Best Coach In Canada

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by black_knight006, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black_knight006

black_knight006 Regular Member

Work at a pro-shop
    Hey guys, I just moved to a new city to train with a really good coach. I have heard that he is easily the best in Canada. I was wondering what others thought about who the best coach in Canada is? I know ppl from Vancouver will agree that it is NOT C.H. :p Anywho, hope to hear from you soon!:)

2. AT_700

AT_700 Regular Member

Ooo I dunno, a bunch of good canadian tops are coaching at the Elite centre in Calgary and Toronto.. Keith Chan... Charmaine Reid.. both really good..

3. BananaOfDoom

BananaOfDoom Regular Member

Student
    However, being a good player doesn't necessarily make you a good coach. For example, Ardy Wiranata was a champion (as I'm sure most here know) but from what I've heard, his coaching isn't great, and his between game coaching is terrible.

I have to say that from my experience, my coach at the Royal Glenora is one of the best, if not the best, coaches in Canada. I've never been coached by someone even similar to him.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that is correct imo, best players often than not don't make great coaches, and vice versa. Did yang yang head coached for MAL at one time? Also morten frost did a stint in MAL and south africa. Ex pro Misbun for MAL too. Zhao jinhua coached in SG(correct me on this one). Nothing much came out of those. Yet, Li Mao, not a big name player, is doing wonder for MAL MS team.

#4 cooler, Jul 17, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

That's quite true for a lot of sports, as the lengendary players become so-so or even horrible coaches. I think that might due to the great players have too much expectation in the younger generation, or too much talent in themselves. Therefore, if they use their own success to guard the relatively "ordinary" players, it could back fire. :rolleyes:

6. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    i heard ardy is a pretty good coach, haha

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

what protegee(s) or potential protegee(s) in canada under his belt so far:confused: haha

#7 cooler, Jul 19, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  8. BananaOfDoom

Student
    I've heard from my friend who have been coached by him during matches that his advice is along the lines of "go faster" and "hit harder." Not very helpful during a match, IMO.

9. Michael-Lam

ummm avish makol? most of the other jr players don't train the NETC

10. Michael-Lam

hjaha maybe he doens't like your friend

11. BananaOfDoom

Student
    LoL, could be, could be. He also had Alex Pang under his belt until he quit...

12. black_knight006

black_knight006 Regular Member

Work at a pro-shop
    Ahhh poor Alex. He finally realized that he couldn't beat people purely on talent. Hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard! Kinda like Chris Lee and Alvin at the VRC Summer Tourney. Haha...Alvin just wanted it more and was in much better shape:p Anywho...I'm wondering what you guys can tell me about Keith Anton. He's an amazing coach, I've never worked with anyone better and I've done stuff with Ardy and Calvin Holoboff and some pretty damn good coaches. But Keith is defiantely an odd duck, what does everybody know about him? I need some background info on the guy.;)

13. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    Do you even know what you're talking about?

Alex Pang was probably one of the HARDEST working players when he was still playing. From MY sources, he did an IBF training camp and felt he wasn't able to compete with the rest of the world, so THAT's why he quit. Also, he had a few injuries too.

How do you know Alvin was in better shape? Did you give both of them a fitness test before their match? Did you ever consider that Chris used to win the 15 point system matches? With relative ease too. Wouldn't that make him a little more fit? Cuz from what I know, that's his style of play: he runs you down. BUT WAIT, we're playing 21 point RALLY point system. He's got a limited number of rallies to play now. So don't you think Alvin had a little more advantage? And Alvin wanted it more? What's that supposed to mean? Did Alvin scream more? Did he smash and go beserk or something? Maybe Chris just plays a more passive style than Alvin, ever think of that? There's really no way of telling, is there?

From what I know, neither athlete trained very much in the summer. Also, since it IS the off season, nobody probably played their best that tournament. So, from what I know, the match was pretty even, except that Chris had to adapt to a different style of singles due to the point system change. It didn't really surprise me that Alvin won.

So next time, why don't you think a little bit longer before you spew out your "words of wisdom"... cuz you know, your words lose so much more credibility now. Oh wait, we're on the internet... guess I'll never learn :crying:

14. PrinceOfBMT

PrinceOfBMT Regular Member

Umpire
    well said toby~

15. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

When Pang was training he would be training three times a day. Alex was probably the most committed player I've ever trained with when he was training. Pang was in amazing shape and achieved amazing shape at a very early age, something very hard to do! Pang had to work hard to get to where he was at. The reason he quit was because he would have had to stay at the training center in Saarbruuken to qualify for the 08 Beijing Olympics and he wasn't gauranteed to do that! For the amount he trained then being told that he wasn't gauranteed to qualify even at the IBF training center, thats big and would make any player question why they play ESPECIALLY if they put in half as much as Alex.

16. devilcat

devilcat Regular Member

It's definitely a lost for Canada that Pang had decided to quit badminton! Isn't it about time to query about the system of BadCan that why we can't produce any Olympic players for 2008 and onwards? Pang was absolutely lost and disappointed when he came back from the training in Saarbruuken. To top up with that, BadCan had provided no assistance and guideline as to how and which int'l tournaments that he should compete inorder to achieve points for his world ranking. Here, in Canada, one can travel and compete as much tournaments as you want.........until you have outstanding results......then you will be reconized by BadCan! But how much time and money can a player saved if only some assistance can be provided by BadCan and that's the least they could have done. I believe there are other players out there who might come across the same situation over the years and they are now Senior players. Think of it in 5 years.......most of our member in our Senior Team in Canada will be 30 years old and a few are even over 35. Let's be practical in the World's level as to how much can an athlete achieve at this age? I remember 6 years ago, the level of play for the Australian, Peru, Mexican and U.S. team are way below the Canadian....but from the recent results of the Pan Am and some Int'l tournaments, I can see Canada is falling way behind. To import and accept foreign coaches is definitely one of the solution but to stay close and being fair in the politics of BadCan plays the major factor that non of our Canadian players is caring for our future and to give a chance for our youngsters to make Canada proud!

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Lots of valid points. Often, national players have to pay their own way to play oversea tournaments.

18. junkz

junkz Regular Member

How was it that in order to qualify to Olympics, one would have to had to stay at the Saarbruken training centre?

I thought qualifying for Olympics would have the guidelines of tournaments in which you'd have to play and have a certain ranking at the end. Is that not true?

So what are the main reasons for Alex Pang to quit?
    1) Large difference between players from elsewhere and himself

Just wondering if any of you Albertans know, does he still play leisurely or just quitted badminton as a whole?

19. devilcat

devilcat Regular Member

Regardless of the expenses paid by the players himself/herself, some guidelines, advises and assistance should be provided by players who want to commit and are willing to go pro. Why not give our future "stars" an opportunity to make Canada proud again! Never say there aren't any Jrs who are willing to commit and to turn pro, there are plenty enough to replace the Canadian Team. But too bad they all change their directions by going back to school now. The U23 Nationals is an excellent idea to motivate them to continue to play but Canada needs new blood in their National Team! Please help!

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yes, very sad, no one decent coming behind milroy brothers, andrew D, steven W, mike beres. There guys are current backbone of canadian MS, MD and part of XD. Alex P quit. Keith C. join the working class now. Keith is gonna clean house in corporate challenge. :crying: The youngest new blood is kyle foley. Not to disrespect but kyle is no international grade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.