User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian =--(O)
    When Pang was training he would be training three times a day. Alex was probably the most committed player I've ever trained with when he was training. Pang was in amazing shape and achieved amazing shape at a very early age, something very hard to do! Pang had to work hard to get to where he was at. The reason he quit was because he would have had to stay at the training center in Saarbruuken to qualify for the 08 Beijing Olympics and he wasn't gauranteed to do that! For the amount he trained then being told that he wasn't gauranteed to qualify even at the IBF training center, thats big and would make any player question why they play ESPECIALLY if they put in half as much as Alex.
    How was it that in order to qualify to Olympics, one would have to had to stay at the Saarbruken training centre?

I thought qualifying for Olympics would have the guidelines of tournaments in which you'd have to play and have a certain ranking at the end. Is that not true?

So what are the main reasons for Alex Pang to quit?
    1) Large difference between players from elsewhere and himself

Just wondering if any of you Albertans know, does he still play leisurely or just quitted badminton as a whole?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    Lots of valid points. Often, national players have to pay their own way to play oversea tournaments.
    Regardless of the expenses paid by the players himself/herself, some guidelines, advises and assistance should be provided by players who want to commit and are willing to go pro. Why not give our future "stars" an opportunity to make Canada proud again! Never say there aren't any Jrs who are willing to commit and to turn pro, there are plenty enough to replace the Canadian Team. But too bad they all change their directions by going back to school now. The U23 Nationals is an excellent idea to motivate them to continue to play but Canada needs new blood in their National Team! Please help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devilcat
    Regardless of the expenses paid by the players himself/herself, some guidelines, advises and assistance should be provided by players who want to commit and are willing to go pro. Why not give our future "stars" an opportunity to make Canada proud again! Never say there aren't any Jrs who are willing to commit and to turn pro, there are plenty enough to replace the Canadian Team. But too bad they all change their directions by going back to school now. The U23 Nationals is an excellent idea to motivate them to continue to play but Canada needs new blood in their National Team! Please help!
    yes, very sad, no one decent coming behind milroy brothers, andrew D, steven W, mike beres. There guys are current backbone of canadian MS, MD and part of XD. Alex P quit. Keith C. join the working class now. Keith is gonna clean house in corporate challenge. The youngest new blood is kyle foley. Not to disrespect but kyle is no international grade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    yes, very sad, no one decent coming behind milroy brothers, andrew D, steven W, mike beres. There guys are current backbone of canadian MS, MD and part of XD. Alex P quit. Keith C. join the working class now. Keith is gonna clean house in corporate challenge. The youngest new blood is kyle foley. Not to disrespect but kyle is no international grade.
    I believe Jon V and Brian Prevoe once had the ambitions to go pro, but because of the financial reason, they have to give up! It's so sad!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are several players coming up from but that depends mainly if they want to go pro in badminton. based on u23 national results, conrad and justin, alvin and toby are pretty good potentials to be moving up in MD, Mattieu Laforest and Chris Lee in MS could move up as well but that depends on whether they want to pursue the badminton on a whole different level. There are tons of youngsters out there but I personally Badminton Canada just doesn't give enough support to them for them to continue on- this includes both financial and mental which is very bad for us. ='(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to add a few comments on this..

I strongly agree that Badminton Canada should fund more for their players and really it is sad that Canada has so many talents but all of them just quit due to lack of funding.. sigh !

Best coach ? hmmm my vote goes to Wang Wen (and there are a lot of great coaches in Canada). Again it also has alot to do with the players themselves to get their asses going and really do what they can do. Coaches can help lots but at the end it is still the players. You can have the best coach in the world but really it is still in your hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by junkz
    How was it that in order to qualify to Olympics, one would have to had to stay at the Saarbruken training centre?

I thought qualifying for Olympics would have the guidelines of tournaments in which you'd have to play and have a certain ranking at the end. Is that not true?

So what are the main reasons for Alex Pang to quit?
    1) Large difference between players from elsewhere and himself

Just wondering if any of you Albertans know, does he still play leisurely or just quitted badminton as a whole?
    To achieve a sufficient world ranking Alex was told he would have to stay at the center or he wouldn't do well enough to qualify for the Olympics. Badminton Canada has guidelines saying a player must be top 19 in the world to qualify for the Olympics (appeals may be made).

Also Chris Lee is still a good player. Him and Alex were very close with Chris only losing to Alex the nationals before Alex went to Saarbruken. Yes Alex also still plays for fun maybe once a week or two weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by junkz

He does he recently played in the alberta series event #1 at glencoe club with ardy in doubles lol so yeah he still plays and hes still got the touch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha Alex Pang trains me =D He took a year off school to go to germany to train all out, but then competed in an IBF tourney (german open?) and got completely owned and said it wasn't worth it, thats what I hear, and thats most likley the truth cause I heard it from my friends who have been coached by alex pang for quite a while. And yeah alex did play at the alberta series and hes currently coaching in calgary so he hasn't completely quit yet (Hes a mean coach!! Makes us do so much fitness! but I'm sure he was probably the player that trained the hardest in canada)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a shame that badminton canada sucks when it comes to supporting athletes in badminton compared to other countries and yet they base they're ranking on international points to which the player has to pay 1/2 his way or something like that? Who can possibly afford to train, travel internationally and play in tournaments to achieve a ranking (if they have skills to develop) on what Badminton Canada finances.

Not everyone has rich parents that foot the bill or the player have the willingness to live on the edge of poverty for that. Reality for most people dictates that won't happen so they end up having to join the real world working 40 hours/week to live. bleh.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shoot, i cant remember who it was but she was on the canadian olympic team and she was a guest speaker at college nationals. she said it was around $40,000 so she can make it into the olympic team!!

somebody please correct me cuz i seriously cant remember ><!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charmaine reid? probably her but it could be.. anna rice? jody patrick?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope nope and.. nope.. i kno for sure it wasnt those 3 =\
    sorry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by derrickn
    shoot, i cant remember who it was but she was on the canadian olympic team and she was a guest speaker at college nationals. she said it was around $40,000 so she can make it into the olympic team!!

somebody please correct me cuz i seriously cant remember ><!
    what year was she in the olympic team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by not4u
    It is a shame that badminton canada sucks when it comes to supporting athletes in badminton compared to other countries and yet they base they're ranking on international points to which the player has to pay 1/2 his way or something like that? Who can possibly afford to train, travel internationally and play in tournaments to achieve a ranking (if they have skills to develop) on what Badminton Canada finances.

Not everyone has rich parents that foot the bill or the player have the willingness to live on the edge of poverty for that. Reality for most people dictates that won't happen so they end up having to join the real world working 40 hours/week to live. bleh.
    Because Badminton Canada is broke and our Federal Government is busy spending money developing hockey talent rather than badminton. Care to guess how much Hockey Canada gets in funding? Now compare that to Badminton Canada.

Badminton is simply not a sport that brings in $$$, especially in North America. Compare the prize awards of major Tennis tournaments vs major Badminton tournaments.

Beyond that, environment has alot of impact on the quality of players we produce. That's exactly why the Milroy brothers ran off to Denmark (Wil was there for a year) to improve their level of badminton.

Green Day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by green_day
    Because Badminton Canada is broke and our Federal Government is busy spending money developing hockey talent rather than badminton. Care to guess how much Hockey Canada gets in funding? Now compare that to Badminton Canada.

Badminton is simply not a sport that brings in $$$, especially in North America. Compare the prize awards of major Tennis tournaments vs major Badminton tournaments.

Beyond that, environment has alot of impact on the quality of players we produce. That's exactly why the Milroy brothers ran off to Denmark (Wil was there for a year) to improve their level of badminton.

Green Day
    badminton canada is broke because of little to no fundings.
    One hockey rink can buys alot of open gymnasims.
    -------------------
    Kent Spencer, The Province
    Published: Thursday, June 01, 2006
    The University of B.C. hockey arena being built for the 2010 Winter Olympics is $7 million over budget.

UBC vice-president Brian Sullivan said yesterday costs have risen from $41 million to $48 million

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jean koh and bryan yee

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast