The time has come for me to consider: Ti10, AT500, or NS8000

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by walkinghome, Jun 24, 2006.

1. walkinghome

walkinghome Regular Member

I am an experienced player but inexperienced racquet buyer. I'm afraid to own a white elephant and racquet range is limited in Australia.

Thinking about: Ti10 (old silver/black/red version), AT500, or NS8000. Read 30+ pages of badmintoncentral advice. Theoretically, I "get it" about these three racquets.

My profile:
    - I mainly play with Carbonex 8sp (hand-me-down), and started entering competitions. Reached finals/semifinals but only converted 1 in singles.

Also use a very light Domino Vission Titanium 500 whenever playing against smashers. Less confidence compared to the Carbonex8, but quicker reaction time makes up for it.

- All-round player. People say I cover the court like a singles player and I play singles at a higher level than doubles, despite only doubles practice.
    - Better feeling on the backhand; but I do know to depend on round the head shots are vital in singles.
    - small Asian person, 5ft 7.
    - At my most aggressive, I am not considered a power player.
    - Patient; not a fast pace; but a no nonsense player.

My problem:
    - I love Carbonex 8sp for it's overall balance, control, and weight in offense and defence -- I hope someone understands this about Carbonex8.

Honestly, I CANNOT KEEP UP with opponents in competition with it. With minimum time under competition circumstances, I have many mis-hits or can't kill a "sitter" after dashing across court.

- Even getting used to another 8 (after losing/breaking one) has been hard enough. Maybe I am a sensitive player.
    - new 21 point rally system seems to benefit strength players unlike me

** My requirements:
    - Confidence with net push up the line, and lifts especially. ie. control.
    - Able to hit a full length forehand clear with routine ease. Ability to generate power as a weaker player. ie. head heaviness??
    - Able to return singles smash or driveshots across the court without mis-hit.
    - Need ease & good feeling on straight line smash. Preparing my Carbonex8 is too readable for opponent.

---

I tried the above 3 racquets from friends but not all at the same time. Would you say the Ti10 and AT500 are better suited to me? Even though I am not physically strong, I have used Carbonex8 to full potential so weight is probably not an issue. I have tried light racquets before and fear that I cannot hit full court.

NS8000 is being considered as it is the most convenient racquet to buy. Interestingly, I read that although it is light many Ti10 users have adjusted fine. Definitely easy to return body smash.

With Ti10 and AT500, I remembered being able to clear to both back corners with ease and accuracy. I guess I am leaning this way.

Any comments? I will appreciate the time you take to reply. Thank you!

#1 walkinghome, Jun 24, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

If you are a heavy hitter (at least, that's what you look like to me) I'd say teh at500. 3u. it's not 'heavy' like a ti-10 or a cab8. but it's very endloaded (balance point is 300+mm, don't know exact)

accidentally: I own a cab8dx, an at500, an ns8k, and a sotx woven 7 (considered a ti-10 lookalike)

power: for me: woven 7, at500 close second. but not that "pow" feeling.
    ns8k trailing behind, nowhere near the head-heavy hitters. woven 7 weight does the trick (~91 grams).

control: well, ns8k gives the best feeling. and woven 7 and at500 are abotu equal. stringchoice is the deciding factor here, for me.

defense/easy to move: ns8k hands down. then at500 followed closely by woven 7.

overal: I like the woven 7 best. but that's personal. and your indictations are hard to follow. you want ánd power ánd a good defense/control...the odler yonex racket tends to be less stable. but for mishits: all rackets are Isometric, so that should help:

my recommendation: at500 (because it's head heavy, but a safe bet, if you can spare $100;)) aim to get a 3u, since 4u might be too light.

if anything: try something out first/more...

3. walkinghome

Thanks for the educated recommendation Jerby!! Your advice is easy to follow especially as you own AT500, NS8K, and Cab8. True, my natural game is about control and placement. My need for power is to keep up to pace in rallies rather than turn into a power player.

Finding an AT500 in Australia won't be easy. (Smiley.)

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

just don't hold it against me:p
    I do own a cab8..but last time I played it was about 7 years ago....and I'm 17...

As I don't know how you play/hit it's always to to recommend people rackets...

and you msut also take into account I'm biased, very biased. I absolutly love my woven 7...and don't like the ns8k (did at first, but the the 'umph' just wasn't there).
    Also: general BC comments call the at500 allrounded. so that might explain my recommendation.

NOTES:
    -the cab8 is oval..were all others are iso. this might reduce your mishitting. but a transition-period is almost certain.
    -every single one of those rackets are longer (675mm, ti-10 might be 680..dunno) than the cab8 (665mm) wich might mess up your timing at first, but will probably aid in power..

I hope you can demo teh at500 some more.

5. Josh²

Josh² Regular Member

Student
    Well, I owned a Ns8k and just broke mine in a clash in less than 2 months after buying the racket. ;( I think in terms of singles play, feel, quick manuvering, and control... The ns8k ownz! The feel of it is just another level. But looks like it's very fragile plus the slim shaft. I think I'll say 50-50 for Ns8k and AT-500. Ti-10 is quite out of the picture for me base on your requirements coz it's more sluggish and harder for singles play. But Ti-10 frame is very strong and better power compared to both the other rackets. I guess there will always be a trade-off in whatever you choose.

Consider... :)

6. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Don't be afraid to own a white elephant. Though people probably won't admit, they have all done it. My white elephat was an NS8K. It was good for defense but bad for clearance. No matter how good the defense, clearing to mid court will get you killed. One of the things I like to do to NS8K wielders is get them into a clearance duel and watch them huff and puff. It's almost saddistically cruel :). But, by all means, get a white elephant and be wiser afterwards.

7. walkinghome

Josh², I agree, there's always a trade-off. It's interesting that being a physically weaker players I can wield the Cab8 better than most really light racquets, and also better than big strong armed people can a Cab8.

NS8K has many merits but maybe I ought to steer clear because I occasionally (though regularly) end up tapping the floor when bending low to make a backhand full lift at the net.

CoolDoo6, my white elephant is a Cab20sp + a couple of unknown Taiwanese brands. Owning a > A$120 white elephant would be in a new league for me :D. When I started badminton I loved the Cab20 that everyone else had. Years later when I was working and could afford it and bought one it felt alien in my hands. My style had changed. You're evil with the clearance duels :cool:. I love clearing -- I learned heaps from watching Gong Zhichao. If the NS8K can't clear with routine ease then it's definitely not for me.

8. Josh²

Josh² Regular Member

Student
    So I guess it's down to AT-500 yes? :D
    It's a good bet... But you can also consider the MP99.
    I'll probably get the MP99 since I just broke my ns8k. ;(

9. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Then I guess I have been lucky for owning just one white elephant. Having experienced the complete lack of power from an expensive NS8K I was determined to understand how rackets work and find one with great power. That's when I found Ti-10 on BC. The difference in power was immdietate apparent and I have not looked at another racket since.

I think Cab20 is supposed to be a very balanced all round racket. Perhaps you didn't get the string/tension right ? Getting these wrong can mess up a racket completely.

As you don't sound you have lots of power, I would definitely advise against going for something that is too light. Also too-head-heavy rackets are not manouverable and will tire you out quickly, so avoid those too if you can.

Whatever racket you end up getiing, pay great attension to the string and tension. Keep going lower tension until you start losing power, then you will have found the approximate tension that will give you the most power and endurance - two of the greatest concerns for physically weaker players.

10. Stingy

Stingy Regular Member

You sound like the same type of player I am. I have an AT 500 and it's the first head heavy racquet I've ever bought. Before I played with a Cab 8200 light and a Cab 20. I can say that going from light, even-balance racquets to a light head heavy balance racquet will require a learning curve. I had to readjust my timing when smashing. I found there was less of an adjustment going from the Cab 20 'cause it's heavier.

I don't know what the weight of the Cab 8 is, but I think you'll have no problem going from a U, even balance to a 3U, head heavy balance.

I tried a NS8000 and found it a bit wierd. It was like the head and shaft were put together from two very different racquets. The head felt very solid while the shaft had a little give to it. A plus though, was I felt no vibration down the shaft.

11. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I'm just curious - do you really expect a new racquet to really improve your game that much? For example, a new racquet won't increase your power as much as say... developing your ability to generate power. Actually, it is very enjoyable to beat someone with a brand name racquet while using a no-name brand racquet.

I'd say get one that looks pretty, feels good and just go with it. Have fun!

12. walkinghome

I played competition singles against a big smasher today with my Cab8. Two sets (no deuce) on the new system 20/21 :crying: , 21/15 :) .

Stumblingfeet, I reckon there is a racquet out there that is more forgiving than my Cab8 in competitions against fast and power players. All along I've been doing as you suggested which is developing a proper injury-free technique to hit cleanly & efficiently. For years, I've used whatever racquet is available around the house. I'm like the Michelle Yeoh character in CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON :D where near the end she picks up any weapon to match up against Zhang Ziyi & the invincible sword.

I'm recently open to the idea of purchasing a modern racquet. Until I get my hands on the right one I'll keep using the Cab8. I have a lot of respect for this classic racquet because given sufficient reaction time I can still execute every shot under the sun with it.

Stingy, thanks for the encouragement, I totally follow. I have the AT500 and Ti-10 in mind as these are the ones people have let me try out, but I didnt realise how hard to find these models are.

CoolDoo6, my Cab8 is strung around 18lbs. 22lbs before but I was only hitting 1/2 court. My superlight Domino racquet as at 24lbs and it stayed in the bag until someone loosened it to 19/20lbs. True, you got to make these adjustments and feel what it's like.

13. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Do you not think a new pair of shoes will fit you better if you are wearing the wrong size at the moment ? It is true that you can make your feet skillful and wear any size shoes. But wearing something that fits will certainly be more comfortable and requiring less effort from you. For the weaker (strength wise) players, energy efficiency is of paramount importance. Using the right equipment can make a great deal of difference.

A skillful player can probably compensate for imperfect equipment through skill. This can only be done to a certain extent. What if I give this player a racket with 0lb tension, do you think with all the skills he has, he can compensate for this extreme misconfiguration ?

Before dismissing equipment as unimportant, it is vital to know if the equipment is right for the user in the first place. If it isn't right then it should be changed rather than trying to adapt youself to it.

14. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

If you haven't tried Ashaway MicroLegen XL, I suggest you give it a go next time when you restring. I use that at between 15.5 to 17.5lbs and it gives me enormous power. Of course, your tension requirement is probably higher.

I come to believe the racket, if it isn't extreme in anyway, is less important than the string and tension. You may yet be able to transform your Cab8 into a better racket using the right string.

From the review sections, both AT500 and Ti-10 are regarded as good rackets. Though, with Ti-10 you have to be careful as Yonex replaced it with a different racket and called it Ti-10. Ti-10 has been discontinues since 2002 . so you may not be able find it anywhere but places like HK. At-500 is still in the current line up and you should be able to find it easily. One thing I can say about Ti-10 is that it isn't as extreme as AT700/At800OF in character, and it doesn't lack power.

#14 CoolDoo6, Jul 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  15. walkinghome

You have a use a sub-20lbs tension too??!! :D

I have not given strings much thought, other than when I am asked my colour preference. The norm here is the ubiquitous white Yonex BG-65. I'm sure I'd feel the difference if I tried something new. I once had a base model Babolat and the strings were thick and durable.

The more advice you give me the more I realise how much and how long I've been a "use what you've been given" player.

This comment reminds me of the first time I visited London and played at the Elephant&Castle Leisure Centre with a cheap rent-a-racquet which might as well have been a squash racquet. A giant African man from the King's College group challenged me to singles and won, and his feedback later was good game overall and if I learned to return more smashes I'd be better. :rolleyes:

16. walkinghome

P.S. I have tried the AT700 and both AT800 versions too. Good quality racquets -- I could use them skillfully but something tells me they are not the racquet for me. I don't want to settle for second best (in terms of suitability).

17. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Ti10, AT500 or NS8K

Hi walkinghome,
    I have owned Ti10(new n old version), AT500(light blue colour frame), NS8K(SP n TH series). I am also abt 5ft 7ft height,asian and used to play single when i am 30s but switch to double when age carching up. Of these 3 rackets, I found NS8K is easily for defence n also attack but doesnt give u a solid feeling. At500 is head heavy and is ideal for double player. Ti10,the old version with stiff shaft is good for attack n also quite good for defence. 3U G5 is the best weight and grip size for most asian player. If u can handle 26lbs tension, then this racket is pretty good for attack and defence. Of all the 3 rackets, I still treasure my Ti10(old version), because I have used this racket for the past one n half years, n it is still give me value for money. I am currently trying to get a spare as my current one's grommets and pinholes are slightly damaged due to extensive high tension stringing n restringing.
    To decide which is the best racket for yrself, it is always best to try out and feel the racket's swing n peformance b4 u buy. Good luck man.;)
    Lee:D

18. walkinghome

Update

I appreciate everyone's comments and I want to give an update.

Recently, I was given a Yonex Nanospeed 9000 Type X as a present. Being given a racquet alone is the biggest surprise, let alone a 9000.

I feel like I'm constantly getting used to the 9000 and when I try too hard (i.e. grip the handle really tight) it does not transfer the power. I need to be more relaxed at those points, such as executing a full length backhand clear.

It is not a light racquet. But, when playing it does not feel cumbersome or heavy (I am coming from using a Carbonex 8). It is strange to say I don't have a feel for the racquet yet but the shots that come off the racquet have the desired effect on the opponent. I put this down to the racquet being quite forgiving. I can accomplish multiple netshots in a row now.

So I finally own a modern racquet. And I'm grateful it works.

-----

2 months later my friend Timo bought a brand new (old version) Ti-10 from Hong Kong for me. This one I can really feel the shuttle.

I am enjoying playing more and more. It was important to not rush until the right racquet. Thanks again for the everyone's opinions. A good quality racquet is worth it. Finding the right one for you is a treasure. :D

19. jam@eadg

jam@eadg Regular Member

hey good for you!!! both for having 2 new rackets and finding them working for you :) i hope i will have a similar ending to my story as well.

it seems that we have a similar style of play, then maybe i should thry an ns9k soon. do post more comments on the racket whenever you discover something :) cheers.

20. francasor

francasor Regular Member

Government Employee
    Time To Consider

hi jam! :)

you are considering yonex ns9k? by all means, have one. i'm a proud owner of that kind of racket. actually, i have five (5) model types of yonex rackets but during tournament, i rely more on my ns9k because of it's maneuverability, power and precise shots yet sometimes base on my experience, it is "unforgiving".
    if you are already an intermediate player, it is good to try that racket and enjoy the game.