2006 MVP Cup

Discussion in 'Thomas Laybourn Forum' started by MikeJ, Jun 13, 2006.

1. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Hello Thomas! :D

We're looking forward to seeing you play in the 2006 MVP Cup. It's great that you and your fellow Danes are coming here to show us more world-class badminton. :D

If or when you have the time, please check out Pinoy Badminton Forum ("pinoy" is pronounced "pin-OY" or "oy" as in "boy"). I hope that you can join the PB Forum despite your busy schedule. :D

2. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Congratulations!!!

Congratulations on winning the MVP Cup! :) I was able to watch your match in the Araneta Coliseum.

I hope you and the entire delegation enjoyed your stay here in The Philippines, and that you'll be part of Team Europe again next year. :)

If you have the time, please join our local forum, Pinoybadminton, inc. Forum

I'm sure that my fellow Pinoybadminton members are looking forward to your posts in the forum. :)

Btw, how many racquets do you bring when you compete in a tournament? It's good that you still had at least one extra after breaking the strings on two of your racquets.

#2 MikeJ, Jul 16, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  3. rocket

rocket Regular Member

Hi Thomas, that was a great match that you and Kamilla played yesterday! I hope you enjoyed your stay in the Philippines, and hopefully you'll be back to represent Team Europe in the MVP Cup event next year.

By the way, I thought it was a bit odd that often in the match the umpire was not allowing the change of the shuttle. It seemed strange considering that your opponents agreed to change the shuttle.

4. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    Apology re: umpires

Hi Thomas!

I'd like to begin by congratulating you on your match yesterday! It was my first opportunity to watch a professional badminton tournament, and I was blown away!

However, the behaviour of some of the umpires was disappointing. I was quite put off by the insistence of the umpire to inspect every shuttlecock everytime a player wanted to replace it. It gave me the impression that they were “conserving” the shuttlecocks, to have more for later. Yes, it sounds silly, but as a newbie to live tournament action, that was my perception. I’m assuming the budget of such an event would cover the cost of more SCs than needed.

Apart from this, I was curious why the umpires would decline having the playing court wiped. Playing on a wet court is dangerous! I felt sorry for your team and Kenneth Jonassen in particular because of the inconsiderate behavior of the umpires. I was booing the umpire from the stands when he gave Kenneth a yellow card for refusing to play on the wet court. I think everyone will agree with me that inspecting the court for wet spots would warrant more effort than inspecting shuttlecocks! :confused:

Thankfully you had the good humor to wipe the court yourself with your own towel! :) That diffused the tension a lot!

Anyway, thank you so much with gracing us with your presence here in the Philippines! I hope the fickleness of the umpires won’t convince you not to come back in MVP 2007! More power to you! :)

5. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

new rules state that the umpire has the final say whether to change the shuttlecock or not. it is up to the umpire's discretion. but i think the umpire was just grandstanding knowing that the match is being broadcast worldwide. umpire shouldn't have done that. it was just a friendly match after all.

6. asuncion_03

asuncion_03 Regular Member

hi Thomas.. Congratz!! You had beaten our own pride.. playing here with our players here is a pleasure for us,and we enjoyed it.. how will you describe the asuncions??