Hope we can learn ...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LLLean, Jun 23, 2006.

1. LLLean

LLLean Regular Member

I've been following the threads in this website for a long time now.

I always find it so funny when you fellas curse, degrade and criticize players just because they didn't perform as expected (i.e. up to their seeding) and then when they win a tournament, all of a sudden, the same fellas would be showering praises and accolades on them. For example, LWC was so cursed/criticized by so many just so recently, and now, he's such a hero.

As badminton fans - and hopefully players - we all should know that in a match between two top-10-ranked players, the match can go either way, especially with the 21 point system. On any day, one player can beat another. Even when LCW lost in All-England and Thomas Cup, the scores were very close. But it seems that as long as someone loses a match, no matter what, he/she gets criticized.

I dont mean to put anyone here down, but I really hope we all can grow up and be more reasonable, and stop criticizing the players just because they lost a few matches. Let's just watch and enjoy their great talents. Use this forum to help each other understand and enjoy the game of badminton and not to unnecessarily criticize the players.

Thanks for reading. No flames please....

2. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    shouldn't this be posted under general forum...?:)

3. sshuang90

sshuang90 Regular Member

Well said.
    But there're always two types of fans, rational or emotional.

4. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

But i think it's good to be emotional as long as there is still some thinking involved and u don't let urself overwhelm of your emotions.
    Fpr me i think the pro players are so much above me i can't critizise their games....

But i also think it's funny to discuss the players from a point of view as if you are god...i mean it is like watching soccer- all the people are experts when they watch, even if they can't run around the block.
    hihi:p

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    as summarized by greenspan: Irrational Exuberance:D

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    OK... I am gonna flame you for not going far enough:p! Totally aggree about the conduct of some fans. The beauty of being an armchair athlete is that s/he is always right:rolleyes:. It's so easy to criticize and yet so hard for them to show how it is really done. We reserve a special appreciation for legends like Tony Gunawan and Kim Dong Moon because they win under trying conditions. Yet many of those so-called fans hold contempt for athletes who, despite trying their hardest to compete, did not win. Criticism should be reserved for those who don't try. As for the talentless, they don't make it on the team:p.

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Probably the only paragraph here which can summarise all of it. Well done cappy :D.

8. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    I think those who tried thier best should deserve credit. Example like KBH when he lost when it matters most in the thomas cup. I think he deserve credit for trying his best.

9. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

but who knows who tries his best??
    Ok i try my best, but i can't push me to play hard when it counts...so i tried but i am not able to to use my potential??

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    "Tried" is such a subjective term here. In badminton, there's only one measurement that's commonly understood across the board -- did you win or lose? Significant appreciation should be given to those who put up substantial 'fight' in their matches during their games. Whether the player won or lost, there won't be any doubt in the minds of people watching on the courtside. Yes, express disappointment when your favorites don't meet expectation, but disgust and contempt when they lost?! We shouldn't even consider the 'potential' of their best efforts since tournament environment is ever changing. The average player/fan should know that the best players can't always be on top of their games all the time.

#10 cappy75, Jun 24, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2006