serving

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by robc06, Jun 18, 2006.

1. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    I thought I would share this with you, usually each week I practice short mixed or doubles serves, short, flicks or out wide and different variations. Serving between 150-300 serves a week from a tube feeder.

It has helped me a lot being more confident when the guy in mx or doubles is ready to attack the serve.

Especially putting a good flick serve in, so the opposition know that I can flick them or put in a good short serve.

A good drill is to have someone receiving your serves, so it's a game situation.

2. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    good to know that it works. i also know someone that does the same thing and his serves are pretty good. who knows. maybe one day his rim shot underhand serves high and to the middle of the court will be an ATTACK one day =). (severe exaggeration)

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    For doubles, practise serving low to a receiver who rushes to put down your serve, legally. When the receiver cannot put away your low serve despite rushing to the net, then you are getting there. After that, sharpen up your flick serve to a level when the receiver cannot tell whether you are going to serve low or to flick-serve plus the condition that your flick serve must reach close to the back doubles service line and that the receiver respects your 'evil' low/flick serve combination. With this standard of serves in doubles, you can initiate an attack more often than having to defend.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

What is a "tube feeder"?

5. viver

viver Regular Member

I agree with you about having to practice the low serve for doubles. But are you also saying that even the receiver knows you are executing a short serve and the receiver is unable to attack/finish it?

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This is for practices only and is the best way to improve your low doubles serve. It would even be better if the server has his partner behind him and see how he deals with the return of serve in these type of low serve practice routine. Of course in real play the receiver will be foolish to rush you especially if you have a "killer" flick-serve.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    one should varies their serve.
    even best low serves will become less and less effective if u keep using it.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This of course is a pre-requisite, and it will make the rusher look silly rushing at a target that is coming a different way.

9. viver

viver Regular Member

Of course I was just referring to practice. Can you practice your short and low serve such quality that the receiver cannot attack it? If you could, why you need to work with the flick serve?? :confused:

I have worked a lot regarding the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strokes - and also learned some concepts behind them. But as we know, the concepts that I have learned are not quite the same as yours. ;)

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The flick-serve is an additional powerful weapon in your repertoire of serves. Receivers come in all shades, skills, and even "colours" so the more options you have the better you can tailor your serves to get the weakest response.
    The doubles game is very simple in concept. Basically your objective is to force your opponents to lift and the rest will be just pay day. Key to this objective is to gain control of the net. What can be simpler than that?

11. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    That's simplifying the games of doubles too much! The basic objective is to get the shuttle down onto the floor on the opponent's side of the court, but there are many different strategies that we can adopt, depending on our form on the day, and also on the opponent.

In any case, gaining control/command of the front court area is not exactly the easiest thing to do in doubles!

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

It is a chicken and egg thing-which comes first? For me it is clear that nothing-like "getting the shuttle down onto the floor"-comes your way if your opponents do not gift you with any opportunity to smash away. With no high shots for you to put away your objective is unfulfilled. Every stroke you make must bear the hallmark of forcing your opponents to lift-this way you are master of your own game plan instead of playing lottery by waiting for the opponents to lift to you.
    In doubles the side that lifts the least will have more control of the net. The side that lifts less will have their netman wreaking havoc on the opposition. The side that spends most of its time in a front/back formation will have more control of the net than the side that spends more time in a side-by-side formation.
    It sounds simple because it is a concept. Concepts ought to be simple, otherwise we will end up putting the 'cart before the horse'. Once you get the concept permanently embedded in our head, you can then study and employ strategies, tactics, strokes, etc.

13. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Guys, all Robc06 is doing is to share some of the drills that are useful in helping with perfecting the serve and you guys are turning it into another thread similar to the 21-rally attacking game.

Repeat after me: A serve is not an attacking shot. It is a defensive shot in that it has to go up and over the net. It does not matter if your short serve is perfect that it just clears the tape of the net and land just at the end of the service line/corner if I'm quick enough to get to the net as the shuttle is coming over, it's game over.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You are right that things got a bit off track.
    However, if you can put away low serves so easily-"it's game over"-then you would make mince meat out of Cai's low serves. Other equally top level doubles servers will meet the "game-over" fate. This is unlikely, nay I would say preposterous. Then something must be wrong with all the world's top doubles players stubbornly sticking to the low serve.

15. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech

16. viver

viver Regular Member

This does not answer my question.

If I (or anybody including the world top players) could execute a low serve so that the receiver knowing it is a low serve and he/she is still unable to attack/finish it, why do I (or anybody else) need the flick-serve for? :rolleyes::confused:

17. viver

viver Regular Member

Is the serve a defensive shot if it is irretrievable? Ever heard irretrievable shots? :rolleyes:

Yes, Robc06 is sharing his idea about drills, but can you practice your serve to a point that nobody is able to attack it? I am sure that not only Robc06 wants to know how to reach that level, I'll bet you even Cai, Gunawan, Hadinata and co, everybody would just love to learn this secret.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Some of the all-time great doubles servers are Christian Hadinata, Park Joo Bong, and Ricky Subagja. Try to get hold of videos of any of these three players and you will be impressed. Their quality serves played a major role in their many doubles successes.
    Viver, try to play with very good servers and try to rush their serves. This is one good way of finding out.

19. viver

viver Regular Member

Yes, these great doubles players had excellent serves. But they had 1 thing in common: all of their serves are 'attackable', if not how could they lose any match.

In my younger days, I played in a club - I had 2 coaches, 1 Chinese national team coach (who later resumed his duties as China national team coach), 1 Chinese provincial team head coach. Everything was provided by the club - shuttles, gym, clothing, free medical, etc. All we (6 players altogether) had to do was to show up for these 4H training sessions, at least 3 times per week.

In those training sessions we did something funny. One guy standing on one side just executing low serve, the other attacking it. I think all of us suck really bad, because at least 9 out of 10 low serves were killed.

Still you haven't replied to my question: if I am able to execute a low service in such a way that any receiver is not able to attack/finish it, why do I need the flick-serve for.

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Pls refer to my post #10 re your last para. The more ways you learn to skin a cat the better.
    You must have played with very poor servers to have such easy put-aways of their serves. You seem to believe that the 3 great servers were not up to the mark just because they had lost a match here and a match there. I am saying that their excellent serves brought them more wins than would be the case if their low serves were not as good. But you don't seem to agree.
    Maybe you should perfect your serves.