Looking for #1 Fans

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by MLBadvanced, Jun 13, 2006.

1. MLBadvanced

MLBadvanced Regular Member

Hello Badminton Fans -
    My name is Eric Yellin and I work for MLB Advanced Media in New York City. We are currently developing programming on sports fanatics from different countries, sports, and cultures. The NFL has Raider Nation, The Hogettes, and the Dog Pound, all fanatics for their respective teams. We are looking for a group, or a specific fan, who could be considered a 'Super Fan'. In other words, someone who lives, breathes, eats and sleeps their team, or player. Someone who's life has been changed or affected by their extreme passion for favorite team/player. I was hoping some of you might know someone like this, or maybe one of you is this person. We would be interested in talking to the #1 Fans from around the world. Please respond to me here, or preferably by email at Eric.Yellin@mlb.com. Thanks in advance.

Eric Yellin
    MLB Advanced Media

2. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

are you talking about badminton or baseball?

3. MLBadvanced

Badminton... We no longer just do baseball. We are looking to do a television show showing passionate sports fans from a variety of sports and cultures.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    then the wildest fans are the indonesian and malaysian. In those countries, fans wrapped in flags and they bring in traditional drums and gongs, not plastic tooters. Supporting one's countrymen brings more pride than supporting a regular sport team where players comes and go like baseball cards.

Attached Files:

#4 cooler, Jun 13, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  5. MLBadvanced

Great, anything more specific, we are looking to do a piece, so if you might happen to know anyone, or a group of people who we could contact, that would be great. Perhaps these fans have a website that you could link me to? Thanks.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

maybe u can start by interviewing this fan;) I think his voice is back to normal now:)

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/content/view/108/26/

In 2005 world championship at anaheim, the US fans were so loud and berserk they drown and numbed out all opponents of the US MD team. :p The fans were doing the stirring and the opponents were doing the shaking LOL It was a historic win for the US team

#6 cooler, Jun 13, 2006
  7. MLBadvanced

Thats great, i will pass it along to the boss... I would really like to know more about the people who bang the drums and gongs as well.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

#8 cooler, Jun 13, 2006
  9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

just to show that i'm not making this up.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2006/5/30/sports/14390127&sec=sports
    Kedah make history Tuesday May 30, 2006

THE Kedah fans came prepared with drums and kompangs to drum up support for their team.

And the capacity crowd at the Kedah BA Hall in Suka Menanti, Alor Star got what they wanted as their boys' badminton team rode on the strength of the singles players to beat Selangor 3-0 in the final last night.

It was the first time that Kedah bagged the Sukma boys' team gold medal.

Tan Chun Seang showed terrific form to hand Kedah the first point, scoring a 21-17, 21-19 win over Lim Kenn, who is the top seed for the individual competition beginning today.

Chong Wei Feng then set Kedah on the road to a historic victory when he overcame fellow training partner in the national junior squad, Azrihanif Azahar 21-19, 17-21, 21-18.

Lok Chong Chieh, fielded at third singles, lived up to the expectations to beat Mohd Hafiz 23-21, 21-13 for the winning point.

Kedah were confident of victory after downing Negri Sembilan 3-1 in the semi-finals on Sunday but the manner of victory over Selangor yesterday was least expected.

Players from both teams for the first two matches were from the Project 2010-2012 squad under Rashid Sidek.

Kedah coach Ang Chuan Teng said that the support from the crowd helped lift the players.

“We did not expect to win all three singles matches. We were banking on the team to win at least one singles because the opponents were evenly matched,” he said.

Wei Feng, who played in the Kedah team when they finished as the runners-up to Kuala Lumpur in the last Sukma in Seremban two years ago, was delighted that he emerged as the winner over Azrihanif.

“I did not play well in the group ties. This is my best match so far and I am glad to have won this tough one,” said the 19-year-old Wei Feng.

The Federal Territories defended the girls' team title easier than expected, beating Selangor 3-0 in the final.

Lydia Cheah got the ball rolling for FT, beating Chong Sook Chin 21-8, 21-12.

Esterratna Devi then overcame Ng Hui Ern 21-16, 21-6 and Stephanie Shalini was handed victory after Selangor's Ng Hui Lin injured her knee soon after resuming the second game.

#9 cooler, Jun 13, 2006
  10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It's nice to see badminton draw enough attention, and being selected on your list, right next to the major sports. I guess it's always easier to start with some local groups. Here are several badminton clubs in NY metro area, and maybe contact them and pay a visit (interview local players, etc) can give you some ideas.

www.friendlybadminton.com (Queens, NY / Hoboken, NJ)
    www.nycbadminton.com (NY, NY / Queens, NY)
    www.brooklynbadminton.com (Brooklyn, NY)

11. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I can genuinely say that badminton has changed my life. Also I'm a perfect gap for asian and northamerican cultures because I'm half chinese half white. haha selling myself. how can I post a pic here of my room? I have the pic on my computer but I can't just cut and paste... do i really have to upload the photo somewhere? :mad: are you the same eric yellin who helped direct Taxi?

#11 Eurasian =--(O), Jun 13, 2006
  12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it's quite daring to post a pic of one's room:D

13. MLBadvanced

Not the same guy... that eric yellin is at a far more advanced stage of his career ;)

14. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

If you are looking for the number one fan in badminton, I think it would have to be the large Malasian supporter who goes to every tournament Malaysia is in and cheer's his heart out. He always has his malasia flag draped on him and has led the country's cheering since their win at the 1992 thomas cup. I think his son is now a die hard fan as well lol. I'll look for his pictures but I'm sure everyone knows who I'm talking about.

15. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

16. MLBadvanced

great, thanks... how can i contact him? And is he the guy who appears in the pictures with the megaphone and flag wrapped around him?