Long rackets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Igor, May 31, 2001.

1. Igor

Igor Guest

I used to play badminton a lot in 80-s, but didn't play at all the last 10 years. Currently I decided to play again and bought a racket, which seemed to be nice in my hand. It's Winex Kevlar 999, ISO shaped and long (+10mm).

However, I tried to play yesterday and failed miserably in almost all departments - serve, net play, drops - half of my shots go to the net or to the outside. And there's no smash at all. As far as I remember, I played much much better 10 years ago.

So, my question is: I never had irregular rackets before and wonder if my bad performance is caused by the long non-play period or it may have something to do with the long racket? Most of my mistakes seem to be related to bad timing...

How difficult it was for you guys to adapt to the longer rackets? Is it matter of minutes or hours or days?

2. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    um for me to adapt to a long racquet, it was a matter of minutes actually...because i usually play oval frames, and then i used a long iso frame....iso=larger sweet spot so its easier to hit.
    as for your bad play, its certainly due to ur long period of not playing. just give it some more patience and practice..and it'll all come back ^_^

3. Tycho

Tycho Guest

yep, I agree with Shaun totally. I acclimatized to the long rackets within minutes, you just probably need some more time since you haven't played for so long.

4. Howard

Howard Regular Member

Student
    well adapting with long racquet probably isn't your problem because most winex racquets are cloned so they no design to give you power speed or control but i maybe wrong cuz this is just something i heard.

5. Jeff

Jeff Guest

yea, i didnt have any trouble adjusting to the long shaft. i mean, its not THAT much longer. but as for not playing for a period of 10 years, i think that may have something to do with it. this isnt anything serious, nothing a good partner to rally with for a while, and some good people to play with wont fix. the longer you play, the more you will adapt. its only a matter of practice

6. Ken

Ken Regular Member

Student
    Maybe the problem is on the string. Like different kind and tension of string will affect the performance. Try to borrow other people's rackets to compare yours, then you will probably discover what problem is (are?) -- the racket, or string or just need more practice?

7. Igor

Igor Guest

Thank everyone!
    You're right - now I see that the problem was not the long racket. Yesterday I played again and this time it was much better. Still not good, but I feel more confident now. Just have to continue to play regularly and everything should be OK :)