Serving-New Rules

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by CkcJsm, Jun 10, 2006.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

the new scoring system makes serveing a bad thing., if u fail u lose a point, the way i see it there is no point of serving. serving is just a risk of losing.
    above waist-lose,step on line-lose,too short-lose. etc.

what do u think?

2. setaa

setaa Regular Member

the other side of this is "serving is a test of winning"
    serving is part of the game and if you can't do it properly, i don't think you're eligible to win.

3. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

agreed, could be serve on line or whatever. even so, everyone gets equal amount of serves.

4. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Actually this is an interesting point. Would you now want to serve or receive?

With rally points, I think I'd rather receive than serve first because serving is no longer a "safe" thing to do.

5. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

unless your really good at it

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Each side face the same issue, and if you fail to achieve your goal (e.g. make opponent excute bad quality return), it's your problem / weakness.

2. Serve is part of the game, and you need to practice on it. Serve is not as simple as "shoot the shuttle over the net", you need to practice to get the control / placement.

3. Serve is a risk of losing, and it's true for all strokes. Will you stop smash if you ever hit it out? Never drop, because it could be tap into the net? etc? :confused:

7. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

i'm usually a risk-taker...lol
    but when i serve sometimes by accident it hits te net on low servers, but it usally is almost over the net, or it is above my waist.
    i love risk-taking smashes.and other stuff, but i usually risk it when our side is serving, if its the other side serving,i risk less and i sometime hesistate to do it.
    but im if losing by alot i risk take alot =)
    or if im in a reallygood mood

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Enjoy the action, whether serious or playful

I think you should just enjoy the action of serving.

If you are playful at Badminton, you should not be worried about winning or losing when you serve.

If you are serious in playing Competition Badminton, you should then practice and practice until you become a excellent server.

You cannot be serious at Badminton if you don't work hard on your strokes. However, if you are serious and work hard on your strokes, you may enjoy Badminton better.

You can tell me later, about how you feel/think in months to come.

Cheers... chris@ccc

9. chorlaw

chorlaw Regular Member

Hi
    Would appreciate if anyone could let me know the new serving rules in 21 pt rally?

Saw the Aviva Open 2006 on tv
    noticed during double matches
    during the first 7 pts...
    serves are done by the player with the mark point..
    ie pt 1,3,5 7 - served by player at the left side...
    is it so?
    am i correct??

many thanks

10. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    When I played in the last tourny my MD partner and I decided to go with the opposition serving first, confident we could win the point and serve, immediately putting pressure on them, not us.

We practice a lot with serving and receiving and attacking the serve.

Especially during MX you should attack the serve. If you are quick enough then stad right at the service line, racket up threatening the server.

11. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

People standing at the line to receive makes me laugh as I flick the hell out of them and there's not much they can do about it. Even the most stubbon end up bending backwords with a mere toe hold on the line in anticipation of a flick. By then they have lost all the advantages of standing at the line and off balance to receive the surprise short serve. As 50% of my short serves go on the line and the other 50% go just short of the line, attacking my short serve would just send the shuttle straigh into the net.

12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Judging from your big words, Cai or Erikssen would stand no chance against your killer serve (or maybe the 50% that are left short them get an occasional point ;) )

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I believe he was talking about serving to players who play with him regularly. Against the likes of Cai or Erikssen, he will probably not know what has hit him.:D

14. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    CoolDoo6 thats when proper footwork comes into the game, also standing at the service line, most women players will try and flick serve, men won't be as keen to flick serve. I'm not talking about Intl players!!!

You can still attack the shuttle if it's hitting the service line, push it half court down the line, drawing the back player up into the court, then you can push him back again.

Sure I've been flicked, or the serve is just to good to kill but I'm still putting the pressure onto the server. vbmenu_register("postmenu_398866", true);

15. surge

surge Regular Member

w rally points, it becomes a very much a skill issue w the serve. like many have said, if you can serve well, both low and flick, you are ready to launch an attack giving a chance to get a point. that means you must attack well too to get the point.

if you choose to recieve, and cant keep the shuttle down, you will still end up defending.

so now, serving or receiving, all aspects of skill really counts.

on 15 points system, serving pair will dare to whack since you only loose service. on 21, low percentage shots needs consideration since you can lose on your own mistakes.

i still prefer to serve than recieve. not that my service is good but at least am taking the initiative to launch attack

#15 surge, Jun 21, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  16. kmodak

kmodak Regular Member

it is also about singles vs doubles.

In doubles a good low server will always remain a powerful weapon putting opponents immediately on the defensive.

In Singles the new new system makes the server a little irrelevant since most serves will be high and in the back of the court.

That is what i think.

- kmodak

17. surge

surge Regular Member

i ever play w ppl who can flick very very well that you have no chance at all to tab the short or move back to take the flick.....cos he serves from his chest level and his flick is like a drive that just zoom pass you! :D:D

but nobody ever tell him his serve is a fault since we all just wanna play and have fun.

just gotta move back 2 steps from the line and drive back the serve.

another one, a fella who can serve to the extreme front corner of the court so tight ....he prepares his serve aiming the front center....than as he serves, his hands moves all the way to chest level and literally throw the shuttle to the outer corner of the service court( both hands action a bit like holding a pail and throwing the water out of the window!!)...sometimes i dont even know if the racket touch the shuttle during the serve!!! :p

18. gabxzz

gabxzz Regular Member

student
    even in the old system, serving is the most important stroke of the game. If u cant serve, u cant win. so juz practise your serving till the best u can and then u can even win points or gain the advantage with a good serve. my thots.. haha

19. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    now for me

singles----still better to serve
    doubles---tricky thing.......
    i MIGHT rather choose not to serve

20. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

This is just an interesting observation.
    If you watch some of the doubles tournaments lately, I think some of the players purposely serve a bit higher than normal to let the receiver attack. The server's partner will get ready to return a fast low net shot hoping the opponent will miss hit on the net. Whether it's a miss serve or tactic, that I don't know. :eek: