racquet frame i would say it maybe would slightly affect your gameplay like an increase in vibration and might lower your frame durability.
    im don't know if there are replacements for them but if its affecting your gameplay and endangers your racquet investment i suggest you replace it

3. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

cut your strings and replace the grommets, they'l snap soon either way once the string reaches the racquet frame. then restring and everything will be fine

4. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    Can you take a picture of what it looks like? Normally I don't think it should affect your gameplay that much, because my racket had some damaged grommets as well. Maybe it's just the string or something...

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It won't affect your play.

The strings might break earlier than normal, and you should probably replace the grommet next time you restring; but there's no need to cut the strings now.

jays-8 likes this.
  6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The broken gromment should have very min. effect on the playability of the racket. However, depend on the location / string type and tension, it will effect the string durability in a certain degree. ;)

7. schuweiz

schuweiz Regular Member

you'll probably hear different from usual noise when you hit the shuttle if a grommet is broken (unless that you are trying out a different string). Yes, my string broke just after a few hits from stringjob because the grommets are worn out

8. MING PARIS

MING PARIS Regular Member

restaurant owner
    If your stringer do some good job he have to change the broken grommet,not for free ,a part of the job!
    sometime when the grommet are too badly broken the string can cut the frame,I saw it several time!
    if it is not too brokened you can wait the next time!
    MING

9. Chilefeu

Chilefeu Regular Member

Student / Trainee
    I had this problem with my Satelite Chrono. A grommet hasn't been changed that's why the string at 23 lbs damaged the frame. I didn't notice it at first, cos i didn't focus on my grommets so far. I saw it after 2 months of playing when the string broke.
    At present, i have to use a wider grommet because the string enlarged the whole :cool:

However; if the grommet cracked during a game, you don't have to worry unless you use high tension (24 or above). You can wait the string to break. ;) and then replace it.

10. schuweiz

schuweiz Regular Member

does anyone here SELL GROMMETS of DIFFERENT SIZES ?? PLZ LET ME KNOW :eek:

11. MING PARIS

MING PARIS Regular Member

restaurant owner
  12. Arwin John

Arwin John New Member

Hey guys, This is a Bedini Graphitex 100 racket that i used back about 8 to 9 plus years ago and was untouched for that long. So i picked up this sport recently about 2 weeks back and during play, i saw this one particular black grommet broke and it keeps sliding up and down the string during play. Keep in mind, the last time i changed this rackets string was about 8 years back so im wondering, what should I do know ? This racket holds lots of sentimental value for me because it was my very first training racket before moving on to big brands. But the whole concept and idea of broken grommet was something i only experienced now so im clueless regarding it as should i cut the string and get a new string immediately and NEW grommets or is it ok to still play with it for a while ? cause i dont want the racket frame to break as i recall i read somewhere in some forum where it states the string can cut the frame without grommet and cause further damage. I dont want that to happen. By the way, i know the racket has long lost tremendous amounts of tenshion and its long past due its stringing so before i plan to bring this string to the shop, i figured i would ask here. Is the grommet changeable ? When its broke like this ? Cause my stringer friend is currently in overseas and will only be back next month and till than i plan to use this racket. But i dont want to take the risk either.

Thanks in advance for your valued time, response and suggestions.

IMG_0769 (1024x768).jpg IMG_0771 (1024x768).jpg

#12 Arwin John, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017