User Tag List

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad that I couldn't play a couple of games but my intention was to show the Winex products anyhow.

My impression of the place is that it is great. Clear ceiling height is the same as C2. Others have made note of the 4' clearance between the walls and the back of the court. Yeah, could be better with a foot more but that moves the courts ends closer and that could hamper folks from getting to the courts so that's a tradeoff. Lights are good although it would be nice to have dark curtains covering the top to avoid lights from the other courts. My only other concern is courts 1 and 2 being end to end and the distance between the two ends are too close (for my comfort).

The court mats are from Victor or Pro-Court whereas the ones in C1 are from Gelflor and C2 has the Nagase mats. WWCBro mentioned that the mats are not as "grippy" as the ones in C2.

BF'ers who were there this evening included Pete LSD, TTT, Speed76 (Mr & Mrs), Wood_22_Chuck and bro and Mr. Mystery (aka CD-ROM). NB: I thought Pete LSD was nuts to be playing a game with nylon shuttle using his 32lbs tensioned racquet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the fun tonight!

Everyone was very friendly and the games very, very fun, especially playing against provincial-level players.

The surface is very reminiscent of the flooring at Cameron Community Centre. The concrete back wall is too close to the ends of the courts. Not more than two racket lengths from the back line (singles).

Ceiling height is good. The place feels cavernous!

I could be wrong about this, but it seems like only the VRC players were bringing out shuttles to the court.

When changing sides, there's a big perspective change, as on one side, you're looking at the back wall pretty close to the end of the opponents side, and on change-over, now the back wall is FARRRRRRRR away.

It was great seeing WWC in person again, and some familiar faces from Cambie CC and socializing.

Also managed to try out the 21-rally-pt system and it's actually creates a new dimension to the game. I recommend people actually try it out before meting out judgment.

Thanks madbad and gang, for a wonderful evening

-dave
    p.s. Sorry didn't bring the camera out today, rushed home from work, chowed down a light snack and rushed out again to RichmondPro.
    Last edited by wood_22_chuck; 07-07-2006 at 03:31 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooh, forgot to mention, the black curtains will be going up soon so the issues mentioned earlier will be non-issues.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

no piccies????

how can there be a gathering without piccies?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    no piccies????

how can there be a gathering without piccies?
    He, he, sorry Kwun, you'll just have to come up and experience things first hand

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad
    He, he, sorry Kwun, you'll just have to come up and experience things first hand
    if you subsidize my trip, i will even take and post the photos for you for free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Photos

TTT and Speed78 have cameras. Photos were taken. Please post the photos!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably not Speed78 as she has analog camera. It'll take some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    TTT and Speed78 have cameras. Photos were taken. Please post the photos!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanna thank our hosts for inviting us to check out the place. I am very grateful for the chance to play in another classy establishment.

For sure, me and my partner were quite happy to provide feathers to play against a certain provincial level player. Actually me think we got the best deal out of the lot of us.

Not only did VRC members bring their numbers to the club, they brought out their egalitarian habits with them too. Definitely lots of Sosan Black shuttles flying around the courts.

Lighting around the courts is not perfect but it's more than adequate. Like wwcbro, I too find that the flooring is not as grippy as C1 or C2 but it still does the job well and forces me not to slack off too much on my footwork. IMO, the only major downside is the feel of the courts which is reminence to Cameron CC but at least it's not a John Braithwaite CC type of hardness. However, I am one of those players who are spoilt by VRC environment so it might not apply to most players. The place looks great! Good work, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by wood_22_chuck
    Thanks for the fun tonight!

Everyone was very friendly and the games very, very fun, especially playing against provincial-level players.

I could be wrong about this, but it seems like only the VRC players were bringing out shuttles to the court.
    Thanks madbad and gang, for a wonderful evening

-dave
    p.s. Sorry didn't bring the camera out today, rushed home from work, chowed down a light snack and rushed out again to RichmondPro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best put in my bit of observation...after being "dragged" in by WWC's comment

Did dropped in about a week ago just to hit around and I concurred with most of the observations made by others. As for the mat being less "grippy" it is all relative...If the mat is squeaky clean it will be be more "grippy" When I commented the mat is not as grippy...it is not that you will slide all over the place. It a million times more grippy that any wooden floor. It is a positive comment. The underpads, I feel is equal or better than C2. The back wall, well, it is there. The only other minor point is the net...the holes in the net are just the right size that if you smash into the net the shuttle will stuck there. So, another learning tool for "Why you must prepare for your smash"
    No comment on the comparison with Cameron Community Centre, as I have never played there before.
    Other than that, I enjoyed myself and thank you to Madbad, Richard, Edward & Tim.

Originally Posted by wood_22_chuck
    Also managed to try out the 21-rally-pt system and it's actually creates a new dimension to the game. I recommend people actually try it out before meting out judgment.
    wood_chuck_22, Yeah the NSS 21-points I felt is great. I think as time goes, you can actually played an actual game..i.e the best 2 of 3. Exactly, it does creat a new approach to certain aspects of the game.
    wonder, if viver,taneepak,chai et al...are going to hijack this thread now

Pete_LSD, way to go..playing with plastic birds.
    Last edited by wwcbro; 07-07-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that you mentioned it, there were a few occasions where shuttle got stuck during our games.

Quote Originally Posted by wwcbro
    The only other minor point is the net...the holes in the net are just the right size that if you smash into the net the shuttle will stuck there. So, another learning tool for "Why you must prepare for your smash"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, many thanks to Madbad, Richard, Edward and Tim for a wonderful experience.

Now now, let's not tempt an off topic discussion from you know whom .

I used to play with nylons many years ago. The initial feel is funny to say the least. You should try it sometime .

Quote Originally Posted by wwcbro
    thank you to Madbad, Richard, Edward & Tim.

wood_chuck_22, Yeah the NSS 21-points I felt is great. I think as time goes, you can actually played an actual game..i.e the best 2 of 3. Exactly, it does creat a new approach to certain aspects of the game.
    wonder, if viver,taneepak,chai et al...are going to hijack this thread now

Pete_LSD, way to go..playing with plastic birds.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Everyone

Good News! The Badminton Centre is scheduled to open on Sunday 9 July. Hours will be 9am -11pm. We have a few little things to clear up but as far as the courts are concerned, they're ready. I'm off to a meeting now and will provide an update later on. Thank you

mb

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    if you subsidize my trip, i will even take and post the photos for you for free.
    Ha ha... one day we may be able to afford to fly you first class, you never know

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Richard & Madbad for the amusive night, I would say the club was satisfactory. Got an idea of drop-in people....the club can provide checkered card for whoever collected ten stamps may get one free drop-in, exactly as same as those pearl bubble tea shop's favored style, I think it helps to retain the constant customers.
    Last edited by speed78; 07-08-2006 at 12:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ten stamps for one free? Hmmm, that's leave the marketing to Richard and investors .

Quote Originally Posted by speed78
    Thanks Richard & Madbad for the amusive night, I would say the club was satisfactory. Got an idea of drop-in people....the club can provide checkered card for whoever collected ten stamps may get one free drop-in, exactly as same as those pearl bubble tea shop's favored style, I think it helps to retain the constant customers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 4th badminton centre in Richmond is going to open in September. It is about the size of Clear1 (with 6 courts) and is less than 3 min walk from RichmondPro (Minoru/Alderbridge). I think Richmond is the only city in Canada/North America that has so many badminton centres and courts.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast