Mandarin or Lee's?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by goodbug, Jun 19, 2006.

1. goodbug

goodbug New Member

I've checked all the messages regarding Mandarin and Lee's clubs and still couldn't get the answer I need, so I want to open a new thread here and appreciate any answers.

I've been in Toronto for a little over 1 year, been to a couple of clubs, and realized most people are playing recreational. To play competitively, Mandarin and Lee's seem to be the only choices.

I am a Chinese at around 30, speak Mandarin and English. I went to a couple of popular Chinese forums, tried to find someone who are playing in these two clubs and couldn't get a response. I don't like playing in an environment where I look odd, particularly now I couldn't find anyone I know before I joined. I am a pretty good player for double, I don't want any training (unless its free), and I plan to play 2-3 times a week at nights or weekends.

So my questions:
    1. Are the clubs most of kids or there are people from all ages, are they cliquey?
    2. Are the courts occupied for training at nights or there would be enough courts left for drop-in style play?
    3. I am inclined to join Mandarin but Lee's has a membership
    Adult Mon/Wed/Sat 6pm-11pm $100 init and $29 monthly which looks
    fitting me well, what do you think?

2. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

You can drop-in and try before you decide. Come tonight and I will be playing at Lees.

3. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

Try Milikien community centre on Sunday 1:30pm-5:00pm. They are competitive players but you must be at least C player by OBA (Ontario Badminton Association) standard. We are having a friendly competition this Sunday but for the members only. Membership is around $80 for half season, birds are provided. Just come by and see if your standard can match the group.

4. dex

dex Regular Member

Student
    Can someone please confirm if Meliuawati is now coaching at Lee's or is she just coming to visit? If she's coaching, how much is the coaching fee for 1 hour? Thanks!

5. roby2003

roby2003 Regular Member

check this out...

Attached Files:

6. asphyxiate

asphyxiate Regular Member

There's also going to be some exhibition games featuring the Chinese players on August 12th. Sadly I can't go so someone should go and take pictures for us unfortunates :p.

7. txtmodluke

txtmodluke Regular Member

badminton courts??

where exactly is Milikien centre? im also looking for competitive players who plays feathers. :)

8. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    steeles and mccrown..

9. chanman87

chanman87 Regular Member

Banker
    they are not allowing Cameras or outside drinks for this event......quite stupud but whatever.....got two tickets for seatings not the standing tickets.....but i've seen BAO CHEN play with Kokkee Chen for training.....holy crap this guy is buff and is so powerful and wristy...can't wait to see them play

10. asphyxiate

asphyxiate Regular Member

Wow... no cameras? That's so unfair :(. And about the no outside drinks.. Mandarin is like daylight robbery sometimes. Yeesh. I wonder if I can randomly walk in just to see the training sessions after I come back from vacation :D ??